Out of touch

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If her name had been Bertha Anderson, she wouldn't have gotten a penny. She was chosen for her name.
Well said. She made a conscious decision to make a career as a public figure, taking advantage of being a president's daughter. There are thousands of average-looking young women who have earned multiple degrees from prestigious universities that would never have been hired regardless of having no experience for the position and paid $600K by NBC. Sounds like she's laying the groundwork for a career in politics, and if that's the case everything about her is fair game in today's world. The following article offers a good summation:
Chelsea Clinton earned an annual salary of $600,000 at NBC News before switching to a month-to-month contract earlier this year, sources with knowledge of the agreement told POLITICO...

When Clinton joined NBC, many media critics chafed at the network’s decision to employ a former first daughter with no experience in journalism. The New York Post referred to Clinton as “just another spoiled, aimless child of rich, successful parents chauffeured through adulthood by Mommy and Daddy’s connections.”

Chelsea Clinton paid $600K by NBC - Dylan Byers and Maggie Haberman - POLITICO.com

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If her name had been Bertha Anderson, she wouldn't have gotten a penny. She was chosen for her name.
That's pretty much what I meant by "knowledge and perspective": the daughter of Bill & Hillary Clinton has some of both that's probably unique. Whether it's worth what they paid remains to be seen.
Regardless, she wasn't chosen as 'eye candy', as actors on other shows are, and her looks should not form any part of judging her value. If she were a he, no one would, because it is [or should be] irrelevant.

Women viewers, every time they turn on the news.

The inuntended consequence of Hot Chick News Grrrl is pretty funny, though.
Sexy News Anchors' Surprising Effect On Women - Forbes
From the linked article:

While attractive anchors may boost ratings—surely their shining, welcoming faces and hourglass figures effectively entice channel-surfers to stop dead in their tracks—the shocking new findings say that those same plumped lips, glossy locks and tight sweaters may keep male viewers from actually retaining the information they so perkily present.

That’s’s right, researchers Maria Elizabeth Grabe and Leila Samson report that, for men, “emphasis on the sexual attractiveness of female news anchors distracts from memory formation for news content.”
Thing woman has known since dawn of time moment: Sexy Girl=Addled Brain.

That explains a lot. HAHAHAHAHA.

We get exactly what we're after. When they get old and lose their lustre, we just trade them in for a newer model, like a car. And just like a car, if you leave their headlights burning all night, they won't start in the morning.

After almost 20 years of marriage, I was divorced by a man who married a much younger woman [the same one he denied existed] within a few months, so you'll forgive me if I fail to see the humor.
Really, it is such a waste of potential, disregarding the value of women [but not men] who are not [or are no longer] 'eye candy'.
Stupid, stupid men.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That explains a lot. HAHAHAHAHA.
Yep. That's why I watch the NewsBabes generally with the sound muted, because I know I won't remember anything they say, anyway.

After almost 20 years of marriage, I was divorced by a man who married a much younger woman [the same one he denied existed] within a few months, so you'll forgive me if I fail to see the humor.
I admit that I know your history, which is why I chose to point out the absurdity of the trading in for a newer model. I had hoped you would find it at least somewhat amusing. If I opened old wounds, I'm sorry.

Really, it is such a waste of potential, disregarding the value of women [but not men] who are not [or are no longer] 'eye candy'.
Stupid, stupid men.
All true.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Yep. That's why I watch the NewsBabes generally with the sound muted, because I know I won't remember anything they say, anyway.

I admit that I know your history, which is why I chose to point out the absurdity of the trading in for a newer model. I had hoped you would find it at least somewhat amusing. If I opened old wounds, I'm sorry.

All true.

You're forgiven, because the remark about muting the NewsBabes made me laugh. ;)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

That's pretty much what I meant by "knowledge and perspective": the daughter of Bill & Hillary Clinton has some of both that's probably unique. Whether it's worth what they paid remains to be seen.

I don't think you got what he was saying. Or I don't get it, but I believe I do. I believe he is saying she was hired only because her name is Clinton, not for any qualifications she may have or any knowledge or perspective she may have because she probably has none of any of that, only a name they can trade on.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
If you want to be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
From my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you.

Jimmy Soul
I think one of the best pieces of advice that I ever gave my son, was that when selecting a mate that he should focus on, and be concerned with, the nature of the character and personality of individual ... and forget trying to find a beauty queen ...

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I think one of the best pieces of advice that I ever gave my son, was that when selecting a mate that he should focus on, and be concerned with, the nature of the character and personality of individual ... and forget trying to find a beauty queen ...

Good advice, just look at all the Hollywood crowd with their foxie women,,they dont last very long.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

You forgot the second most important piece of advice. Don't disclose the first piece of advice to your significant other. :cool:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Every wife is a trophy wife.

OK, not all of them are for First Place.