Newb needs some truck advice (pertaining mainly to reliability).

Guysakar

Rookie Expediter
Edited:

Let me start over. First off, I apologize if this is not allowed and I will leave if it is not, but I have been researching box vans and this site simply seems to have the most informed people regarding my query.

I am looking to convert a box truck into an RV and am trying to find the most reliable make and model.

I have seen several box trucks for sale with low miles, with rebuilt trannys, etc...

This makes me a bit nervous as I will want to avoid major repairs as much as possible.

I am looking for a 16' that is as reliable as possible and would like to stay around $5-$10K. Cheaper if possible.

Are there certain makes and models that are better than others? Any stand outs?

I found a 16' 2002 E350 with a 7.3 Power Stroke with low miles for about $5,500K.

I am just nervous about pulling the trigger after seeing many other low mileage models with new computer modules, rebuilt trannies, etc...

You guys would be doing me a huge favor with a little advice and I would be very, very grateful.

In short, just looking for a reliable 16' box truck for around $5k or so.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First and foremost if a major repair will hurt you that bad your not ready to be in expediting, second a 2002 will be hard to find a carrier to take it on, most want nothing older than 6 years. Third if your gonna pull the trigger on a box truck I would go with Ryder, Uhaul seems to run theirs more miles before unloading them.

Guysakar

Rookie Expediter
OK, I have been researching the E350 Powerstroke and it seems that the tranny is a weak spot (designed for a gas engine and fail under diesel torque), but some say that Ford fixed this problem, but I am still seeing a lot of talk about problems with mid 2000's models.

Last edited:

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well a RV is another story, still Ryder would be the way to go, and get maintenance records, a well serviced transmission will last for a long time,

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I have a 2002 Ford E 350 Diesel. Just over 300,000 miles with no transmission problems yet.
But I'm not running regularly now.:(

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just get a 05-06 Sprinter and be done with it. Run it till 400k change the transmission, if you get 500-600k you've done good, if you get 700-800k you've done exceptionally well. And by the time you have put those kinda miles hauling loads you will have money for a new van.

BRILSA88

Seasoned Expediter
Are you wanting to work it or just use it recreational? I think we are confused on what you plan to do with the box truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using EO Forums mobile app

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
I bought a truck from Ryder & have all the records since day one & if they did everything it shows
in the records I'd have to say that they over maintain they trucks.Mine was a lease truck which usually is better than a rental truck.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I know it sounds crazy but the day I made my post, the OP's date of post said 12/31/1969.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

fatmcrat

Rookie Expediter
Granted I don't know much about rigs such as this, however I did sell fords for quite a while. I can tell you that if you get a chance at a 02 7.3 power stroke, jump on it. People go nuts about those motors because they are one of the most reliable diesels on the market. I would get at least 3 calls a day from people looking for those. On the rare occasion that we did get a truck traded with that motor, it wouldn't sit longer than a day.