new to ExpOnline, weighing options, keeping myself informed/educated

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You could look into an outfit like Swift or other entry level truckload company that would pair you with a driver trainer. You would probably have to commit to 6 months or more, but it would give you experience to get on with an LTL.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
There also might be smaller local operations who will give you the chance to "refresh" your semi credentials before moving out to the open road.

And thanks for the follow up. Too many people ask a question, members take the time to put together some advice, and the op is never heard from again.

eb

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You could look into an outfit like Swift or other entry level truckload company that would pair you with a driver trainer. You would probably have to commit to 6 months or more, but it would give you experience to get on with an LTL.

Swift, really? I may be new to the forum friend but im not new to the industry. I've seen them swift boys & I've heard/seen the horrors. I'm good, I aint sittin and or livin w/ sum stanky good ole boy thinkin hes king of the road. I'll take the next van available pleeease!

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
There also might be smaller local operations who will give you the chance to "refresh" your semi credentials before moving out to the open road.

And thanks for the follow up. Too many people ask a question, members take the time to put together some advice, and the op is never heard from again.

eb

ahh no worries friend, I am not one to leave folks hangin' high n dry. Just wanted to do my research. So I think its high time I join yall in the chase for a buck on the big road. I'll keep ya posted as I git things rollin & make my first run. Puttin the loan together now for my van & then sum minor paperwork & adjustments to said van to get it ready & livable for over the road. Thanks for the slim couple whom actually went other places than negative here bout takin this profession up, seems most wanna destroy ya rather than guide ya in the rite direction. On that note, yall b good, be talkin at ya real soon, cheers!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Go for it! I was just offering a way to get you some T/T experience that you could parlay into a high paying LTL job. If you don't want drive a T/T just say so. I know I don't want to drive one and one more van out here probably won't have any effect on my income. Good luck!

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Go for it! I was just offering a way to get you some T/T experience that you could parlay into a high paying LTL job. If you don't want drive a T/T just say so. I know I don't want to drive one and one more van out here probably won't have any effect on my income. Good luck!

didnt mean to seem as if I was comin off harshly or what not, tryin to walk the straight n narrow here is all, lol. good day to ya!

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
ahh no worries friend, I am not one to leave folks hangin' high n dry. Just wanted to do my research. So I think its high time I join yall in the chase for a buck on the big road. I'll keep ya posted as I git things rollin & make my first run. Puttin the loan together now for my van & then sum minor paperwork & adjustments to said van to get it ready & livable for over the road. Thanks for the slim couple whom actually went other places than negative here bout takin this profession up, seems most wanna destroy ya rather than guide ya in the rite direction. On that note, yall b good, be talkin at ya real soon, cheers![/QUO

Do you know who you are going to run that van with yet?

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well I'm always open to options/opinions or just plain and simple experienced advice? But yea to start, I'm goin' w/ whom my brother is dispatched from. Robertson van go services. Feel free to message me with any and all info you could or wouldn't mind sharing. = )

They're a smaller company, just started this end of things sum 8-10 months ago, they used to deal strictly in box trucks then branched off into this area. I dont know much about them aside from what my brother has told me concerning it. He has worked for them around 1-2yrs now, he was w/ them before the branching off phase.

Last edited:

Casper0418

Rookie Expediter
Swift, really? I may be new to the forum friend but im not new to the industry. I've seen them swift boys & I've heard/seen the horrors. I'm good, I aint sittin and or livin w/ sum stanky good ole boy thinkin hes king of the road. I'll take the next van available pleeease!

Ouch. I have a good friend who drives for Swift, and he loves working for them. To each his own I guess.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Your brother is making 60k a year after expenses? Where is this company? I want to sign up. Lol
I suspect he is not telling you the whole truth. There are not that many van expediters that net 60k a year, especially with a small company that just started in the van business.
But, good luck, since you already bought the van.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EO Forums mobile app