NEWBIE WANTING EXPEDITING INFO

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
FIRST OFF I CHECKED THE SCHOOLS IN MI THEY ARE ALL FOR CLASS A TRUCKS..SO I WAS WONDERING ABOUT CLASS B SCHOOLS..WHY PAY 4000-6000 FOR SCHOOL IF ITS NOT REQUIRED..I AM VERY INTERESTED IN EXPEDITING...AS IVE STATED BEFORE I AM IN THE MICHIGAN NATIONAL GAURDS SO I HAVE TO BE HOME FOR DUTY A LITTLE MORE THEN THE AVERAGE PERSON..I HAVE APPLIED OR TALKED WITH A FEW RECRUITERS.. AND IT SEEMS THAT WHEN THEY FIND THAT OUT, THEY JUST HAVE NO TIME FOR YOU..DONT GET ME WRONG SOME DID SPEND A MINUTE ON THE PHONE WITH ME...BUT THATS THE MAX..I WAS A RECRUITER FOR THE US ARMY..AND IF I RAN IT LIKE THEY DID, I WOULDA SURELY FAILED...IT SEEMS PEOPLE IN THE REAL WORLD (non military) HAVE NO PATRIOTISM..(makes me wonder what this world is coming to)...Yes i have a very high credit rating 789 so therefore i would have no problem getting financed on my own straight truck if i so desired...is everything about money??? surely some company out there could use someone like myself..i am retired and 43yrs old..and was just looking at a new business oppotunity...i am sure expediting is it...however i cant find any takers...MAYBE I WILL START MY OWN LOL.. PANTHER 11 IS WHO I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO DRIVE FOR...IVE READ THESE FORUMS FOR DAYS ON END,, AND IT SEEMS THEY RATE RIGHT UP THERE..THANKS BRIAN

TryHoursRcrtr

Expert Expediter
Brian,
I can't speak for the other expediting companies, but I do know that we have in our fleet drivers that are in the reserves. I actually have one driver that is over in Iraq right now. Your contractor status shouldn't make it difficult to make it home when you need to be home. I know my driver too the time to make copies of when he had to be where, and that way dispatch knew when he had to be back at the house, to make it to drill on time. One of the keys to expediting is communication.

Christine

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Just for your information , I once new someone in the National Guard that managed to get a military tractor trailer license and his state (RI) just gave him a CDL A when he presented that license to them . That was not a good thing ! I worked for the company he ended up driving for and when asked to train him I refused . He didn't even know how to hook glad hands up . The driver that did agree to train him told me he couldn't shift and almost backed into the car behind him trying to start on a hill . Point is if you can get a military truck driving license , preferably with experience , most if not all states will issue a CDL without further testing except for endorsements and expect at least a 30 day wait for background check before you are allowed Hazmat . Doesn't the Guard pay college tuition ? Colleges in many states have tractor trailer training . O/O/s with tractors make big bucks but experience is required .

larrybadger

Expert Expediter
>there's a school in grand rapids called west michigan cdl
>that has a class b program

hondaking38, I am following up a bit on the above quoted message from bluegoose.

The following story is factual, however, "the names have been changed to protect the innocent" (Dragnet, 1967).
I live 45 minutes away from "XYZ CDL Training School" (XYZ). A few months ago when I was actively pursuing a Class B CDL, I visited XYZ and two other schools and found them (XYZ) to be extremely helpful to me. The other two schools seemed to have a more lackadaisical attitude towards me. XYZ also has evenings/weekends training, (for an additional cost over their regular training rate), which was going to work out very well with my family's schedule. And now for the reason I am telling you this. Before arranging for the training, I called two OTR companies who I had researched and found them willing to take on new drivers directly out of training school. When I told them where I was going to get my training from, they inquired about the training regiment. I told them exactly what the regiment was, and they told me in no uncertain terms that the training I was going to receive there was insufficient according to their standards. They claimed they needed a more comprehensive training than what XYZ was providing. I informed them that the evenings/weekends was one-on-one with the instructor, and as so enabled me to have more actual driving time (quoting from XYZ's brochures) than the other schools I had visited. They were adamant and politely told me that they could not hire me on without (in their words) more comprehensive training. Now to confuse matters, there are several very well known and respected companies which sponsor get-togethers at XYZ to meet prospective drivers. I attended two separate get-togethers (I can't think of a better term right now) and was not surprised to learn that they hire drivers directly from school, with a one month "on job training" with one of their experienced drivers. Mind you, XYZ Training School is not some fly-by-night facility, they had a nice three-acre paved training ground and have graduated over 1200 drivers. I guess my whole point to this factual story is this; if you have a particular company you have your heart set on driving for, you may want to call them first and check to confirm that the CDL training school you may be about to enroll in is on their "approved" list, if they even have such a list. For some reason, and it is arguable that it may be due to ignorance on the recruiter's part for neither of them had personal knowledge of XYZ Training School, but a legal CDL from XYZ Training School may not be equal to a legal CDL from ABC Training School.

Larry Badger

DISCLAIMER: The names of any companies mentioned in the above message are fictional, and any connection to a legally valid company with the same name is strictly coincidental, and not meant to defame or libel.
The viewpoints/opinions expressed above by its author, Larry Badger, are the author's viewpoints/opinions alone.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Hondaking38. You say you are in the military. Do you have GI bill training available? If the gov can pay for any education, I would go for the CDL-A with all the endorsements. You never know what type of license you might require in the future. Good luck. :+ :+

lime38

Expert Expediter
hi, i am new to expeditersonline. i am not sure if i am doing this right. my question is do you know of any class b schools in the illinois area? i have my permit but i need to pass the driving course. have any suggestions for me? thanks