NYC Cabbie's Vs EOBR's

moose

Veteran Expediter
IF this law suite comes throw, you will be able to to sue your carrier for enforcing Electronic logs.
we can only hope it will.

Taking Liberties: Cab driver isn't paranoid, the government IS watching him | Fox News

Thanks,in part, to OOIDA, New York City Taxi drivers can now claim this :
""The Supreme Court has recently decided the state can't put a device in your car and use it to follow you around,”

I think they have a good case.
as i understands it, they are suing the 'Carrier', for providing GPS tracking to the Gov..
“We are basically pursuing the same claim in a state court based on the Fourth Amendment,”

GOOD LUCK.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moose your so full of crap about OOIDA and the Supreme Court on the tracking devices, because that was about drugs and such on private vehicles and law enforcement and OOIDA had nothing to do with that case, except a friend of the court brief.

You should go to work for OOIDA since you are so in love with them you spent your own money and made your whole trailer a free ad for them.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Moose your so full of crap about OOIDA and the Supreme Court on the tracking devices, because that was about drugs and such on private vehicles and law enforcement and OOIDA had nothing to do with that case, except a friend of the court brief.

You should go to work for OOIDA since you are so in love with them you spent your own money and made your whole trailer a free ad for them.

Not to be rude but, it sounds to me you are jealous moose has the money to build HIS trailer how HE WANTED it.

Besides if you are a member of ooida you would understand they are "For the trucker". I also was a member and will be again soon.

Mayfield Express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It's almost a shame that those that don't like or understand OOIDA get to benefit from all the good things they've done for us. If you're on an alt app you don't see my signature. OOIDA member #463

BigCat

Expert Expediter
It's almost a shame that those that don't like or understand OOIDA get to benefit from all the good things they've done for us. If you're on an alt app you don't see my signature. OOIDA member #463

Exactly!

Mayfield Express

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No BigCat, its dumb as hell to give free ad space on the side of the trailer and the out of pocket expense with NO ROI is dumb as hell..

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Zorry and bigcat, OOIDA is not all that. They do more harm then good a lot of times, because the more your against everything the more people tune you out. I've tuned out most of OOIDA's claims because they are like ATA and give half truths in most things they put out.

Did either of you know or thatOOIDA was for the EOBR rule for bad actors in trucking, until they in my opinion found out some of their members were bad actors. Then they were against the rule and now they claim it was because of FMCSA were going to make another rule that all trucks that log would need a EOBR. Well to me it shows me that they don't care about getting the bad actors out of trucking, which would benefit all the good companies large or small.

People who follow OOIDA or any other org blindly are idiots or morons can't tell which.

UncleTed

Not a Member
Zorry and bigcat, OOIDA is not all that. They do more harm then good a lot of times, because the more your against everything the more people tune you out. I've tuned out most of OOIDA's claims because they are like ATA and give half truths in most things they put out.

Amen to that!

Did either of you know or thatOOIDA was for the EOBR rule for bad actors in trucking, until they in my opinion found out some of their members were bad actors. Then they were against the rule and now they claim it was because of FMCSA were going to make another rule that all trucks that log would need a EOBR. Well to me it shows me that they don't care about getting the bad actors out of trucking, which would benefit all the good companies large or small.

True. They care about member revenue!

People who follow OOIDA or any other org blindly are idiots or morons can't tell which.

Last edited:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Of course, that could also apply to any organization. Planned parenthood, ACLU....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I do not agree with OOIDA 100%. I was a Teamster 19 years. I do not agree with them 100%. Any organization you support you've got to look at the big picture. The overall results.
I don't agree with everything my carrier does. For me,right mow, they are doing more good than bad, so I'll be supportive.

UncleTed

Not a Member
I do not agree with OOIDA 100%. I was a Teamster 19 years. I do not agree with them 100%. Any organization you support you've got to look at the big picture. The overall results.
I don't agree with everything my carrier does. For me,right mow, they are doing more good than bad, so I'll be supportive.

What have they accomplished? Name one thing! I defy you to show one positive change O.O.I.D.A has made on our industry. They are an organization whose main purpose is to collect as much membership revenue as possible.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
What have they accomplished? Name one thing! I defy you to show one positive change O.O.I.D.A has made on our industry. They are an organization whose main purpose is to collect as much membership revenue as possible.

Well I know they are for the driver more than carrier. I was involved in a Dac suit against a company where ooida was able to clear my name of false info. That's how they helped me.

Mayfield Express

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
They nailed Landstar in a class action suit that proved Landstar violated federal truth-in-leasing regulations by making undocumented markups to items charged-back to driver compensation. That case held that motor carriers may not impose undisclosed or undocumented markups on products or services (like a QC, for example) charged-back on driver settlement sheets. Thus, while these courts would allow motor carriers to earn profits on charge back items, they may do so only if the amounts of such profits are fully documented and those documents are made available to drivers.

So, OOIDA got carriers to either fully document their markup profits, or, in the case of several carriers, stop marking them up. It was an outstanding victory and quite a feather in the cap of OOIDA, not to mention a major positive change in our industry.

Other than that......... they have no juice with the FMCSA and have failed at opposing every rulemaking change opportunity, and the only other court cases they've won they did so by getting in there after the fact (they're a friend of every court) and riding the coattails of whoever brought the case in the first place. They do, however, take a lot of credit for defeating bill after bill that had no chance of passing in the first place.

If you feel you get something out of OOIDA, then you should by all means pay those dues. After being a member for a year I opted out of renewing. My comments and opinions here are my own, by the way, and should not be construed as necessarily being the opinions of anyone connected with EO or OTM.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
They took Minn to court and cleaned up the sleeper abuse issue. They took Tenn to court and cleaned up an abusive system. They've had unfair taxes overthrown. I'm not an OOIDA historian,I just see there out there fighting for US,you and me, so they deserve my membership money.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I know one OOIDA board member personally. They take what they do very seriously. Sure they want dues money. They can't do what they do without income. The $1000 OOIDA rebate on my new truck paid 40 years of my dues.
They also offered unladen liability insurance to us in 2001 that we couldn't find anywhere else. Not Bob-Tail. Unladen liability...quite different.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Three years ago OOIDA worked with the DOE to study the savings associated with APU's.
OOIDA Finance any APU I wanted,bought at any dealer,at just over 6% apr. I supplied them an ECM printout. Then each 1/4 for the next 3 years OOIDA asked me for my APU hours. Over the three years I was refunded 40% of my cost to purchase/ install the APU.
OOIDA supplied info to the DOE about costs to obtain an APU and let them know how much idleing I did not do because I had an APU.
This was important data for the DOE to obtain from a very diverse group of O/O's. And a nice benefit to a number of OOIDA members.

UncleTed

Not a Member
Three years ago OOIDA worked with the DOE to study the savings associated with APU's.
OOIDA Finance any APU I wanted,bought at any dealer,at just over 6% apr. I supplied them an ECM printout. Then each 1/4 for the next 3 years OOIDA asked me for my APU hours. Over the three years I was refunded 40% of my cost to purchase/ install the APU.
OOIDA supplied info to the DOE about costs to obtain an APU and let them know how much idleing I did not do because I had an APU.
This was important data for the DOE to obtain from a very diverse group of O/O's. And a nice benefit to a number of OOIDA members.

So if I understand you correctly you did research for them and then you paid them for doing it......nice.

UncleTed

Not a Member
Well I know they are for the driver more than carrier. I was involved in a Dac suit against a company where ooida was able to clear my name of false info. That's how they helped me.

Mayfield Express

Any lawyer could do that provided you weren't really guilty of the charge.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
You just want to argue, I don't. Any attorney could have done it but not just anyone wanted to handle it.

Mayfield Express

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I received about $3400 for reporting the hours off my APU four times a year, three years in a row. I needed an APU.
I also remember cashing a check they obtained for me on some tax they had gotten ruled to be illegal. I'm thinking this may have happened before I was a member.
If you were a truck owner back in the 70's/80's you may have gotten one,too.
You may want to go to their website and read all the good things they've accomplished.