Non CDL Truck Question

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Oh, the answer is known, and Paullud & Turtle posted it. What's typical is that it gets argued anyhow. :rolleyes:

Others may have been lead to ACCEPT their answers to no avail...........But.........to each their own.

Sad thing when "Non Truckers"......IE......Contract Drivers.........on open discussion boards present advice as legitimate answers to questions that can....and WILL BE....the exact opposite of the truth as that State Trooper is writing out the deserved ticket that Driver deserves.................

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Others may have been lead to ACCEPT their answers to no avail...........But.........to each their own.

Sad thing when "Non Truckers"......IE......Contract Drivers.........on open discussion boards present advice as legitimate answers to questions that can....and WILL BE....the exact opposite of the truth as that State Trooper is writing out the deserved ticket that Driver deserves.................

Well luckily it is a clearly written regulation so there is no problem beating a ticket if the office doesn't know the law. They all have computers so if you have to explain it to them they can just look it up so you won't have to fight the ticket at all.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
My truck which is under 26k also has air brakes & when I first bought I was told I need an endorsement for them.Then read the rules & found out I don't & had a few level 1's by DOT a few times & haven't had a problem yet.Other than I they let me know one had to much travel which costs some $$

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

But it's not a sad thing when furniture salesmen can diss contract drivers on open discussion boards [for drivers] by calling them "Non Truckers" - nope, it's pretty funny, actually. ;)
PS The legitimate answer is the one that can be defended by citing chapter & verse in The Book, because the Trooper can't trump that argument.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
But it's not a sad thing when furniture salesmen can diss contract drivers on open discussion boards [for drivers] by calling them "Non Truckers" - nope, it's pretty funny, actually. ;)
PS The legitimate answer is the one that can be defended by citing chapter & verse in The Book, because the Trooper can't trump that argument.

I didn't know that there was another qualification for being considered a trucker other than me driving a tractor trailer. I wouldn't take the word of a trucker anyway but the clearly written regulation provided by a cashier would work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
See, Paullud, you get it: whether one is a contract driver, a trucker, or a furniture salesman is irrelevant [except to some people], what matters is whether you know the right answer.
Turtle drives a Sprinter, I drive a S/T [and have driven T/T], but the assumption that my answer would be 'better' than his [on points of law] is what gets idiots in trouble with the DOT.
The law doesn't giveadam what you drive, when answering a question about the law.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I was amazed to recently learn that all those tractor-trailer drivers at Landstar are actually "Non Truckers" because they are, instead, Contract Drivers. EO is a veritable font of information.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I am still amazed how many think that having a CDL makes one a "Professional"....DOH

It does. They tell you in most orientations that it does..a professional among professionals.
They also told me the general public would look up to me.
I would be a knight in shining armor..
I was vital to the very essence of the american economy.
I had gained a family.
The company would respect me.

And some other hogwash which I can't remember...,,,

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I hope you're with the family that remembers your name.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
pro·fes·sion
noun \prə-ˈfe-shən\

: a type of job that requires special education, training, or skill

: the people who work in a particular profession

: the act of declaring or saying something openly

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Sad thing when "Non Truckers"......IE......Contract Drivers.........on open discussion boards present advice as legitimate answers

Amen brother..... It's even more sad when those " Non Truckers", (furniture salesmen, etc.) desperately attempt to validate their existence by repeatedly reiterating their self perceived legitimacy...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
pro·fes·sion
noun \prə-ˈfe-shən\

: a type of job that requires special education, training, or skill

: the people who work in a particular profession

: the act of declaring or saying something openly
Yep the special skill of flipping a hamburger correctly!

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Anyone who gets to keep what's left over after paying the bills is a professional. The smart professional learns from his mistakes and has fewer and fewer bills to pay as time goes along.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
funny...when was the last time you seen a "professional driver" go to a seminar or conference...or take additional training to maintain and improve their driving skills?....how many have taken "skid control" for instance?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
funny...when was the last time you seen a "professional driver" go to a seminar or conference...or take additional training to maintain and improve their driving skills?....how many have taken "skid control" for instance?

I've seen and heard people snicker at Bob and Linda Caffee about their professional stance...honestly I am guilty of it too....but I am wrong dead wrong..sorry about that Bob and Linda..they highlight what a pro driver having a pro career is all about...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I tried -called a place [actually, a person] in Pa, he said he had to cancel it because there weren't enough people signed up.
This is an area where it surprises me that most carriers don't do more to encourage drivers to sharpen their skills. I understand that FedEx does something like a 'truck rodeo', and I applaud that approach to improving safety, because drivers actually enjoy it. But really: how much is out there for us to take advantage of?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I tried -called a place [actually, a person] in Pa, he said he had to cancel it because there weren't enough people signed up.
This is an area where it surprises me that most carriers don't do more to encourage drivers to sharpen their skills. I understand that FedEx does something like a 'truck rodeo', and I applaud that approach to improving safety, because drivers actually enjoy it. But really: how much is out there for us to take advantage of?

Maybe a carrier could arrange something with a qualified instructor....(Hint: John)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I think that many professional drivers take advantage of seminars and classes at a truck show.
Rutherford's CCC seems to fill up.
Early in my career I attended a government sponsored 2 day log book course that was aimed towards management.
Scheduling and costs associated with time off probably keep many away.
On line courses are getting more popular, but there has to be a ROI. Whose going to drop a bunch of money to have someone tell them what they already know.