Owners paying the 60/40 split.

acedogg1968

Seasoned Expediter
{Code of Conduct Violation. Text Deleted - Turtle}

6. Drive by posting (DBP) is prohibited.
A drive by posting (DBP)is when a new or newer member who has a personal issue or dispute with a carrier, dealer, manufacturer, fleet owner, fleet driver or any other entity and makes their first post as a negative attack or public scathing. Posts of this nature are disruptive and serve no purpose and subject to immediate removal. New members are required to have a minimum of ten (10) posts before they can make a controversial post on any topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Don't you just love the little smiley face? It's like he's saying, "Have a nice day," after he thinks he's taken someone to the woodshed.

Have a nice day. :)

DragonLadyTN

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As a Fleet Owner who pays 60\40, pays for the fuel,tolls, truck washes, etc. I must admit I pay in this manner for several reasons. But the main reason is relocation of the truck. What I have found over the years (most from managing fleets) is operators do not want to actively move the equipment as quickly if the fuel cost is on them! I have also found that some carriers are more willing to help relocate equipment when an owner calls in requesting a move! Which for me results in more loads on my trucks!

Now, don't misunderstand. I speak at length to my drivers, get their input, research an area before I request them to move. But the bottom line is the move comes out of my pocket!

As for which split is better 60/40 or 40/60. I would say it depends on how involved you are with your fleet. The carrier gives us the tools to know what our truck are doing. Example: MPH,Deadhead Miles, Loaded Miles, Idle time, etc. The key is to monitor this information and use it! If you see something that is out of line, stop it ASAP! To many owners forget that a simple phone call and a short chat to a contractor can and does correct most problems, if done in the right manner.

Now as for contractors. Just like being a new driver to the business who can't expect a new $150,000 truck right out of school. A new owner into the business can't expect a diamond contractor or team right out of the gate. As an owner your, just like a contractor you have to have a proven track record to attract the top people. This holds true in any business.

As for being a Fleet Owner, it isn't by any means easy. It is a daily battle to make it work. To find the balance!

There is good and bad in whatever you do or where ever you go! Today I am very blessed to have contractors who watch my bottom line as close as I do, and also take very good care of the equipment. I am sure as I progress down this road I will hit bumps, where that is not the case. But weather you are an owner or driver, you have to remember we both have a lot on the line. The owner has the bills to pay and equipment to keep on the road. The contractor has loads to haul, downtime, and being away from home and family. Neither of which is easy! But working together as a team, both can make a decent living.

I do agree with a comment made earlier. An owner, (if a good one) should know what it is like to be behind the wheel for days on end. But on the same token, a contractor should also know what it takes to be an owner. That we hand the keys to a $80,000 plus piece of equipment to a person or persons we just meant, trusting we have made call.

So now you have my 2 cents. Be safe! Have a Great Day!

osumike33

Seasoned Expediter
Comdata or fleet fuel card. Sure wouldn't be giving my credit card to anyone. That is asking for trouble. There are both bad owners and bad drivers. We have seen both out here. Protect yourself with a fuel card. It is not a sure thing the driver won't figure a way to steal from you but at least make it hard for them to do. I have heard all kinds of stories out here that people have done. Seems there is not much honor left in the world anymore. Shameful!

Guess I'm fortunate in getting great people to work with driving trucks I own. I gave both debit cards from my company account as we trust each other, just for convenience sake, and fuel is paid for with carrier fuel cards. Just lost one team for personal family reasons and hoping the new team works just as well. I can't call myself a fleet owner yet with just two trucks..just an owner, and for one I pay 60% and the other 40%, so have seen how both ways work. Since it's two different carriers, there are differences - actually I'd do better paying the one just 40% as that carrier pays high FSC, but will not change at this point, and it's really a lot simpler. It's not a competition - we're in it together, drivers & owners, if you respect each other and they respect the truck and the work they're doing, all will be ok...imo.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Biggest thing in fleet ownership that many don't get is that your teams/drivers are your greatest asset. Some confuse that with their equipment.

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
I must respect my owner to much i guess cause he pays the 40/60 he Gave me a credit card which I use only for fuel and maintenance and I let him know about the maintenance cost before I use it for that why anyone would cheat their owner or driver is beyond me

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Assuming the FSC is fairly decent and you aren't deadheading all over the place, a 60/40 plan will always pay more. to the driver. That is of course with 100 percent of the FSC going to the driver.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess I must have had too many blows to the head and look at this business the wrong way when it comes to getting paid. If you do the math correctly you are gone 24 hours a day, seven days, a week for three weeks with one week off
24 hrs/day - 10 off duty= 14 hrs on duty
14 x 7 = 98 hours per week
98 hours x 3 weeks = 294 hours/month
294 hrs/mo x 12 = 3,528 hrs/year
mininum wage in New York State is only $7.25/hr
over time based on minimum wage is 10.875 per hour.
Strait time 40 hrs wk 2 weeks off vacation typical = 2000 hrs/yr.
strait time $14,500 year drivers still have 1,528 over time at
$ 10.875 hr thats another $ 16,617

so, the total gross income to the driver should be $ 31,117

However you cant go home if youre on the road.
even at mininum wage,
24 x 7= 168 hrs/wk
168 x 3= 504 hrs monthx 12 months = 6048 hrs year
strait time 2000 hrs / year $ 7.25/hr $ 14,500.00 add 4,048 hrs. O.T. $ 10.875/hr = $44,022.00
so in reality each driver should actualy be paid $ 58,522.00 Now who is getting screwed?
The driver.
Your best bet is own the truck, own authority, and get your own local/regional customers.:D

Last edited:

marknolen

Active Expediter
As far as I'm concerned Dave "no disrespect intended" anyone expecting a driver to "live" in their truck 24/7 for only 41,000 a year is a greedy individual. You give me 41,000 a year, I give you the keys to your truck back. "Any" driver with experience can find that kind of money right at home "in most places" driving a tractor trailer or a straight truck and being home "every night" and "every weekend". If it weren't for your drivers you wouldn't have a business in the first place. Customers are all over the place, you just need the savvy to land the work.

Reactions: acedogg1968

BigCat

Expert Expediter
As far as I'm concerned Dave "no disrespect intended" anyone expecting a driver to "live" in their truck 24/7 for only 41,000 a year is a greedy individual. You give me 41,000 a year, I give you the keys to your truck back. "Any" driver with experience can find that kind of money right at home "in most places" driving a tractor trailer or a straight truck and being home "every night" and "every weekend". If it weren't for your drivers you wouldn't have a business in the first place. Customers are all over the place, you just need the savvy to land the work.

If that's how you feel I would be looking for another career. That's just how it is out here. You can do well with a fleet owner but to really do what your expecting you need to own the truck. If I make 40000 a year I'd be happy but I'm not counting on it because perfect high mile weeks don't happen every week.

Not being rude just stating a fact.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Don't believe I made the claim of anyone making any certain amount of money. Not sure where you are getting the 41k from?
But for what it is worth, the nation median income is roughly 36k.