Panther drivers... I could use some advice.

Nazareth

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Afternoon drivers, I'm looking for any information on panther's flatbed division. I've searched and searched and found nothing positive or negative about that side of them. At this point I'd even entiertain information from a guy who know's a guy.

Also I'm not an expediter, nor have I ever been so that side of the company I'm a little leary about because it's new waters for me and im a flatbed, machinery guy by trade. Any information about that side wpuld be welcomed as well. I would be coming over with my own tractor so no lease nor working for a fleet owner and by some of the things I've read about fleet owners oooooo some of those guys need a good throat punch.

Any how, I hope this is posted on the right section and some of you may know a flatbed guy over there or may yourself be one and can answer a few questions. Thanks for reading.. yall be safe.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey, I'm a Panther driver. I've been a Panther driver since 2006 and know just slightly more than nothing about their flatbed division. I have never seen a Panther tractor pulling a flat. Several years ago while laying over at the Pilot in South Bend someone from Panther called me and asked if I could see a Panther tractor and flatbed parked there. Apparently it went missing and the last location they had was this particular Pilot. I even drove through the truck lot to look for it. Never saw it or have I ever seen one. I'm sure this post wasn't of any use to you but it did clear some clutter from mind.

Nazareth

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hey, I'm a Panther driver. I've been a Panther driver since 2006 and know just slightly more than nothing about their flatbed division. I have never seen a Panther tractor pulling a flat. Several years ago while laying over at the Pilot in South Bend someone from Panther called me and asked if I could see a Panther tractor and flatbed parked there. Apparently it went missing and the last location they had was this particular Pilot. I even drove through the truck lot to look for it. Never saw it or have I ever seen one. I'm sure this post wasn't of any use to you but it did clear some clutter from mind.

Lol, well it was some kind of help if people are just leaving like that. I was told it was 80% and you find your own freight off a board, and very minimal customer freight, trls and equipment provided free of charge. Sounds as if they are left to thier own will to come and go as they please untill out of the blue a costomer calls then its a mad dash to go haul it. I was told that happend 5 -10 times a year per flat they have. It all sounds fair but this board they put me on, is it good freight or just a general load bored? Hmmm I can do that myself where I am but I would save a bit or trl fees and gain an extra 5% of the revenue.

As I have no prior experiance in expedite, and I'm open to all things possible in life, how's the tractor expedite side of things? Could a man still make payments and send home some money or would I set to long and behind the 8 ball with this learning curve I'd have to overcome?

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
From what I know there is only 2 or 3 flat beds. One of the guys just quit because there was not enough work. Basically you are finding your own loads and running under panthers authority. There is no dispatch that find you loads. Hope that helps

Reactions: davekc and Moot

Nazareth

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
From what I know there is only 2 or 3 flat beds. One of the guys just quit because there was not enough work. Basically you are finding your own loads and running under panthers authority. There is no dispatch that find you loads. Hope that helps

That's what I got from the recruitment department. I'm just curious as to what bored the prommised free access to and what brokers they have approved and ones they will not work with... guess that would be something I had to find out the hard way, in orientation, but as a back up is the tractor side a good deal? If i make a move im not one to leave really quickly and I love to do homework before I make any sort of move.

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The boards are getloaded, ch Robinson, and I think Landstar. If I remember correctly they were having trouble with brokers not wanting to work with panther.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I believe T/T for just about any expedite carrier will be kept busy, provided you are a team. The team thing I can understand with straight trucks. For a tractor/trailer though, you are pulling a company owned trailer, why not do relays on longer runs? Maybe they do but it seems like everyone wants teams. Even for T/T.

Nazareth

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hmmmm.... I'mnot really interested in teaming, the thought of giving up my couch and letting someone handle my truck doesn't set right with me. I prefer jist me and the four legged night watchman Jesse James

TNJenn

Active Expediter
I have been in trucking since 1988 as a company driver for a couple of years then owner operator and eventually owning my own company I recently made the move to expediting. As far as flatbed I would suggest Landstar or Mercer you don't have to compete with company owned equipment with either one.

Reactions: Treadmill