Overweight Penalties

TravisT

Expert Expediter
Can anyone post a link or other reference listing the penalties for overweight in various states (eastern half of US).

I have a 26,000 lb truck that weighs 17K empty, and I'm tired of turning down loads for fear of getting taken out of service, fined, etc. I have found a few ref's on the internet citing fines of as little as $10 for the first 1000 lbs (SD), to a minimum fine of $125 (RI).

I wouldn't risk being more than 1000 lbs over, I'd be happy to pay a small fine once in a while for the privilege, but if they suspend your authority or registration, take you out of service, etc., that wouldn't work.

I know this is probably a tall order since apparently every state is different, thanks for reading.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Your right. That is a tall order. Penalties will vary from state, county. Some have tolorances for so many pounds over, and some will shut you down right there until you can scale legally. That could entail moving your load within your truck to weigh legal, to calling in another and off loading the extra weight.
Some will hold you there until you pay for a overweight permit. That is in addition to any fines.
Not a place to roll the dice too often.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
An easy place to start is your Rand Mcnally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas. If you don't own one, I recommend buying one. It is well worth the money. In the autum months, last year's version can often be purchased cheap as the next year's version comes out. State-by-state weight info is listed there as are web site addresses and phone numbers for state DOT departments. Information changes each year, but buying one every two years should suffice.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think he is inquiring about the overweight penalties, rather than weight limits.

Kinda like speeding tickets, the penalties are usually accessed by the county. Amounts will vary widely even within the same state.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

TravisT

Expert Expediter
I'm mainly concerned about being taken out of service, I needed to confirm that was a possibility. I found another reference to cumulative violations (3 in 12 months) resulting in suspension. Definitely not worth the risk -- thanks for the help.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
If I had a truck that scaled 17000 lbs empty with a GVWR of 25950 and the shipper loads my truck with freight that their BOL indicates a total weight of 8,000 lbs, but it is actually 9,000 lbs and I cross a scale only to get pulled off the road because I am at 26.000 lbs loaded...who gets fined? Me or the shipper?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>If I had a truck that scaled 17000 lbs empty with a GVWR of
>25950 and the shipper loads my truck with freight that their
>BOL indicates a total weight of 8,000 lbs, but it is
>actually 9,000 lbs and I cross a scale only to get pulled
>off the road because I am at 26.000 lbs loaded...who gets
>fined? Me or the shipper?

You!

Gener8

Expert Expediter
I am concerned that no one rplied with the obvious answer

JUST RUN LEGAL!!!!

If people would do this, then alot of us would be running better.. Extra income is not worth the risk. These vehicles are rated the way they are not just for weight but also for safety.. Is that a forgotten value when freight is slow. Come on now the proper response is run legal or get a bigger truck but still run LEGAL.

Some will probably say that I missed the boat. I am way down income wise but I am not willing to jepardize the life of others just to have more income.

JUST RUN LEGAL:) :)

G

The GVW is listed on your truck for a reason. Going over the Gvw puts you at a great risk of having an accident or hurting others on the highway. It's not worth killing someone because you blew a tire from having more weight on your truck to make a few extra dollars. Safety should ALWAYS come 1st. It's not worth it to me, my family means more to me than some load.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts express O/O Since 3/3/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,

Finn777

Expert Expediter
I got an overweight one time in VA the scalehouse guy said most states charge 10c a pound overweight for the first 5000lbs then 10c for weight past that.I was over 1400lbs so it was $14 plus the fine which was $51 so it was a $65 ticket it was drums all the way to the back door that could not be stacked the total freight was only 10500lbs and could be loaded no other way I was over on the steer axle.I remember it well it was on a 4th july weekend picked it up in montreal and payed great money as there was no other trucks around doubt if I would do the same again but the company was desperate.

Gener8

Expert Expediter
A desparate company would have no compassion if you had an accident. If someone got killed neither would a judge.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
We were over 1700 on the front going thru VA. Cost us $62. We had no way of knowing after leaving the shipper, as there weren't any scales for more than 100 mi. Since it felt ok, we continued on.

I don't like the fact that a shipper can load you with more than the bol states, and YOU get the ticket. The shipper gets away with it. That's when I would call up and demand the next higher rate. If they load my truck like a semi, I want pay like a semi.

Freightman

Expert Expediter
If you have air ride, wouldn't some on board scales installed on the truck help in this situation?

Freightman
ATL

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
This is for Gen8 OK I am legal, my truck says right on the side that I paid for the right to be 33,000 GVW well guess what? 12K on steers and 20 on rears does not come to 33.

I do my best but from time to time an axle might be off and I find it real hard to move one piece at 10K after the shipper waited for me to arrive at midnight than went home. I could carry it legal but was over 900 on one axle once.

Things happen out of our control seems in my expierence that the chicken coop people love to see us have mistakes. Just an observation I heard on the CB one day, or every day.

mhoy40

Expert Expediter
in my own experiance the fines for overweight is usally between .8 and .12 cents per pound and always remember the its the driver responsibility to make sure the truck is legal in all aspects including that its on or under weight for the gross and the axle weights cheaper to scale it for 7,8, or 9 bucks than get a ticket also remember that alot of times a truck stop isnt always the only public scale in town.alot of moving companies have scales that theyll weigh you on for a fee.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What you just described has to be one of the biggest challenges for the straight truck folks. Without movable axles, getting that lump of 10k just right has to be a tough judgement call. Add in maybe not having a scale in the area and knowing that the shipper was gone 10 minutes after he put it in your truck, good luck. Another problem is when they lie about the weight to get you to take more than you should. My D-unit friends have told stories of what shippers will try to get away with.