Pallets in a Cube Van

CubeVanMan666

New Recruit
Researching
Hello I am looking at getting into the delivery business and i just have a quick question:
Do Pallets and Cube Vans mix?? Or do they put it over the weight limit and what i really need is a Big Box Truck? [like a 10 ton]
I used to do shipping and receiving for Wal-mart and i could have sworn i saw cube vans accepting pallets. I just need a cheap fork lift to lift em into the cube.
The type of Cube Van would be a Ford Econoline E-350 SuperDuty.
Thanks
-CubeVanMan$_27.JPG

Reactions: Deville

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pallets don't weigh much. A standard 4-way pallet weighs about 40 pounds. It's what is on the pallet that significantly contributes to its overall wight. Figure out the average weight of a load of whatever it is you plan on hauling. Look for a truck with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) minus the actual truck weight that closely matches the weight of your freight you wish to haul.

Reactions: vandriver2

CubeVanMan666

New Recruit
Researching
Pallets don't weigh much. A standard 4-way pallet weighs about 40 pounds. It's what is on the pallet that significantly contributes to its overall wight. Figure out the average weight of a load of whatever it is you plan on hauling. Look for a truck with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) minus the actual truck weight that closely matches the weight of your freight you wish to haul.
thanks

CubeVanMan666

New Recruit
Researching
thanks i was actually referring to how many pallets a 12ft Cube Van can handle and i heard that it has the floor space for 6 x40"x48'' pallets with a maximum of 4500lbs. so basically 2 pallets of water or bleach or coke etc. A couple skids of soil or something. That's what i meant.0006827493471_A.jpg

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yoy need to use the door sticker and a truck scale to figure out the actual capacity. For example a promaster is shorter than a sprinter but can haul a significant amount of weight extra.

Reactions: vandriver2

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
thanks i was actually referring to how many pallets a 12ft Cube Van can handle and i heard that it has the floor space for 6 x40"x48'' pallets with a maximum of 4500lbs. so basically 2 pallets of water or bleach or coke etc. A couple skids of soil or something. That's what i meant.View attachment 12025
For a 12' long cube van to accommodate six 40" x 48" pallets the interior width would have to be at least 80 inches wide. If you plan on hauling heavy palletized freight you would probably better off with a small dock high straight truck.

CubeVanMan666

New Recruit
Researching
666.PNG
For a 12' long cube van to accommodate six 40" x 48" pallets the interior width would have to be at least 80 inches wide. If you plan on hauling heavy palletized freight you would probably better off with a small dock high straight truck.

I believe most of these 12 and 16 footers are exactly 7'8'' wide (at least that's what the specs say) so that's wide enough for 2 side by side pallets (@40'' by 48''):p. i guess number of pallets depends on on whether it be 12 ft or 16 ft. the only problem would be dock height but i can see their are wheel ramps available and "Tommy Gates" to raise lower the load to dock height. :cool:I'm not Rockafeller here so i would be starting out with a good used $6000-$10,000 E350 Cube Van, as opposed to a big truck cause frankly i ain't got 30 grand. I will keep the straight truck in mind, but i gotta have funds left over for a trailer and a power jack/pallet jacks

Last edited:
Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There you go! You did some research and found the specifications. If the box size and weight rating meet your needs then go for it.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
View attachment 12031

I believe most of these 12 and 16 footers are exactly 7'8'' wide (at least that's what the specs say) so that's wide enough for 2 side by side pallets (@40'' by 48''):p. i guess number of pallets depends on on whether it be 12 ft or 16 ft. the only problem would be dock height but i can see their are wheel ramps available and "Tommy Gates" to raise lower the load to dock height. :cool:I'm not Rockafeller here so i would be starting out with a good used $6000-$10,000 E350 Cube Van, as opposed to a big truck cause frankly i ain't got 30 grand. I will keep the straight truck in mind, but i gotta have funds left over for a trailer and a power jack/pallet jacks
Just make sure the gvw is under 10,001 lbs. otherwise you will be logging and running scale houses.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm guessing he's running local by the looks of the freight he hauls; water, bleach and soil. Soil? He's a bit stingy with information. In post 7 he does mention a trailer and pallet jacks. No way he can stay under 10,001 with that setup.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm guessing he's running local by the looks of the freight he hauls; water, bleach and soil. Soil? He's a bit stingy with information. In post 7 he does mention a trailer and pallet jacks. No way he can stay under 10,001 with that setup.
Exactly.

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Make sure the pallets are 48x 40. We used to use 48 x 48 plastic pallets.

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Smartass.
img-thing