No more prayer at High School football games

zorry

Veteran Expediter
And if a kid, or a group of kids want to pray before a game, it'll be unconstitutional to deny them that right.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably have to go to Tebowing.

images

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
And if a kid, or a group of kids want to pray before a game, it'll be unconstitutional to deny them that right.

What about others right to no religion at a public school event...where does it end...who's religion do we pray too...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Everyone has the right to pray quietly to whoever/whatever they want to.

And the right not to pray.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's a prayer I never understood how that bothers a non believer it would be like me watching a coffee commercial I don't even remotely like coffee so the commercial is meaningless to me. If you don't believe then a prayer should have no meaning other than 30 seconds wasted.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Why can't they follow the law and not preform there prayer at a public school function...religious free zones..that's what PUBLIC schools are..

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I think if one is afraid of Religion they should move to a country not founded on Christian principals.
Or with a large Christian population.

You have a right to be religion free. Just don't deny the majority's rights trying to protect your rights.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I should move...because others feel there above the constitution and just do as they please....NOBODY is denying anyone religious freedom...there just has to be a neutral ground...neutral ground = PUBLICLY FUNDED SCHOOLS.. why is that so bad...

If one wants to pray before the game...join a religious school...pray all you want...

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Also..if god does exist ..Dont you think its kinda shellfish ..to ask for his help in a innocent game ..considering the condition of the world..he would be busy helping those in real need.....just a thought..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why can't they follow the law and not preform there prayer at a public school function...religious free zones..that's what PUBLIC schools are..

And just WHERE does it say that in the Constitution? Here is the First Amendment to the Constitution, just to help you out.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[SUP][1]

[/SUP]There is nothing there about schools being a religious free zone.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Again I ask why does it even bother you. If someone doesn't believe I would think they would just chuckle at all those presumed fools.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since a larger number of people are not offended by prayer than are offended would it not be simpler and impact less people for those against it to go to private school? While going to private school should they not have to continue to pay taxes to support public schools with prayer allowed?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
And just WHERE does it say that in the Constitution? Here is the First Amendment to the Constitution, just to help you out.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[SUP][1]

Are you sure? I thought we received a new Constitution. ;)

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

Google... Establishment Clause

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I. GRADUATION PRAYER
The Supreme Court has long held that the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment forbids school-sponsored prayer or religious indoctrination. Over thirty years ago, the Court struck down classroom prayers and scripture readings even where they were voluntary and students had the option of being excused. See School Dist. of Abington Township v. Schempp, 374 U.S. 203 (1963); Engel v. Vitale, 370 U.S. 421 (1962). The Court earlier had struck down a "released-time" program providing voluntary religious instruction in public schools during regular school hours. See Illinois ex rel. McCollum v. Board of Educ., 333 U.S. 203, 209-10 (1948).*

More recently, the Supreme Court has held that a school district may not require that students observe a moment of silence at the beginning of the school day where the purpose of such a requirement is that students use that time for prayer. Wallace, 472 U.S. at 40. In a similar vein, the Court has held that the state may not require the posting of the Ten Commandments in public school classrooms, Stone v. Graham, 449 U.S. 39, 41 (1980)(per curiam), and may not require the teaching of "creation science" in public school science classes where evolution is taught, Edwards v. Aguillard, 482 U.S. 578, 596-97 (1987).*

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Since a larger number of people are not offended by prayer than are offended would it not be simpler and impact less people for those against it to go to private school? While going to private school should they not have to continue to pay taxes to support public schools with prayer allowed?

Why should my child be subjected to YOUR religious practices In a publicly funded event??

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Their momma's must be proud of their contribution to the destruction of our Constitution. FREEDOM lost is VERY hard to regain, and likely never is. Every loss of FREEDOM is a gain for EVIL.

We have been traveling a path, for a VERY long time, that will lead us to a point where we have NO freedom, just a life controlled.

I want ANYONE to explain how a "school district", within a state, within a city, is somehow the "Congress of the United States". The federal government should NEVER have been allowed in the business of education, in ANY way, shape or form. They also should be required to abide the the Constitution, which was written to LIMIT their power and retain the primary power for the states and people.