New to the field.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
My name is Robert and I live just outside of Flint, Michigan, and im real new to the expediting industry. Im actually trying to get into the industry and stumbled upon this forum. My major question is, what kind of licensing do I need to drive one of the sprinter vans? I been told I need a C.D.L, then I been told I don't need it, just a chaufeers license, and someone else said I don't even know that. And what company would be good for a rookie to start in? I haven't worked in over two years, just because the lack of work here is just horrible. Im open to your feedback and hope to be on the road a.s.a.p.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
A class C CDL and a chafferer's license (seeing you are in Michigan).

I would be careful and make sure you tell what ever company you plan on working for why the gap of employment. They are to cover 10 years back, and some use outside services to check people during the application process and WILL NOT tell you why you were rejected but more likely it is the gap.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Nope two different things, you have to get a chafferer's license first than the CDL - stupid as it sounds it has been this way for a long time.

By the way, the chafferer's license is 10 questions long and $18.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the info Gregg. Now this is probably going to be a stupid question, but when I get the CDL and chafferer's license, I also have to keep a valid operatiors licence for driving a car correct?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks for the info Gregg. Now this is probably going to be a stupid question, but when I get the CDL and chafferer's license, I also have to keep a valid operatiors licence for driving a car correct?

All I have is my CDL.