newbie needs advice...lots of it!

drive4cheese

Expert Expediter
Hey everybody,
Gotta say...this is one of the most useful websites and friendly websites I have ever been to....thank goodness for the internet. Anyways...I am a possible newbie who wants to field either a cargo van or straight truck. I have little to no capital to start with so I am thinking of going with the cargo van for a year or so to build up my fifnaces and see how i can do. Can someone help me with advice for getting started? Can I get a loan where they don't need like 25% down on a truck? Any help would be awesome...and i'd return the favor if i ever saw one of you needing help. THANKS ALL
The Cheesehead

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Why not start out driving for a fleet owner and see how it goes? Then if after 6 months to a year try setting out on your own. Contact several companies you might be interested in and ask if any of there fleet owners are looking for qualified hard working drivers? Instead of you investing everything you have and feeling the pressure to make it, you can feel free to learn the business at your leisure. Good luck.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Cheese:

We'd all like to help you but first you've got to help yourself and check out some of the threads in the archives. Next you need to take a serious look at your fianacial requirements and the ability of the expedite industry to meet your needs. If you have a young family to support, a cargo van can be a real tough way to make ends meet. If your credit picture is such that you would have trouble buying a new automobile, you'd have the same problems getting into a truck, new or used. If you can swing a truck loan, will you have enough money left over to cover your start-up costs? You'll need all or some of the following: Nationwide phone service, pager, deposits for insurance, truck signage, CDL with endoresements, travelsupplies and enough working capital to pay your road expenses for about a month. You may also need living expenses on the road to attend company orientation. Lots to consider here.

I'm sorry if I come across as negative but you must, in essence, buy your way into owner/operatorship; it can be expensive.

I have three recommendations for you. Your timing may be great for the first.

1. Attend the Mid-America Truck Show, MATS, in Louisville 31 March - 2 April. You'll be able to learn if trucking, specifically Expedite, is a good fit for you.

2. Attend an Expedite workshop conducted by expeditersonline.com. Next one is in Indianapolis on 12 April. Details elswhere on this site.

3. During or after the two above, talk with owners who would like you to drive or co-drive for them. This is the best way to learn the ropes and see if this business is for you.

Remember, with owning and operating in expedite, you, and you alone, will be the architect of your own destiny; you'll need a good foundation and blueprint to be successful.

Terry

drive4cheese

Expert Expediter
Thanks for your advice.

I know for sure i want to go into the Expedite business. You say to look for a fleet owner looking for a hard working driver...all I find are the companies looking for owner operators. And, no one wants a guy like me because I have little OTR experience. So I figured f I got in and made my own business I can gain the experience I need. I am a single guy with no family to support so I think I can manage.

I guess I was looking at a Cargo van because of the cost....straight trucks run in the 30-40K range where vans are in the 15-25K range. I thought it would be easier to insure and pay for a van that for a straight truck. Am I flawed in this line of thinking? I know cargo vans pay is down a ways from a straight truck...but I am guessing the costs are too. I was trying to think of a thrifty business to start with if thats possible in this industry. I have also talked to recruiters and am looking to contract with someone (Con-Way Now, BOLT) for stability. How am I doing so far?

I am willing to run as much as possible to make $$$ and then grow from that.

If there are an fleet owners out there willing to give a newbie a chance...please email me.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Cheese... look in the classifieds here. There are plenty of ppl looking for single drivers or co-drivers. Personally, I recommend you drive WITH an owner-operator as they'll most likely know the ins and outs of the game. They'll want to run hard and will want you to learn how to think like them on business.
In fact, I just checked for you. An owner/operator in the classifieds needs a co-driver to run with him. He's out of Lafayette, IN (closest I could find to you) and runs for Panther, which is one of the few companies where you don't need experience. And believe me, you'll be running hard.

drive4cheese

Expert Expediter
Hey Hawk,

Thanks for the advice and the leg work. I replied to that ad already and set up my own. Hope someone helps me out. I think I have the finances to get my own truck and get going...but I could really use a "buddy" or wingman to help out for the first bit.

Do you recommend leasing trucks at all?

Thanks,
Dave

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Some may have different advise, but I would not lease a vehicle for expediting unless you know EXACTLY what you are getting into. They are commonly called a "fleece" Pretty good reason for it.
Best advise as mentioned; drive and learn the ropes from someone experienced. Then if you like it, move on to the next step. Alot of that information can be gathered here on the archives. The more you know, the better off you will be with fewer mistakes.
Davekc
owner
20 years

TryHoursRcrtr

Expert Expediter
Dave,
I have to agree with you that most lease deals there are major issues with, but I do know that the one that we have, Try Hours, isn't that way. It is quiet possible to walk away and not be out.
Christine

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If it has a walk away clause with no penalties then it could be a consideration depending on what the price is ect. It would have to be low enough to be affordable. In addition, milage caps and other provisions would have to be reviewed very closely. I would advise legal council if one was to consider this alternative since it is not that common.
Davekc
owner
20 years

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I wish I had the time to tell you my stories. I will simply tell you to go back and read my POSTs during December, January and February. If you are tight on money you would be a fool to put yourself in a lease or loan for a truck. You need a pool of money for start up and possible break downs and slow periods. Please trust me on this. Go find an owner with one of the Expedited carries. They will hire you and you will learn on their dime. Please trust me! Do it for 3 to 6 months before you put yourself in a hole. Once you understand the business and see what can happen, you will then know how to set up your business and your finances. THawk and I can both tell you be careful. If you call the big companies and ask the recruiting dept. for a list of owners looking for drivers they can hook you up. I will even offer you a name and number at E1. Now I highly reco them for Straight Truck. Call 1- 800-800-5161 and aske for Scott Hancock. He can help you. I now have to run but will say it one more time. Go back and read my POSTs and please do not get yourself into debt just yet. Take your time before you know it you will have your own truck. Best of luck to you.

Raceman
Owner Two Straight Truck.
Part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT.
15mon.OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
OTR Straight Truck Plt to Plt off and on 5 years.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Cheese: I know not of the program that Christine (TryHoursRcrtr) mentioned; it might be the right fit for you and your goals. But, if my two cents is worth two cents, I, for one, wholeheartedly endorse Racemans comments and add my encouragement to follow his advice. You'll be well served by it.

Terry

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I've talked to TryHours at the expo last year. One thing I don't like about them is that they don't give the leasee 100% of the fuel surcharge, which is illegal from what I understand (I may be wrong in this circumstance). I have talked to a driver that they're running him quite well, though he has a dedicated run 6 days a week.

If you want to build up some cash for a truck and get good experience at the same time, run teams. Getting in 5000 to 6000 miles for weeks at a time will show you how exhausting it gets during the summer. With you running like that you'll spend less just sitting at the truckstop and make you so paranoid about getting a run, you'll want to sleep all the time while you're off :7 Not to mention, you'll pull in some serious bucks which will mostly go straight to the bank account.

This time next year, you'll have enough for a down payment for a GOOD truck. And you'll know whether you want one at all, or continue to drive someone else's.

T-hawk
"That's what we call pillowtalk, baby." - Ash

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Team Baby, Team. Go to the post Truck Talk "You Gotta See This Truck" Follow the E-Thread to used trucks look at the New Steerling less than 10K miles on it.

Guess what probably happened, Over Financed, Under Capitolized. Got the Point. Would hate to see your truck in that listing in oh lets say June or July. Just my observation not that it could not of happened to me right THawk.