Odd Dispatch

Wolf_Exp

Expert Expediter
I was awaken early this morning to a call from my dispatcher saying he had something. He explained he had a run that went from Huber Heights Ohio (Outside Dayton) to Oregon Ohio. They will take the pallets off-- do something to them-- put them back on the truck and I can take it down to Pell City, Oh. I thought it was kind of wierd the way they were going to put it on-- take it off-- then put it back on again-- but it was 856 miles-- I wasnt complaining. I went out to my truck to get the dispatch from the QC and it said the Shipper was "FedEx". Now Im half asleep and I read it wrote it down-- went in the house to look it up on map program and re-read the name of the shipper. "FedEx" :eek: It hit me. Im picking up at FedEx who has their own expedite company and expediting it to Oregon? :eek: I get down there and everyone's looking at me "Why is Try Hours herE?" Funny thing is-- there was a FedEx Custom Critical truck sitting at the corner by FedEx terminal. Again-- Im not complaining-- its 856 mile run-- just thought it was funny.

miko

Expert Expediter
My company lets its own drivers sit with no loads, and ship with FedEx too...go figure...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe the FX truck turned it down as paying too little since it fits in a van and you were the nearest available option they had. I'm sitting at Averitt now waiting for an 0900 load tomorrow and just finished delivering a Yellow load to Target. Granted those are both OTR without expediting branches but it's still hauling someone else's freight. The money is the same shade of green though so it's fine by me.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
I know a parking lot full of fex-ex van in Toledo that will kill someone when they find out about this. Some had been sitting there for days and where ready to take what ever came across the QC..

However, for you, GREAT LOAD. I thought my WI to NE was a good one.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I HAVE DELIVERED TWICE IN MISSOURI WHEN AT THE SAME TIME A SWIFT TRACTOR TRAILER DELIVERED A VAN SIZE PALLET OF FED EX CC FRIEGHT. THE DRIVER REVEALED THAT HE HAULS CUSTOM CRITICAL FRIEGHT ALL THE TIME. THEY TELL HIM NOT TO STOP AND DELIVER STRAIGHT THRU.

I GUESS THAT EVERY COMPANY WILL SATISFY CUSTOMER NEEDS IN ANY WAY THEY CAN, EVEN IF THEIR OWN TRUCKS ARE NOT AVAILABLE.

BULLRUSH

Expert Expediter
i'm confused by your posting.I have no problem where you picked up but where you deliver is where i am confused. at first you said it was a in state run i had no problem with that but your dispatcher said it was an 800+ mile run thats when i got confused but later in your post you said it was going to oregan then i said ok you just made a mistake where it was going but then i started thinking how can a load that picks up in ohio going to oregan only be 800+ miles.ps if you took a load to oregan and was quoted only 800 miles and accepted the run i feel sorry for you.The only way i would accepted that load is if i lived in oregan and was looking to deadhead home period.YOU HAVE ALOT TO LEARN AND FAST OR YOUR GOING TO BE IN THE POOR HOUSE IN THE MATTER OF MONTHS. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Even so Dayton to Toledo to Pell City Ohio does not add up to 800+ miles.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In response to message #7

Even so Dayton to Toledo to Pell City Ohio does not add up to 800+ miles.

Maybe that is the miles he drove, not the paid miles.
That trip is roughly 265 miles.
Total round trip would be 530 miles. He doesn't indicate that.
800 plus miles????????????????
I am confused as well
Plus you will never get to the state of Oregon on 800 miles from Ohio
Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
About a minutes worth of Streets and Trips yields a run from Huber Heights, OH. to Oregon, OH. to Pell City, AL. for a trip length of 854.5 miles so I'm guessing it's a typo on Pell City, OH. and that's the true itenerary.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That would work.
Then I would question why FedEx didn't run it?
Even more so since they have trucks sitting all over the place?
It would appear they are farming out there runs to cheaper outfits so they can sustain their company income during a slow time. This is especially true if they had numerous trucks in the area. It wouldn't appear that is in their drivers best interest, based on this post.
It does explain why there are so many FedEx owners looking for drivers. They can't keep folks in their trucks. Look at the classifieds on EO.
Davekc

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I have spent time in the dispatch area where I am currently leased on and I can tell you this goes on all the time. I have been standing there saying I will take a run I am over hearing when they call Bolt right in front of me. They call E1 and there are Nations Express. PII and so on in there all the time. I have never understood how this works but it must be good for the compnaies

Raceman
OTR O/O

chaz

Expert Expediter
I'm with Nations Express and wish I could get a darn load.Think I have had 3 loads in last 3 weeks and not counting 0 loads so far this week.But they keep hiring on.
Chaz

miko

Expert Expediter
And so is it with my company in Milwaukee. I am not busy enough, and nor are drivers from various other companies, such as Jung Express. They just lost 2 drivers due to no loads at all, and the paper is full of ads for drivers. Beats my as...:(

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
Companies are starting to want a truck in every express area. Even if it is a area that *might* generate 1 load a day. As a driver we have to be VERY careful about where we are told to move to. And ask LOTS of questions. How many loads a day, how many loads past 3 weeks, how many trucks are there, how many are enroute. If it does not sound good to you, ask for another suggestion.

I just unloaded in BFE Nebraska. The computer wanted to empty move me to Wichita KS, short of 300 mile, very first thing I did was call contractor support. Dispatch told me they get 3-4 loads out of NE a day (my BS detector went off on that one) The support rep fell out of his chair laughing at that one. Asked if I believed the dispatcher and I said of course not. Anyways I asked the above questions and decieded to take the empty move. My options where basically, wait and see if I get lucky as they get 3 or 4 loads a MONTH out of NE or move to Kansas City or Wichita. There where 4 vans in Kansas City, None in wichita.

But sometimes the computer (or dispatchers) will try to send you where there is already 3 or 4 trucks waiting when there is a area about the same distance that is empty.

chaz

Expert Expediter
Ask for suggestions?lol--Ive asked some dipatchers on the off shifts for a suggestion on where to move.Some say I really dont know,others say call back at 8:00 a.m when a certain person comes in.

I like my company as far as they are nice,pay is good when you do get a load.But as far as support,I am failing right now and I feel as tho they are letting me.

Maybe I am to blame.I live in the Pittsburgh,PA area and usually go to Youngstown,Oh to sit for a load.Always get them from Canton,Cleveland area.
I use to be the only one there.Now I was 4th on list,moved to 3 in about a day,so moved to Hebron,Oh.(supposed to be a hot-spot).

Nothing was moving there,so moved myself back to Youngstown.Screwed myself there.Went from #3 back to #4.I gave up and came home.We use Peoplesnet and they dont give suggestions on where to move.Guess I have more to learn.This is a learning experience,altho I do like this when I'm getting loads.Thanx for letting me whine a little.
Chaz

unvme2

Expert Expediter
Guys,

Lets make sure we understand something here. There are no less then five different FedEx companies and anyone of them could have a need for an outside carrier. Just because an expediter from a different carrier receives a run offer from "FedEx" doesn't necessarily mean it is Custom Critical.

Far as I can tell they have Ground, Freight etc. I am sure we, as expediters are more intelligent then what started this thread and where it has lead. It's common sense guys and it's okay to use.

This is not a personal attack, just a generalization

"days are only rumors we've wasted

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think some were refering to the original post in which he indicated there was a FedEx custom critical truck in the lot.
Of course, he can have been out of hours or a host of other things.
Davekc

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sometimes what happens is that the original shipper turns it over to FDX Freight with instructions to get it to the delivery as cheap as possible,or they may have reasons for not using Custom Critical.

Other things that can happen is that a shipper books with FDXCC and essentially has a truck reserved. Then they look for a cheaper rate somewhere,get it but the BOL still says FDXCC on it vs Joe bob's Express.