off duty speeding tickets

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if your out and about when you are off and get a ticket for speeding in your presonnal vch let your carrier know you got a ticket one of our guy's got one
and he told someone that he got a ticket , they told him so what it wasn't in your work truck

so what

he reported it on sheet you have to fill out every year have you got any ticket's etc and he did

last week he was put out of service because he didn't report it to
headquaters, they didn't tell anybody that rules had change
and now have to report any tickets you get etc

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
Ah yes, when operating a CMV one must protect their driver licence and associated record. *Any* infraction, whether in the CMV or personal vehicle, counts against the record.

I had the opportunity yesterday to observe a busy 4-way stop intersection for the better part of an hour... never ceases to amaze me that the vast majority of vehicles are doing rolling-stops instead of full-stops.

STOP means just that... no forward motion. Ah but no, everyone is in such a hurry to get to the next big box store to load up their credit cards that they view coming to a full STOP as a waste of time. <sigh>

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Protect your CDL AT ANY COST!!!
Your future depends on this!
About a month ago we were at home. I always borrow the "extra parents car" (I have no car). Well, I jumped in the car to go to my house and low and behold there is a highway patrolman coming towards me. No problem, that's what I thought! He made a quick u-turn in the road and came right up behind me with his lights on. Hummmm, I thought.
He comes up to the window and says "can I see your license and registration?" Being proactive when I stopped, I was already looking for my license and registration. I had taken off my seatbelt to do so BEFORE he reached the car window. BAD MISTAKE!!!
Well, I could not find my license and I could not find my dad's registration. HOLLY CRAP!!
The officers then says, "Miss, you were not wearing your seatbelt", I replied, "officer, I did in fact have my seatbelt on". He did not believe me!!!!! HOLLY HOLLY CRAP!
Well, to make a very long story short, I recieved 3 violations:
1. not wearing a seatbelt.
2. not having my license.
3. inspection sticker on dad's car had expired.
Not having my license was my fault, my dad's procrastanation (sp?) on the sticker was dad's fault. No matter, I was driving the car! The seatbelt situation was completely boggus but, I learned to never take off the seatbelt BEFORE the officer gets to "greet me" (LOL).
All of these violations where promptly taken to a lawyer and dismissed by the court for a mere $200.00.
Nothing will show-up on my MVR.
Now, I do a "pre-trip" on myself and any vehicle that I drive!!!!
I did not see any reason to let my trucking company know of the infractions because they were taken care of immediately.
If I am wrong about this I would like to know!
Be safe,
Laura

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
Normally the form a company will ask you to fill out asks for any violations/accidents that you recieved/involved in during the year. It will also ask for the disposition of the ticket,etc. List the ticket and if the charges were dismissed, say so.. Keep you records from the court, someone may want to see them later.;)

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
I believe you must report any violations you are found "GUILTY" of, not charged with and i sure am not going to go out of my way to tell anyone anything untill I am found guilty, why open that can of worms,if it is dropped it never shows up and believe me once something is put in you file with a company it will never be taken out.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Maybe I am really grumpy today but when I read something like this -

"last week he was put out of service because he didn't report it to
headquaters, they didn't tell anybody that rules had change
and now have to report any tickets you get etc"

I think it would be rather nice to know that the rules have changed for 'fill in the blank' to let others know about it if they are contracted to them.

Am I wrong?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Amen!

The net return to you can be measured above and beyond the obvious.

1. Speeding violations cost you money when you pay the fine and/or legal fees.

2. Additionally, speeding markedly reduces your fuel economy and you will pay again at the pump.

That is a double whammy!

On the other hand:

My van's sweet spot is 1900 RPM's.

Others who have the same van, and drive much harder that I do, report fuel economies around the 16 MPG range. Driving easy and holding it at 1900 RPM's my van is getting me 19.2 MPG's.

PS. They also had paid out additional monies in fines for driving too fast.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
A small fleet owner I know got 4 speeding tickets in 2 years in his personal car. He has never had a violation in his truck. But the insc co got his record and banged his insc up to more than double for the entire fleet as he was listed as a fleet driver for all vehicles. He complained and got nowhere of course and he wound up laying off a driver to afford insc for the next year. Personally I would have removed myself and hired another driver to run. But not this dude.

Tickets cost and more than just the fine. Insc increases can last upto 5 yrs (up here anyway).

Rob Fis