no love from the tractor trailer

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I drive a van and get the cold shoulder treatment from T/T drivers, straight truck drivers ( with the exception of Cher and HighwayStar) and many van drivers. Maybe its just me!

I've got to ask you why you wish to seek acknowledgment from T/T drivers?

I always make an honest effort to make the lower class feel accepted.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
[it's gonna happen, no matter where or how you park, sooner or later. Even at WalMart.
Maybe especially there, lol.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

We have never been hit in a Wallyworld or a Sam's, however we have been hit 3 times in truckstops once in the big truck lot, and twice in the front lots.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
I have run into this quite a bit, my wife even more. Eventhough we both have TT experience and most of the TT guys are shocked that we know how to slide tandems, fifth wheels and also can help them back into a hole. I would say some of it is jealousy , some simple rudeness, some of it size ego. You'd be surprised though as to how many TT guys come up and ask about straight trucks and expediting.

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
It's got to be that we get to eat at Cracker Barrel instead of fast food truck stops!!!!

...what you trying to say? we can get in cracker barrell too..how you think they get the food there? lol! we just prefer to hang out at truckstops and eat greasy truckstop food and subway all the time!!

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I simply ask " whose name is on your truck, title, and plates? Who signs your paycheck? If they appear to be a company driver, Now its my turn to put them in thier place. I give them a profesional wake up call. I point out that I have my own authority, I work my own customers, I own the truck, I pay the bills, I pay the taxes, fuel maintenance, DOT shakedowns, and have everything I own on the line. So who is the real truck driver?

They tend to shut up preaty **** quick and more than once have had T/T drivers agree.

Besides, real truck drivers especialy Vets will give you respect regardardless of what you drive
as long as you are not a moron on the road, truckstop, loadind dock or on the radio.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Why is it that most of the tractor trailer operators refuse to acknowledge us I drive a str8 truck live in my truck , fill out log books buy the same fuel as them but get treated on the road and even in truck stops get the cold sholded, does any other expeditor experience this??????

You mentioned in an earlier post that you are new in the business. Just do your job to the best of your ability and give the other driver thing time to work itself out. As you meet more and more, you will find that some are respectful and others are not. That's more about them than it is about you.

I remember a time in Diane's and my first few days on the road when I got on the CB and asked where the closest truck stop was. Someone came back and said "Exit 4, Driver. There's a TA at Exit 4." I thanked the man, turned off the radio and spent the next few minutes quietly rejoicing ... He called me Driver! He called me Driver! I talked on the CB and he called me Driver!

I was new then and such things were important. Having been called Driver many times since, it does not matter like it did back then. So too, I think with your desire for acknowledgement from the big rig drivers. It will come with time and it will matter less.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I always try to give a driver the benefit of the doubt....a long day, tired, not feeling well or whatever....everyone gets a mood on once in awhile....I've had little problem relating to the "big guys"...most are polite and respectful of my little "Baby Diesel"....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I remember a time in Diane's and my first few days on the road when I got on the CB and asked where the closest truck stop was. Someone came back and said "Exit 4, Driver. There's a TA at Exit 4." I thanked the man, turned off the radio and spent the next few minutes quietly rejoicing ... He called me Driver! He called me Driver! I talked on the CB and he called me Driver!

Cool! Its little things like this that make it important for newbies to post their experiences here. That must have left quit an impression on you to remember after all these years. I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning. Oh, yeah, I haven't eaten yet. Posts like Sluggo's thread about being out on the road, away from home are more pertinent to newbies because they often contain the little stuff like "he called me driver" that after awhile the grizzled vets tend to forget or dismiss as unimportant.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I left my rewards card on the cashiers counter...I heard a shout....Hey Driver....Hey you driver....I turned and was puzzled why he was looking right at me......you forgot your card, Driver....sure made my day.....

TropixBum

Active Expediter
Just remember. There is a different breed of drivers out there from what it used to be. I can remember 20, 25 years ago of drivers helping out others, flashing lights at drivers when they pass. Stopping if they saw that a driver needed help. Times have changed. There is a lot on people’s minds. More & more stresses to contend with. Some people just don’t think or acknowledge others when they pass them. I will raise my hand (Guilty). So don’t take it too personal. Just smile & ride on…….. Remember, All please be careful.:cool:

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
And just when you think your accepted, the lady behind the fuel desk ask if your in the "little" white truck and all the other drivers laugh.

Sent from my DROID X2 using EO Forums

rodeojunkie

Seasoned Expediter
@ tenntrucker...that's when I smile and say yes I'm in the truck that gets better fuel mileage than your tractor and I never have a problem finding a parking space :)

rodeojunkie

Seasoned Expediter
Very true JOHNCLARK!!! When I was with load one I rarely moved the truck for less than $2.00 a mile :), sometimes alot more :)

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
come on now, we get paid good, but ?

if you were double loaded all the time !!

Last edited: