No forced dispatch, what that really means?

Alxxx

Expert Expediter
Hi everybody,
When company says they have no forced dispatch, what are the consequences to occasionally refusing a load? I do understand it may vary from company to company, but in general is it ok to refuse a load form time to time to get home for a couple of days or in case something happened?
Thank you very much.:) :) :)

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
This is an FAQ at many driver gatherings, comparing forced dispatch perceptions or realities. It's the nature of this business that many of the loads offered the drivers are not finacially lucrative; therefore, drivers are tempted to refuse these loads in anticipation of an attractive load. In some instances, all available drivers from a given carrier consistently refuse to take poorly paying loads from the same shipper so the shipper moves it's business to a carrier whose drivers are willing to take this freight. That may be business that also includes great paying loads, also lost forever.

What's a carrier to do to encourage higher load acceptance rates? Some will move you to the bottom of the dispatch queue at each offer refusal; some will place you out of service after a couple of refusals; some will offer incentives to encourage greater load acceptance; some will do nothing; and, some will just ignore you for a while.

I suspect any carrier will want to have a heart-to-heart talk about your future relationship with them if you refuse more than you take.

We all refuse some loads for any number of reasons and this is likely factored into the carriers fleet size decisions. So, the more you refuse, the more trucks they lease, the more trucks they have, the fewer loads you are offered, so, while waiting for the big loads, the more you refuse.....and round and round we go.

The bottom line is, as an independent contractor, you must look out for your bottom line, but in so doing, consider the bigger picture.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Very well put! The only thing I can add is, sometimes the dispatcher is in a jam to get rid of a run. Maybe taking that run will get you a good run later when you're not due for it... who knows. I've heard of backstabbing dispatchers who suddenly forget your favors, but I've never had that problem.
Being that I'm driving at a flat rate, the only times I see a run as unprofitable are a run with way too much deadhead, and one with too low a rate. Teams have a problem with runs being too short, too often.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We follow alot of things before accepting a load. Length of run is not as important as the DH to get to it followed by the DH on the end. As fuel prices keep ticking up, we find that we must scrutinize our runs much closer. While fuel surcharges ect are climbing, they are not keeping pace with the fuel increases.
"Business man first, and driver second"
Davekc

Turbod_86_stang

Expert Expediter
I have only had a few instances where i refused loads...

1. Due to lack of rest i physically could not do the run safely..

2. If it is a thursday for example and i am leaving for vacation friday i will stay open for the shorter runs(under 300), but if they call me with a 600 miler i would refuse, but i don't feel as bad because i know there are other drivers chomping at the bit...

3. If i have been on the road for a long time and need to go home so i still have a girlfriend when i get there...:7

I never turn down the shorter runs because when i unload them i almost always get called for better ones from there because the short ones put me in a good freight area. I try to think of the company i lease to as my own and carry the good business name for them. I have even found a plant to use us because my buddy worked in shipping. Just put yourself in the dispatchers shoes.. would you call someone if you knew they would only except long runs and was not thinking in the best interest of the company, only the quickest way to line their own pockets... Just something to think about...

Take care and drive safe(r than me);-)

manmic48

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Be careful about tuning down a load, some companies believe in punishing you even if they tell you we don't force you to take a load. Acme truck line is one of them companies that will punish you for it. Like not dispatching you for a week.

olie

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
my thoughts on no dispatch is no being micro managed i can pick what ever loads i want run where i want how i want and go home when i want??? with no office politics or drama. complete freedom.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But the info is still valid.
That is VERY true. Hi Ragman hope you and yours are all good

My personal view in 2024, I take only what is good for me and don't give a rat's ass what isn't. Not my job to ensure a large faceless corporations profitability, they won't ensure mine

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That is VERY true. Hi Ragman hope you and yours are all good

My personal view in 2024, I take only what is good for me and don't give a rat's ass what isn't. Not my job to ensure a large faceless corporations profitability, they won't ensure mine
Hey Broke, glad to see you back. All is well here.

Reactions: brokcanadian