No parking means no standing I guess.

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
After crossing the Ambassador Bridge, clearing customs and paying the toll in Detroit, I pulled onto Fort street and immediately stopped in the unused merge lane to pick up my toll receipt that fell from the visor cd holder that doubles as a toll receipt holder. I put on my 4 ways and picked it up. A state trooper was in my side view mirror literally seconds after I stopped. He said, "You are in a clearly marked NO stopping, standng or parking lane. Give me your drivers license and registration".
I complied, but the sign in front of me said No parking. I may be splitting hairs but I was pizzed. He gave me a ticket and asked me what does No parking mean to me. I told him.
I can't find out what my fine is yet. Any ideas on what to expect?Should I fight it?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think it's a safe bet that what you can expect is to be required to fork over some cash - how much, I have no idea. Should you fight it? Entirely your decision, but I believe I would, armed with photos of the sign that says "No parking", and an honest explanation. That's me - I get real upset at the idea of handing over money, without getting anything for it, but, what have you got to lose?

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
I feel the same about handing over cash. If I set a court date It'll be scheduled the day after I get a nice 1500 mile week-end load to Florida. Time lost from driving has to be justified...........crap

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think you got picked up by Michigan's latest:

See below:

Michigan truck cops cracking down on cross-border traffic
05/08/2007
TORONTO -- Cross-border carriers -- both Canadian and American -- can expect an increased level of highway enforcement while traveling into Michigan this summer.
According to the Ontario Trucking Association, whose executives met recently with Michigan State Police officials to discuss enforcement strategies directed at commercial traffic, there will be increased attention at Ontario-Michigan crossings and the corridors leading to them (I69, I75 & I94) until October 1st.

After this date, says OTA, a U.S. federal funding program requiring the State Police to place increased emphasis on cross border traffic will no longer apply.

The program is a result of "significant revenue disruption" brought on by the temporary cancellation of the Single State Registration System (SSRS). The replacement for SSRS, known as Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) is scheduled to commence on October 1st.

The state police told OTA that the border enforcement goal is to provide enhanced safety and security, and not to "unnecessarily impede commerce."

This exchange, notes OTA, allows the association to become more aware of issues and trends regarding enforcement practices in Michigan.

OTA members that perceive their company has experienced an unreasonable level of enforcement in Michigan, should contact Geoff Wood by e-mail [email protected] with complete details of the inspection including inspection reports and citations.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I pulled up in front of a Medical Building to Pick Someone up and got a Parking Ticket sign said NO PARKING. went to court told the judge I never left my Van and to me that was stopped I wasn't parked. He agreed and dimissed the charges.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Just to let everyone know i have a friend that works for the michigan DOT and he has been told to really start cracking down.The reason he was given is the the state claims they are broke and need to generate some revenue.Well what better way to do it then hit the truckers.About a 1 mile from my house is a spot for a DOT to setup portable scales they have a wider shoulder and all.He has been sitting out there chasing down trucks making them go back to his setup and go threw full dot inspects.I watched him do this almost all day one day.They are also cracking down on landscapers.My neighbor does lawn mowing and what not and was told he has to have commercial plates on his 1/2 ton chevy and all ratchet strapes need to have tags with the dates and weight they can hold plus all the other rules and regs for commercial vehicles.The funny thing about this is i called my other friend in ann arbor and they are not even get touched by dot.So watch it in michigan.