Nissan NV HD S HighTop V6 fuel mileage

mzraik

Active Expediter
Hello All,

I just purchased a Nissan NV Hightop with a v6. The drive home was in extreme high wind gusts, and I must say that the NV handled very well. Fuel mileage according to the indashometer, ran no lower than 17.6 and topped out at 21.3 (Good tailwind).

I expect that the NV will avg 18-22 empty on the highway and hopefully 15+ loaded.

As time goes on, I will periodically post my fuel mileage based on purchases, load weights, and road conditions. I feel with this newer vehicle being introduced to the industry, it is important to share information like this.

I will also post my setup for the inside - Etrak etc., GVW including CCC. (My bodyweight and all the trimmings).

Attachments

• NV2500HDHighTopSV6.jpg
    NV2500HDHighTopSV6.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 436

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I rented a NV HD for a trip to Georgia from Kentucky and I have to say it was a very comfortable, controlled ride. The freight capacity was also very impressive.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I rented a NV HD for a trip to Georgia from Kentucky and I have to say it was a very comfortable, controlled ride. The freight capacity was also very impressive.

while I still think they are fugly.. They do impress me in how they drive and the room inside. If they could just make one 4 feet longer...

(I still don't know how the tiny axle under a sprinter can keep the truck up)

dolphin

Seasoned Expediter
Thank for the future info! I will be purchasing a Truck(under 10,000) this Fall and really like Nissan.
Did the dealer say anything about longer versions?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Saw a brand spankin' new one at the T/A in Lodi last night. Painted black with the gold cats on it, very nice.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
i can see them as a good alternative to the ford and chevy vans but until they come up with a longer body that can holded 3 skids, it will be limited in just how it will be used...but they are nice..

mzraik

Active Expediter
No mention about a longer version at the Fort Wayne dealer, but I didn't really push the issue.

mzraik

Active Expediter
i can see them as a good alternative to the ford and chevy vans but until they come up with a longer body that can holded 3 skids, it will be limited in just how it will be used...but they are nice..

It's the hightop with the doors to match that give it the edge...it fit's in between the CV and the Sprinter.

mzraik

Active Expediter
As time goes on, I will periodically post my fuel mileage based on purchases, load weights, and road conditions. I feel with this newer vehicle being introduced to the industry, it is important to share information like this.

I will also post my setup for the inside - Etrak etc., GVW including CCC. (My bodyweight and all the trimmings).

Here are a couple of pics and some explanation:

With this setup - 108"L x 68.5"T x 52"W - I have chosen 2200Lbs max, although legally I can go up to 2700-2800Lbs, according to the GVWR Math (I will scale it just to make sure). It also has a little more room for odd shape cargo as far as length and width. 132" straight up the center, (imagine a roll of carpet/stack of 12' lumber) at about 12" wide, and the width can go out to 54" at the wheel wells and the back doors.

I haven't fully decided where everything should go yet so it's a little messy. Some of the details within the setup are not easily visible using my smartphone camera. The main thing I wanted to show is how I set up the wood planks and Etrack. Not that I would claim this as revolutionary by any means, but given the design of the floor by Nissan, this worked out pretty well.

I like the planks better than plywood so I can easily get a strap hook on the pallet an use that to pull out the inner pallet. The hook part of the strap can go on either side of the center of the pallet, or one hook on each side. When the forklift pulls back, the strap hooks don't rip up the wood, rather they ride in the gaps. If any part of the wood does get damaged, the replacement is easier than plywood in my opinion. The Etrack is held in place by self tapping metal screws - the placement on the floor was chosen so that the screws had the extra steel from the tophat shape of the frame support to bite into. I looked for this when I bought the truck. There are additional D-Rings as well, so if I get a really heavy pallet and feel I need the extra cargo securement, I can use them in conjunction with the Etrack, otherwise, I use the Etrack with the belt and ring clips to criss-cross the load.

The D-Rings are rated at 5000N each according to the manual. That's 1124 Lbs after the conversion, so with a properly rated strap using a D-Ring on each side, holds a rated 2248 Lbs (Although, I would only count on 1/2 of that, back to 1124Lbs) after all, let's be safe out there! There are 6 D-Rings set up through out the truck. So, if necessary, I can "read from the good book" to Mr. DOT as far as securement goes.

There are some storage baskets I hung using a system I found at the Bigbox store. I chose this because I wasn't sure how all my stuff was going to fit, and where (The system has baskets, hooks,etc.). After making room for the freight, one must make room for the driver (Me) and I didn't want to construct the normal side panels that I have seen in most vans. I felt it would restrict the width I was able to carry(54" down to 48"). I do have things like a chair, tools, etc., which are all movable to accommodate the odd sized cargo. Even though 99% will be 48" x 42" or 48", there are those occasional funky loads (Robotic welding arms and other things).

The foam is my mattress, to which I will place my sleeping bag on, and then a top blanket/sheets for summer, and simply crawl in for winter. My legs will comfortably fit between the seats, and the foam is more than enough to handle the wood planks, however, I also could use a cot or a beach chair cushion. For me, the foam is good enough. There is also enough room to sleep cross ways behind the seats with 2 pallets on board. I might have to lose a few pounds, though.

As far as mileage goes, I don't have any useful data yet, but I will post it when I get it. We are waiting for the Authority to come through (21 Day waiting period), about 1 more week and we'll be off to the truckstop.

NVTruck01back.jpg
NVTruck01.jpg

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nice looking van, keep updates on gas mileage please. I ' m looking at the 3500 models ( v 8 ) with 9900 gvw.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What type wood are the planks? What size are they? How are they secured to the floor? The one I looked at had a rubber mat on the floor. Did you fasten through that mat?

mzraik

Active Expediter
What type wood are the planks? What size are they? How are they secured to the floor? The one I looked at had a rubber mat on the floor. Did you fasten through that mat?

Hi LDB,

I removed the rubber mat. You have to unbolt the back of the seats (and the center console, if you have one, I removed my console completely), then pop up the little screw type caps that plug into the floor. I used a screw driver for the caps, but you can literally use your hands and pull gently. Carefully pop up the door entry plastic covers and pop up the remaining screw caps, and I think there is 1 place on the side entry where it has a plastic white lip type cap that attaches to the metal edge under the entry cover. The rubber mat also has a mixed fiber insulation that is glued to it. I just rolled it up, covered it in plastic garbage bags to keep it safe from most critters and stored in the house. I may find a use for that later.

Take it slow and you'll not have too many problems.

The wood planks are run of the mill 1x6x8 wood you get at the bigbix store. I did not use treated wood, but I could have (I also could have used 1x6x10 boards). The planks are 1 x 6 x 8 even though the real life measurements are about 1/4" less. The way it lined up between the Etrack and the planks, I did not have to rip any of the planks down in width, but I did have to cut short boards to finish the full length (Again, I could have used 1x6x10, and only had to make a couple of cuts, hindsight 20/20, you know). They fit across from one beveled flat top to the next on the metal floor. I placed my screws so they would be close to the edge of the plank, tap into the metal and sink them in just enough so pallets won't catch on them. The combo of the glue and the screws should be enough to hold it in place.

Note:** E Track pieces are 10' and are not cut. I was able to install them as one piece, but they do go under the seats a couple of inches and extend to the back doors to with in 1/4". I put these in first, wood is easier to cut! **

I used both liquid nails and self tapping screws to attach the planks to the floor. I suppose you could lay down a sheet of plywood first, glue and screw that tho the floor, and then continue on with the project, but I was also trying to keep the weight down, reduce the amount of cutting and ripping, and keep the height dimension for freight as Tall as possible.

After the re-modeling of the floor, I took it to Ziebart (8 Lbs of stuff added).

I am also aware that cargo arrangements may need to be flexible, so if I had to make a change, it could be done without too much re-work. I also have options on different kinds of improvements that can be made in the future. The dimension at this point are 113" Length x 54" Wide x 69" Tall, and there is extra room up the center to the dashboard if you needed it for oddball freight. These dimensions would pack the truck wall to wall so to speak. I use a little smaller dimensions 108" x 52" x 68.5" to ensure it will fit through the door and includes the securement on the Etrack.

I think I have answered all your questions LDB, and as usual, gone on and on :) .

Mark

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not too much at all. Thanks for the details. We'll look forward to your updates.

mzraik

Active Expediter
Any updates on fuel mileage ?

Hi wvcourier,

Finally, I have a moment or two. So far, empty rolling down the highway is a consistent 16-18 mpg. Loaded it averages 15-17. It is not as good as I had hoped it would be.

I have had some 500-800 mile runs through different environments and winds, etc.

It is what it is...

Respectfully,
Mark

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Those are respectable numbers for a high top gas engine van. What is your average open country freeway cruising speed? Does your van burn E-85? If so, how often do you fill with E-85? What is the axle ratio?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think those are about the best numbers I have ever heard of for the missing. Most Web posts I've seen seem to say 14 - 15.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

subzero89

Seasoned Expediter
A word of caution with this vehicle. I own a 3500 HD-SV High Roof. I have decided to upgrade to a large straight and trying to trade this in at close to value is impossible. It is not recognized as a commercial vehicle like the Freightliner or Mercedes Sprinters. The best offer I received was $10,000. So I have hired a driver for my Nissan and I am buying the straight truck outright.

I think those are about the best numbers I have ever heard of for the missing. Most Web posts I've seen seem to say 14 - 15.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums