Newbie with a question

SonnyS

Seasoned Expediter
I've been lurking around this site for a bit and have to say it's full of valuable info. Ny question is would an 18' box on a straight truck be a bad idea? I've read so many post where a 22' is rarely ever full and have a deal that i'm attracted to on an 18'. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance

Edit: Fed Ex CC

Last edited:

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
Allot of that depends n what carrier you sign with if any.some do allow that short of box but most want a 20 or 22 footer.best to call the recruiter for the company your looking at and ask them. If on the otherhand your going the own authority route i would think the bigger the box the better there by giving you more options. It could be heart breaking to find one's self 2 foot short for the big 2500 mile pay-out

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
one of the keys to success in this business is to be able to make yourself available to haul whatever fright is offered. It is when you start to put limits in the way that your income suffers..sure you can get loads that will be fine for a 18 ft box, but when those runs that need a 22 ft come your way, you won't be getting them, dispatch will move to the next truck....

So i guess the thing to ask is the deal so good that you can pass on future earnings....

This type of question comes up from time to time about reefer units, is it worth it...well now you are talking alot of money so you have to do some serious research as to cost verses income...with a box length, well to me the savings of 2 -4 feet isn't worth the lost in the money it will bring in....
as was said, lose 1 run from virgina to ca, and any savings is gone, with just one run lost......

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When making our D-unit (22' box)/C-unit (14' box) decision, we went with the smaller box (ending up at 16') because at the time we knew there would be plenty of reefer freight for the short box and we wanted to use the extra space on our 40-foot truck for a larger sleeper.

If you do not have a specific reason for running a smaller box on a straight truck, with the tradeoffs that give you something in return, a bigger box is the way to go. The more freight you can expose yourself to, the better off you will be.

You might have a good deal looking you in the face right now on a truck with an 18' box. Keep looking. In these times, I would think good deals on 22' and 24' box trucks can be found too.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
not to sligtly change the subject,I drive TT for the reason of more run opportunities,as a straight truck,you should consider the 22 ft box,maybe even 24' if you dont have to have an oversize sleeper.As phil said,he does well as he is in a C reefer,less competition

greg334

Veteran Expediter
As phil said,he does well as he is in a C reefer,less competition

Night, he is also White Glove and gets the better loads. There is a lot he left out about his situation that matters.

Now for some real world comments;

I have a reefer truck (C unit) and got to tell you, don't go this route in these times.

The key is flexibility.

Having the larger truck, that carries more weight will put you in a better position to be used more often than not. Having a lift gate is better too but a reefer, unless you are independent or work for a company that allows you some flexibility of finding your own loads, don't bother - the maintenance cost will get you in the long run.

In these times, having anything less than a 20 foot box will leave you competing with vans. It happened to me when I was with FedEx and has been happening with my present company which is no fault of my present company but Fedex is a different situation.

Even if the recruiter says "you'll do fine", don't believe him and many who have been running with smaller trucks know not to say a lot.

If I was in the market, I would not hesitate to seek out a truck that is a class 8 with a 24 foot box and a lift gate. I just saw a few the other day that were under 40k but I believe that you can find them under 20k.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
I would go with a cabover with a 28' to 30' box and a LG with atleast a GVW of 46k. Of course I am a small carrier so my opinion may not be what a leased on "independent contractor" want's to hear, but as others have said be available to the most freight as possible. I agree with Greg with what he said about the reefer, he is spot on as usual. :D

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
the larger box is great if you have your own authority,but most of the carriers wont use a box that size.I did see a cab over the other day with a 24 ft reefer box,he was leased to fedex supply chain,hauling pharmecuticals