one week is all you got

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Since expediting can sometimes take you to places that are tough to get out of, (even got spots get cold, sometimes), I'd consider the ability to book a backhaul invaluable. Particularly in a t/t, because the freight isn't expedited, which means you can combine loads.
DaveKC & Leo are correct, the 15% the carrier takes for using their insurance & authority, and especially collecting the payment, is well worth it.
And Moot is correct, too: the HOS limits make it tough to keep as busy as you might like. Expedited has to go straight through, most times, so getting the 10 hr break in is a big factor in whether the load is even offered to you.

TurkeyHawk

Seasoned Expediter
WOW!!! I started trucking in 1972, (got out in 1999) back then O/O wouldnt haul a load for less than a $1.00 a mile, and fuel was only 12 cents a gallon. What happened???

That small company paying 92 cents is about the best overall package, this highlights the drawing power expedited freight has for those of us out here looking for better compensation as fuel and other costs rise.
You are all being very helpful, thanks

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
That small company paying 92 cents is about the best overall package, this highlights the drawing power expedited freight has for those of us out here looking for better compensation as fuel and other costs rise.
You are all being very helpful, thanks

Say you're getting $1.30 + fsc of.. .40 = $1.70 loaded
You drive loaded 70% of the time, dh 30% of the time
say you drive 114000 total miles, 79800 loaded and 34200 dh miles per year
$1.70 x 79800 loaded miles/yr = $135660
or
$0.92 + .40 (same fsc on loaded miles?) = $1.32 x 79800 loaded mi = $105336 + $0.92 (no fsc) x 34200 dh mi = $31464 = total $136800

Plug your own numbers in there, for what the real rate is, how much you're really deadheading, what the fsc might really be, what the real miles per year might be..

Interesting how .92 isn't looking so bad for all miles, compared to $1.70 for loaded-only. (unless of course my numbers are screwed up!)

Mind you, there might be the potential for extra perks and/or negotiations with the $1.70, and maybe you'd try harder to find backhauls to increase your loaded miles.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
PJ thats okay to run those numbers.....but PII pays .15 cpm more for loaded miles, and .50 cpm for DH miles over 100. your bumping $12,000.00 difference.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was thinking the Panther t/t rate was $1.40 loaded plus fsc and .35 d/h on all d/h miles from current location to the shipper. Empty miles after POD are zero so it's best to stay as close to POD as possible. I'm not positive since I don't run t/t and it could have changed since I last heard anything on it.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
PJ thats okay to run those numbers.....but PII pays .15 cpm more for loaded miles, and .50 cpm for DH miles over 100. your bumping $12,000.00 difference.

Just a stab in the dark, each of the numbers will change for anyone, and the calculations will be more involved when you're estimating dh over 100, some people might be running more than 30% deadhead too, just thought it was kinda interesting how the 2 payplans could come out being similar-ish.. or not.. depends..

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
In MY opinion, I would go solo w/ a smaller carrier such as Bolt or C & M.

Why? There are some solos on here in straights and tractors at Panther who say they are doing great, but others who are struggling with company limitations. Some larger carriers won't offer a solo anything over a 550 miler, even if he is sitting on top of the p/u. Something to think about.

Secondly, paperless logs are very unforgiving for a solo, even when you are attempting to run lawfully. Many bigger carriers are going to paperless systems.

Thirdly, big or small, find a carrier that will allow you to a fairly easy method of obtaining your own freight (for a small percentage). You will sit less and deadhead less from an area that might've recently dried up for expedite. Plus, a lot of smaller carriers tend to work harder at loading your truck, not just covering their customers.

Good luck!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
find a carrier that will allow you to a fairly easy method of obtaining your own freight (for a small percentage).

That's the key, for a small percentage. Most of the companies that make my short list take a BIG percentage if you do find your own loads. That means the load that would have been acceptable with a 15% hickey is now no good with a 38% hickey. That doesn't mean cross them off your list, just weigh that in with all other factors. Be sure and look at all the angles before finalizing a choice.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
92 cents per mile, all miles? Sounds like JB pay. Hopefully, some T/T peeps on here will open up shortly. Geez. I average better than that in a 14 ft cube. Way better. in I think you should set your sights higher than THAT. You'll go broke soon on that kind of pay.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
If you're going with one of the smaller companies, check and make sure they have their own trailers. I know C&M does not.

TurkeyHawk

Seasoned Expediter
92 cents per mile, all miles? Sounds like JB pay. Hopefully, some T/T peeps on here will open up shortly. Geez. I average better than that in a 14 ft cube. Way better. in I think you should set your sights higher than THAT. You'll go broke soon on that kind of pay.

Ya, I hear ya but freight is slow from sources I been contacting, this company is family owned, approx 400 tractors all O/O's with an incredible FMSCA safety rating.

I have one week to make this decision mainly because I been shutdown for going on a month, some of the old posts are concerning.

I see some solo T/T expedited drivers that are complaining about making enough to get by on some old posts, if freight is slow at all I might be better doing the smaller 92 cents +FSC for all miles with a history of quite a few paid empty miles.

Maybe the safe thing is prudent, then I would keep in touch with you all for the next 6 months and see if things get more reliable as a solo expediter t/t.

I consider myself a sharp guy, I feel I could catch on especially with all your help. I love the art and the challenge of negotiation, sounds like that would be one of the keys to my success or failure in expediting.

I don't mind the paperless because 11 hours is plenty to drive, the key is what are the chances of driving 70 hours over a 2 week period, yet alone a 1 week period.

Thanks and keep those great thoughts and opinions coming, April 15th is my drop-deadline to decide.
I know I will be TAXED by April 15th!!!! LOL

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I'm going to chime in for what its worth.I run team,as many say there are slow periods,for some there are, others dont let it happen.i haul nothing but freight for fed ex cc,no back hauls,no broker freight.Ive run solo and team,the HOS will kill you in the expedite business,and as far as solos relaying loads,can happen,but not if there are teams willing to haul that load you may want. They will dead head a team to pick up that long load, if they have time.Landstar is probably the most friendly for a solo,as they are not a 100% expedite company,but their rates dont reflect that either.Someone stated 92cpm,plus fsc,at 4 bucks a gallon,you better not even think about it.At FECC we get fsc for all dispatched miles,and some times that's not enough.If your expenses are low enough that your not under the gun with what you have to make,the you might be ok.If you have whuite line fever,and need to run the wheels off your truck,dont call FECC.Notice.I didnt say anything about panther,i was tought if you cant asy anything good.dont say anything
Good Luck

alborada

Seasoned Expediter
Jeffersin300, Bravo you are the best!!!!!!!!!!Every thing said in the post from you is totaly right for a solo driver , for a under 500 mil ,the logs and ext.
What is the calculation from all of you gys, I don't know but my husband don't make a mill in Pnather and I don't care if thay pay $3.00 a mill thay don't offera any thing - this last 2 weeks thay offer him only 200 to 300 mil and stupid placec like from ON going to NY,MI or just cross the border for a flat tare of $250 PLUS $50 CROSSING THE BRIDGE FOR A 150 MIL . All day today he waiting on load , no one call, tomorow will be the same day - weeeknds a - slow? I agree with you my friend better work for some small company whice don't work with a favorites and who have at list loads and know to take care of TT to . An 15 % for your owne people??????????Common if you are not abele to find amd load the trucks whay the trucks have to be caharge so much , my regular brokers charged me 10-12% but not 15% .........Let be realistic don't just do the stupid calculetion , by this math never go right the things, open finally the eyes and see the how bad and scary is the situation latly with the all economiy and fuel problems, the math left for techers to show to are kids , but this math with stupid numbers DON'T WORK ANY MORE RIGHT. No milles and no good money. Every one said the same only couple people in this isde are the happiest inthe world, common if you are happy and make money- Share with us the rest and help to pay the bills , next year we will pay beack with a 15% :p

alborada

Seasoned Expediter
Yes Landstar it is good for a solo drivers but I don't know for Landstar Expediding , I know about the LH ..........but you have to find a good agent to work only with a 2-5 agents and know where you want to go and find this agents and get drive ..........like you are with owne ICC but thay take more % thay pay now from 100% - 65% whice is not so good , because the agent get 7% for a traiker thay get from this money and only $ 500 escrow........ but if don't get a good agent you are death guy ............I know a lot of polish who work and thay left right a way make nothing and we do very well with them for a 9 months of work made around $158 000 per this period , but we have a very good agents and we nevar waiting some where and we have going from WV to BC , Cnada or ON to Laredo, TX dedicated - auto parts and we was ok going to TX tahy pay from Windsor , on to Laredo $ 4000 one way with pick up in Ft. Wayne, IN and comming from Laredo to On againe $3300 -$3700 but we have a good agent in Laredo and In MI tahn we are good . Landstar is ok for a singale TT .

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You will never know for sure that you made the right choice of carrier until after you have made it.

Make the best choice you can and make a committment too. That is, make up your mind to stick with your carrier of choice long enough to learn your carrier's ins and outs, and to give yourself and your carrier the chance to make the relationship successful.

Once you are in with a carrier, information will be available to you from your carrier and other drivers that is not available now. Absorb and embrace that information with an open mind. Committ to making the personal and business choices that will avail the fruits of your carrier's system to you. In other words, don't fight the system or try to out smart it. Instead, stay with your carrier long enough to learn the system and use it to your advantage.

With any carrier, there are top producers, average producers and below average producers. Learn what the top producers are doing and do the same.

No carrier choice is a permenant choice. Wise expediters keep a plan B choice in mind, just in case plan A does not work out, or in case things take a negative turn at their present carrier. If your first carrier choice does not work out, you can change. If you do change, you will be able to do so knowing you gave your first choice the best chance you could.

The option to change carriers takes the pressure off making the right choice the first time. A committment to stick with your first choice for a period of time and learn that carrier's system increases the liklihood that your first choice will also be your last.

TurkeyHawk

Seasoned Expediter
You will never know for sure that you made the right choice of carrier until after you have made it.

Make the best choice you can and make a committment too. That is, make up your mind to stick with your carrier of choice long enough to learn your carrier's ins and outs, and to give yourself and your carrier the chance to make the relationship successful.

Once you are in with a carrier, information will be available to you from your carrier and other drivers that is not available now. Absorb and embrace that information with an open mind. Committ to making the personal and business choices that will avail the fruits of your carrier's system to you. In other words, don't fight the system or try to out smart it. Instead, stay with your carrier long enough to learn the system and use it to your advantage.

With any carrier, there are top producers, average producers and below average producers. Learn what the top producers are doing and do the same.

No carrier choice is a permenant choice. Wise expediters keep a plan B choice in mind, just in case plan A does not work out, or in case things take a negative turn at their present carrier. If your first carrier choice does not work out, you can change. If you do change, you will be able to do so knowing you gave your first choice the best chance you could.

The option to change carriers takes the pressure off making the right choice the first time. A committment to stick with your first choice for a period of time and learn that carrier's system increases the liklihood that your first choice will also be your last.

Those are some wise words, I will embrace these words and everyones input as my deadline draws near.
Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions, your experience and wisdom is valuable to me.
I appreciate the time you took to share!