No Expediter is an Island

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was talking to a friend recently about how we, as expediters, have changed in the last few years.

It wasn't too long ago that you would find grills cooking in the grassy area at the Detroiter. People would be sitting around on lawn chairs and talking, and enjoying life on the road. When it got too cold, we would move inside to discuss world affairs over coffee.

Alot of people won't talk anymore. They seem to sit in their trucks and avoid anyone who just wants to say "hi".

I think we are cheating ourselves by doing this. Life on the road is much more enjoyable when you are among friends.

Hooligan, and I drive a van for Panther. You will see us wandering around truck stops. You can't miss us. He is a 20 lb Jack Russel, and I am the aging hippy on the other end of the leash.

So, the next time you see us, say "Hello".

Does anyone else see this same trend?

Stay safe

Bob and Hooligan

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Bob
I can relate to exactly what you're saying. I see alot of drivers sitting around along the Ohio Pike near Cleveland killing time and waiting for the sun to come up. I've stoped at times to say hi but was cut short or was treated like an alien.
I run the Ohio Pike every night with an Express van and if I see ya you can bet I'll stop and say HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Bob,

Point well made. I remember when Dayton South would have to seat Expediters 20 to a table. Even if you didn't know anyone at the table - they would welcome you anyway. There was a real family thing going on.

It is sad how attitudes have changed. I agree with you 100%. Maybe people can start the move back to the way it was.

For those who have never met Hooligan (and Bob too)here is a picture of them.

http://www.expeditersonline.com/2002/April/images/Road_Issues845a.jpg

Lawrence
Expediters Online.com

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well there are islands and there are islands. I am friendly to anyone who comes up to me and wants to chat but I no longer go out of my way to find fellow expediters.I stopped this a few years ago because I got tired of all of the negativity that some people seem to have.Also the BS stories that you know do not have a shred of truth to them. I remeber one time at the Detroiter I had to listen to some guy from Baltimore ranting and raving about how lousy a company Roberts was. Finally I said to him" If you are so unhappy,why don!t you leave and try something else".Well he replied and told me to do something that is physically impossible so I left. The complainers seem to take center stage these days. So I pretty much stay in Walmarts,Meyers etc.
Now if someone does come up to me and starts in with a whole bunch of Negative stuff I either leave or ask them to find something pleasant to talk about,it!s tough enough on the road without being dragged down to thier level..Stay safe.Perhaps the Hooligan has the right idea,I am sure he just listens and doesn!t comment.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Seems to me that expediters went from "were all in this together" to somehow we are all pitted aganst each other. I think DVA helped this along.

Its really sad. One of the first things I remember when I first started expediting was I was at a truckstop and my battery went dead. Before I shut the key off there was a driver there with jumper cables and another backing his truck up to mine to hook the cables to it.

I do go along with the negativeity. Sometimes its hard enough to keep from looking for a running car and an air tight garage I don't need someone there offering to lend me a book to read while sitting in it.:+ Maybe with the upsurge in the economy will help bring back the positive feelings and people will gather again.

Anyone is invited to aproach me in a truckstop if they see me. (Although with my big mouth you will hear me first) I will see you all at the ExpediteExpo. I will be easy to spot. (usually In am lurking around places where there is food...lol)

This is me in my usual habitat, a truckstop resturant​

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey Bill--------
Where's the BEEF!!!!!!!???????????
I can do some good old eating also.
I sure hope I can make it to the EXPO so I can get to meet all you guys and gals. I'll be the one with all the red fur!!!

This site is proof that the love for one another is still there!

I have met some drivers of vans and straight trucks that express being intimidated by others, or become smothered with lies from someone trying to get you to beleive he/she is the only Expediter getting 5000 miles a week. "Frankly we don't give a dam!!!!!! And they're not tough guys neither!!!!!!!!!!!" Ignore them long enough and they'll go away.

I am who I am amd I'm okay with me. I love what I do and I like to see others do good/better than that. I just don't understand why people have to act like someone they're not. What ever happened to the respect for one another? "LOL" All

LrBcom

Expert Expediter
Hello all,
For several months now I have been researching expediting as a new career and most of my information has been gleaned from this website. I live in a really remote area and there are very few if any opportunities to have face to face conversations with an expeditor. In fact, the only expeditor that I have ever encountered here was extremely negative.

Well, this past Friday, I decided to take a trip up to the Detroiter to see what was what. This was a nice 1600 mile round trip. I must say that every person that I approached was very forthcoming and willing to pass on what information they had. Their level of experience ranged from brand new to 9 years in the business. Many were owner/operators and none of them were very negative but yes they were all staying in their vehicles and not interacting with each other. Mostly it looked like they were tired and trying to rest.

Some were a little standoffish at first but soon the information was flowing and I had a very informative and worthwhile trip. It was kind of interesting to me that no matter what direction the conversation started in with when they discussed expediting, ultimately they ended up relating all the good adventures and experiences they have enjoyed.

As I indicated, it was a very good experience for me and the only disappointment was that I didn't stumble onto a nice dedicated run in a cargo van that was available for me right then and there..LOL.

Les

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have only ever once come across a fellow expediter who I would class as a "prick." I was at Ford in Norfolk, VA one morning and was behind this fellow D unit from Panther. He was out shining up his truck, and so I thought I'd get out and chat with him. He not only would not talk with me, he basically shooed me off thinking the God of trucking (whoever that is) knew who he was and was blessing his shiney Alumi-junk. I would have to guess he was new to this so I shrugged it off thinking he has a lot to learn. All others have been the nicest folks I could ever hope to meet.
Everybody has their "dingbat" photo, here is mine. I guess I look like your typical truck driver. Distinguishing features: Brush cut, beer gut, Tee or sweatshirt, jeans or shorts with knobby knees, and worn sneakers. If you are ever in need of a good laugh, I'm relatively easy to find on the east coast and south.
-Weave-

jwmeyer

Expert Expediter
Well guys, I run straight truck, but am not yet an expediter. It's the drivers out there that have drummed my interest, always friendly or helpful. The only bad attitude I get usually comes from the guy sittin' on 5 axles. I've talked to a few of you guys here and there, and am always impressed. I never fail to walk away from the conversation without a smile.

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Weave,
As proud as you are of that new truck, I'm surprised to see you standing in front of the truck. I would have thought you would stand along side of the truck so we could see it better!! Take care. Mike

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well last week several expediters including me came together in the spirt of the old days that Bob and Hooligan mentioned.
I was on a layover in Lynchburg VA on Tuesday and Wedensday.Hotter then blazes,99 degrees etc. If any one has ever stayed in Lynchburh you will know that there are no adequate trucker facilities. There is one old ratty truck stop on US 29,used to be a old ratty 76 truck stop.You will probably come out dirtier then when you went in. The only place to go to get a shower and get cleaned up is in Roanoke 55 miles west.
I was parked and chatting with a Tri State guy and another Fedex CC B unit,we were all bitching about the heat and being dirty.The Tri State guy said "Why don!t we all pay $15.00 and get a room and we can all use the shower separately etc. Well we did,we got a Days Inn room for $48.00,got cleaned up and stayed in the A/C all day,had pizza delivered,drank some adult beverages etc. That night only 2 of us were left so we flipped a coin to see who would sleep in the room.The other guy won which was OK with me ,and the next morning I used the shower again and we stayed till checkout and I got a trip out.So good things still happen out here.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Rich,

Great story!!! Sounds like the "good ole days"....now!!!

Lawrence
Expediters Online.com

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The comeraderie is still out there, where it´s always been. It´s hit or miss, like it´s always been, in my experience. There are still guys and gals hanging out together. Just not in every truckstop, everyday. I hit stops where there is conversation, and others where trucks are parked and no one is socializing. It happens that way. I see drivers at docks, some talking, some sitting in thier trucks. When the converstion does get going, there are times when it´s more negative than you would like, and other times when it´s the "joke hour". I still feel the fraternity of truckers no matter where I go. Trucking mirrors life. Good neighbors. Not so good neighbors. Bad neighbors. One of the positives I have experienced is, everytime I have broken down on the road over the years, some trucker, who had a schedule to keep, ALWAYS stopped to help. Do what they could. Same thing when at a dock and those times when you just need another pair of hands to help you out of a spot. Never failed. I´ve been on both sides. It´s still the "good ole days", I think.