Objects in Road

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Unexpected objects in the road sure get the heart racing! I have had a pallet fall of a truck in front of me and some how straddled the thing and made it safely past the object. The other day while driving in my normal granny lane a car passed with two bikes on a bike rack on the back of the car. They fell off and the car beside me swerved to the left and clipped the bikes sending them to my lane. I had all ready moved to the right and as luck would have it a off ramp was right there giving me extra room to maneuver.
All I could envision was the bike rack and bikes grabbing all my air lines as I passed over them. The truck behind me followed my lead and we made it safely past. You never know when this is going to happen but you should still always be ready to react.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
this is why you always must keep a safe distance,not just because you might not be able to stop
when i first started driving back in the 70's,i ran over an object in the road,it went thru my fuel tank and i received a chargable accident.I appealed through the union,but didnt help.I still got chargeable

zman3k

Seasoned Expediter
There was one time when I was driving back from El Paso, albeit in a 4-wheeler, and I was behind a Jeep Cherokee type vehicle, and it lost its rear bumper, the whole thing fell off and slid across the lane and into the shoulder. That was something.

Luckily by that time (20 y/o) in my driving life I had gotten rid of my nasty habit of following to close, the one thing my parents harped on my for the whole time I had my learners permit until I had my license. That harping has paid off thus far though, I've never rear ended anybody.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Unexplained objects, indeed. The other day I saw two freshly -dropped items side by side on the road; a fire extinguisher and a very large pink pillow. Explain that. ;)