New York Overhead Clearances

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
In my opinion, when a state marks a clearance incorrectly they create more of a traffic hazard. I was rear ended in NYC because I slowed down for a so called "low clearance". :mad: Any professional driver, in a 13'6 vehicle, is going to hesitate when a clearance is marked 12' something!

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
You will find in New York most bridges are marked a foot low,some even more than that,its scarey sometimes,but so far in 30 years havent hit one yet

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This is from the article redytrk pointed us to:

“The legal clearance shall be one foot less than the measured clearance,” reads the passage in New York’s Vehicle and Traffic law. “The measured clearance shall be the minimum height to the bridge or structure measured vertically from the traveled portion of the roadway. On bridges or structures having fourteen feet or more of measured clearance, no such signs shall be required.”

redytruk, people talk a lot about NY bridge clearance signs. This is the first time I have seen an official explaination about why the signs don't match the actual bridge clearances. Thank you for sharing this.

All hail Ron Pechtel! the retired truck driver who is raising the issue. New York's approach to bridge clearance signs is screwed up; idiotic, even. Just tell us what the true bridge clearance is like every other state in the union does.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
All hail Ron Pechtel! the retired truck driver who is raising the issue. New York's approach to bridge clearance signs is screwed up; idiotic, even. Just tell us what the true bridge clearance is like every other state in the union does.

Here, here!! I second that! I've made it in and out without a problem, but there has been significant "pucker" involved.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
To further complicate the matter, A NY based drive once told me that NY also in some locations have Low Clearance signs with the notation "EXACT" and it means what it says.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
As a New Yorker, I'll tell you what we're taught: the YELLOW low clearance signs are 100% accurate and the WHITE ones are 1 foot off. Reason: it's for the snow & ice clearance. Yup, it's downright dangerous and stupid but hey...that's our state & government officials 'hard' at work!

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
as a new yorker, i'll tell you what we're taught: The yellow low clearance signs are 100% accurate and the white ones are 1 foot off. Reason: It's for the snow & ice clearance. Yup, it's downright dangerous and stupid but hey...that's our state & government officials 'hard' at work!

take this state and shove it.....

kangar0085

Seasoned Expediter
I was on the brooklyn queens expressway and I believe it said 12'2 in Yellow, and I went under it just fine.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
However, y'all, there is one (don't remember where) that is marked spot on. Had a contractor whom is a testament to that fact. Unfortuneately, it only takes one to spoil your day. Or, week.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
New England states are the hold outs for changing exit numbers to match mile markers.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Exit numbers that match the mile markers? Shoot in CA there are many areas that don't even use exit numbers let alone ones that match the mile markers. Layoutshooter

moose

Veteran Expediter
I recall reading on land line a year or so back , that Exit # needed to match all mil markers on any federal Interstate Hwy by 2012.
it was mentions at the article about M.O changing all the Mil. markers signs to meet 2012 federal Reg.

Moose.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
I recall reading on land line a year or so back , that Exit # needed to match all mil markers on any federal Interstate Hwy by 2012.
it was mentions at the article about M.O changing all the Mil. markers signs to meet 2012 federal Reg.

Moose.

does that include limited access US highways or just the red white and blues?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Is it me, or do the mile markers on I-90 in NY State go backwards? Aren't they supposed to start at zero from the west and south? They do everywhere else, anyway.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
They do go backwards...I was told years ago that the road is marked how far it is to NYC. :eek: