OLDER VANS

brewster1958

Expert Expediter
Is there any place for older vans? I have a 1987 Chevy 3/4 ton van. It only has 143,000 miles on it, and could be used to haul expedite. See a lot of vans out there just a few years old, with 400,000 miles plus. I am just getting my feet wet, in expediting. This van is in great condition, and paid for. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That is a nice looking van, May be one to add to the van pictures, eh LM?

2 things going against you is the age of the van. Most companies will only lease vans under 5 years old. WHY! I don’t know. And the 2nd thing is it is a window van. That to is a no – no as a lease is concerned with the companies. When I say companies I am talking of the bigger better known expedite companies. There may be some smaller companies out there that don’t have this ruleing in their rulebook. Finding out who they are, would be your first priority.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Brewster,

Welcome to EO.

As Tony said I can say there is not an expedite carrier that would lease a unit that old. You will really need to make an investment in a new or newer unit to be considered by an expedite company.

Best wishes!

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
On the keyboard of life, always keep
one finger on the escape key.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/fastcomputer.gif
-----------------------------------------

brewster1958

Expert Expediter
I know that I need to update to a newer van, to lease to a major company. Was just wondering if there "might" be a small carrier, or if someone could use such a van. Everytime, I write something in here or other forums, someone always makes me look as if I was stupid, or something. I know all about what needs to be done, just thought I would post so that maybe someone, other than the know it alls, would have a back in the mind thought, that might help. Thanks for all your thoughts, any how.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
>Everytime, I write something in here or other forums,
>someone always makes me look as if I was stupid, or
>something. I know all about what needs to be done, just
>thought I would post so that maybe someone, other than the
>know it alls, would have a back in the mind thought, that
>might help.

Dang... what a reaction! DUDE! CHill!

NOone is attacking you! LOL.

Lawrence and Teacel know more about this business than probably 90% of the people running up and down the road! "Know it Alls"?? Maybe not all, but close!

They were simply, and factually, telling you the truth. Believe me, I have talked to almost every company out there, looking for the cheapest way in with a vehicle. In general, the oldest anyone will accept is:

Van 5 years old.. some require 3

D unit 6 years old, some 5 or less,

Tractor.. 6 to 8 years old, depending on carrier.

They gave you truthful answers, maybe not the ones you wanted to hear, but truthful! Teacel even complimented your van, and suggested it for the photo gallery!

Maybe this business isn't for you, if you get your feelins hurt that easy... noone 'out there' is gonna be that nice!

Dreamer

[font color="blue"]Note: "The opinions expressed above are simply those of one grumpy long haired ol fart, and may in no way reflect the opinions of the other 9 voices in my head."
[/font]

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
Nice van but the windows got to go dude,what you do is take that motor home back there and put you a reinforce floor and hinge the rear to back the back into some type of doors,use the back half for frieght and use the the front half for living quarters. Hawk

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That is a sweetheart of a van, but not one that is practical for mainstream expediting. Maybe mom can take the Girl Scouts in that job on the Cookie tour, and I'm not being negative or sarcastic :7
-Weave-

brewster1958

Expert Expediter
OK, OK, OK, Maybe I was a little harsh about what I said. Yes there are a lot of people with more knowledge than me. I guess I wasn't looking to hook it up with a "Expeditor" company, just someone who might be interested in short local hauls. I have window deletes for the windows, no problem there. I may have to just sell it, and use the money for a down payment on a newer Cargo Van. Oh by the way, the motorhome is for sale also, if anyone is interested.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
re: Short local hauls

If you're looking for something like that, just local.. that's a different ballgame entirely than over the road... I would suggest you call the local courier companies in your area, and see what their requirements are. They may indeed let you run it.. long as you can haul the freight safely, and have room for it. Just remember tho... most local couriers like that??? you'll be runnin small packages, lots of stops, lotta leg work.

Dreamer

brewster1958

Expert Expediter
Thanks Dreamer for the info. Maybe a little leg work wouldn't hurt this ole fat boy. LOL. I stand 6'5", and weigh 320. Exercise probably wouldn't hurt. Climbing in and out of the tractor/trailers for the past 23 years didn't help things out. Lots of miles, been all 48 states, but not really into that anymore. Thanks again.