Nissan NV

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Did all the GM dealers work on the Duramax van when it came out?

Nope.

But isn't it basically a Titan with enclosed truck bed? So in theory any Nissan dealer that can fix a Titan engine/trans can fix an NV engine/trans?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
But isn't it basically a Titan with enclosed truck bed? So in theory any Nissan dealer that can fix a Titan engine/trans can fix an NV engine/trans?

One huge advantage is the ability to take these anywhere to get worked on, another is for those of us that like to do our own work there is a lot of room under the hood. I plan to start saving now for the extended length version.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Do you know what kind of mileage he's getting?
I think he said around 15.5. Same as his Ford. He was telling me that different gas in different states seems to give him different milage. For instance, when he fills up in Iowa his mpg goes way down.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I think he said around 15.5. Same as his Ford. He was telling me that different gas in different states seems to give him different milage. For instance, when he fills up in Iowa his mpg goes way down.

The guy at the expo said they expect to have a diesel version as well.

rikd57

Seasoned Expediter
The Nissan reps at the Expo are from Buckeye Nissan in Columbus, Ohio. On Friday, they had a regional rep at the show who is taking your comments back to Nissan. When I first invited them to the Expedite Expo, they had never heard of expediting, but Matt and Jim from Buckeye have now seen that we may be one of their best customer opportunities. So I expect that this may put pressure on Nissan to "expedite" the necessary improvements to their product.

A few responses to your comments...

[*]These units are avalable with 120 inches behind the seat. What percentage of your van loads are more than 2 skids?

[*]The parts ARE READILY AVAILABLE at NAPA, AUTOZONE, and any NISSAN dealer because it is on the Titan chassis.

[*]As for maintenance cost-- OIL CHANGE => $40-$50. Sprinter owners are telling me that they are paying $150 to $200

[*]Gas in Iowa often contains a higher percentage of ETHANOL which reduces mileage.

I will encourage Jim and Matt from Bukeye Nissan to join this discussion so that they can answer your questions and receive mor of your comments.

Camper

Not a Member
[*]The parts ARE READILY AVAILABLE at NAPA, AUTOZONE, and any NISSAN dealer because it is on the Titan chassis.

[*]As for maintenance cost-- OIL CHANGE => $40-$50. Sprinter owners are telling me that they are paying $150 to $200

This alone could be a big selling point, particularly if they follow through on their plans for an extended version.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
So I was telling my friend about the extended version that was coming and now he's wanting to trade his NV in. Lol

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
What percentage of your van loads are more than 2 skids?

Not sure that it matters. The more space, the better. The CargoMax/UltraMax units have 14' of usable length, the extended Sprinters have over 15'. If you want to compete with them, you'll need to at least match them.

Exactly 10,000lb GVWR, 16ft of usable floor space, 6ft height of doors, 50" between the wheel wells. Put all of that on a chasis that weighs in at around 6,500lbs empty and gets 20mpg. That's all ya gotta do :) Oh yeah....keep the price down around $30k too! :)

Last edited:

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
we have a 2011 avg of 1.33 skids per load. many others can reply to the 3 skid load.

I'm somewhere in this range as well, probably more in the 1.5 range. Without my spreadsheet, I'm guestimating 12-15% of my loads are 3-4 skids and they've generally been long runs.

Losing those runs would be devasting unless you knew you were going to win an even better 2 skid load immediately afterwards.

For the cost if a new Nissan vs a used cargo van that can carry 2 skids, the cargo van should win out. Comparing it to a sprinter is comparing it to apples and oranges.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ill say it again, these shorties would do great in local cartiage....they are a darn nice unit....that said, I wouldn't invest a dime in one until the longer load floor unit is available...

As to the # of loads that are more then 1 skid...that depends more on your carrier then anything....

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
But if it's a three skid load and your van only holds two, than you would lose it. Do any carriers here pay by weight or skid?

E1 pays a couple different ways
1. Over 100" is a buck
2. Over 48" is a buck
I don't know if this is official but over 1800 lbs we also got a buck.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Load 1 pays % of what they charge, but weight and dimensions are considered when their rate is figured...

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
And it really only matters if your carrier rewards you well for that extra skid or two.

Would you turn down a 2 skid load if it didn't pay more than a 1 skid load?

Doesn't increased revenue = increased money in your pocket? My company pays extra for Sprinter loads but even they didn't, taking a 3 skid load at the same price as a 1 skid load is better than sitting and not running. Its not going to cost me significantly extra unless its super heavy.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I went to a Nissan dealer and measured the distance between the back of the seat (with the seat all the way back as far as it could) and the back door. It was 8'9". 120" was the distance from the rear door to the base of the center consul. That distance is listed in their brochure as 121.9".
I wrote to Nissan telling them that if someone were to buy the NV believing the had 120" length and not having that length made that van unusable they could end up with a law suit. Their information is misleading.