Padlocks

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
There have been a few posts on this issue. I used to have problems with the locks freezing or the tumblers would get contaminated with grit and it was always a big inconvenience at the consignee.
The following works well for me and with discipline it can work for you.
When the truck is rolling the padlock hangs on the document pocket on the door next to the driver.
I only lock the box when I leave the truck unattended or if I am taking a nap. As a solo driver that is nescessary.
I have been doing this for six months and no lock failures. The lock still looks new.
I take the lock off on my pre-trip inspection and lock it when I walk away from the truck with no inconvenience.
This lock failure is a bigger issue in the colder months but the tumblers do get grit in them from exposure, regardless of the weather.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>This lock failure is a bigger issue in the colder months but the >>tumblers do get grit in them from exposure, regardless of the weather.

>Fish

Th grit is salt and road chemicals. To get rid of it simply soak the lock in boiling hot water,hang it up to dry. I always keep two locks keyed alike. One is always ready to go into service when the other loads up.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also a quality lock such as an Abloy with a rubber boot works well. Periodic flushing with WD-40 and a shot of liquid graphite once a year will keep it clean and working properly.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had similar "opportunities" with padlocks until I bought Master locks with the body and hasp encased in vinyl and a cover that snaps over the lock cylinder. Now the outside may get dirty but the lock is as clean as the day I bought it. I have a set of 3 keyed alike and use one on liftgate controls, one on the right door and one in reserve or for the left door if I really want to Fort Knox the box.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
>Also a quality lock such as an Abloy with a rubber boot
>works well. Periodic flushing with WD-40 and a shot of
>liquid graphite once a year will keep it clean and working
>properly.
=====================================================================

Hum, a lock with a bootie, reminds me of a .....never mind.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Over a long time WD40 may not be the best choice. Given enough time and exposure it tends to gunk up and draws dust. In a former lifetime I worked in the firearms industry and while WD40 was commonly used by some as gun cleaner it was strictly forbidden by the professionals I worked with for the same reason. The graphite is really the only approved lock lubricant I'm aware of.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I did the master lock with the boot also, on my former truck. On this truck, the "Barjan special" started freezing up around August. Sprayed a little wd-40 in it and wallah. Just sprayed it again last week. Not collecting grit or anything.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
All this info is helpful. My std. Masters (2 keyed) have stood the test of time, a Finnish design for $27 died before a year was up (some of you know where that came from). The vinyl covered hasps and so-called weather proof jobs are worthless.
Often I have left mine unlocked as the Master has gotten frozen up- and only a good lighter (or propane) can thaw it quickly. I have been looking for a better year-round lock. I guess the ABLOY IS best? What is the BOOT? Thanks...

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
I guess the point was to eliminate the extra crap. I did. I do not go out of my way to secure the load since I walk around the truck anyway. 1 lock, 3 keys, no problem.

vandecamp

Seasoned Expediter
I've had two Abloys since '03 with the plastic plugs that fit into the key hole, still use them with no problems. WD-40 is not a residual lubricant, it evaporates and is only good as a temporary moisture displacent. Thats why it is not used as a gun lubricant or chain lube by anyone that knows anything about guns or machines that have chains, it also eats o-rings and seals. I use a penetrant/lube called Slick 1 that not only does not evaporate but it has broken loose frozen bolts that nothing else would touch. It's made by the same people that make Slick 50. I found this stuff when I used to work on airplanes and it doesn't hurt rubber seals, doesn't evaporate, and I put a nice coat of this stuff on firearms before I put them in longterm storage. Sometimes I have to search for it, but it's usually found in chain auto parts stores and and occasional truck stop shelves. Worth every penny.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I have not read the other posts, but here is what I have done.

The Padlocks that are offered at the Storeage facilities. Completely round locks, the only way to get them open without the key is a lock smith period.

They are designed that a lock cutter cannot grab them, or you could just remove the back doors on the whole truck.

Now they have frozen up on me, easy cure. A lighter, or some warm water. I user gun lubrication on the locks twice a year. Works like a charm.

About $15.00 each.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have switched to the master locks that are vinyl coated and have a plug over the key hole. Have not had a problem since. I always take them off when I get the truck washed. I clean them often. I bought them at Lowes. They came in a 2 pack for $30.00. I like having two locks keyed the same. GO WINGS!!!!! Layoutshooter

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
something you may not be aware of you are required by tsa and hls to keep your truck and cargo area lock at all times
one of local companies in hampton road was fined over 25,000 dollars for drivers not locking the truck up , if you are out of sight of truck it has to be lock all the way around
and egl is reminding us about this
also don't want to pay out

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
>I have switched to the master locks that are vinyl coated
>and have a plug over the key hole. Have not had a problem
>since. I always take them off when I get the truck washed. I
>clean them often. I bought them at Lowes. They came in a 2
>pack for $30.00. I like having two locks keyed the same. GO
>WINGS!!!!! Layoutshooter

I could cut these in half in about two seconds with a pair of Bolt Cutters. Whats a LOCK FOR?

Buy the round ones and put gun lubricant in them better than the plug and one cannot ever cut into them in seconds let alone hours with Bolt Cutters. Whats a Lock For?

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
GEO, I don't think you can just throw up a few lower case letters and try to shock readers without establishing what you are speaking of specifically, and which organizations you are quoting.
If you are referring to the Transportation Security Administration (tsa), and Homeland Security (hls), you need to specify which sections you are referring to. I as the author of this thread never said I left the truck unattended without locking it.
"A fool and his unlocked possesions are soon parted", I read that somewhere, I think.
Nevertheless, GEO, the whole point of the thread was ease of maintenance with the least amount of effort to secure the big box on the back when not in motion (Padlocks).

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Like I said earlier: this topic is of interest to us all. Locks protect our cargo and load bars, personal stuff, et. al. importance of locking is obvious. I bought a truck Club for my first truck, and use that as well if I leave the truck for a weekend, or other. That's the larger version of the car model.
O.K. did some research on the Master lock site and here are two models F.Y.I.
As Broom said the round lock is impervious to bolt cutters. It is called a Discus type and listed under shrouded locks. About $15.00

Under truck doors, this 6300 series is laminated and has raised iron sides protects the shackles from attack. About $35.00. Since this is listed under doors, I would think it would not slap around and mark up the door. The discus seems more for maximum security in a stationary setting.

ebinrich

Seasoned Expediter
I tried higher quality locks, but road grit seemed to seize up the lock even quicker as I stepped up in "quality". Ended up trying a different approach--cheap, loose lock. The removeable, adjustable shackle model by Master seems to be the one for me. When the lock is opened and closed, it tends to self clean itself. Grit has a way out of the lock. I now lose the locks before they jam, so I quess I'm still going through $4 bills at close to the same rate.

eb

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
didn't mean to shock you with my post, just info to share and talking
about locks though it was a good time to add it
and everybody my now should know what all different names have been abv to

in winter time i used to wrap my lock on back door in a plastic baggie they are cheaper by the box and save time trying to unfreeze the lock , and a couple turns of tape on it to keep it dry

greg334

Veteran Expediter
American Lock, Model 7000 series with stainless steel body and 7 pin cylinder key.

The entire lock can be disasembled and everything is replacable - including the shackel if you need to cut it.

I have had one problem with this lock since I started using it on the truck (I have had all of them for 17 years now), it froze on me after a long trip up to the U.P. with a load. I hit it once with my little hammer and opened it up. Normally I will completely disassemble them and soak them in a degreaser than reassemble them with fresh grease, no problems ever.

These locks are American made and the 7 of them that I have were purchased through the GSA for a project that never happened, so they meet goverment security standards.

In comparison to Master and a lot of other Padlocks, the advantage is comparible price tied with longevity of use due to the maintaince you can do to them. Also American Lock does make a complete weather proof lock but I have not seen them up close and personal.