new problem with sprinter (Moved from Sprinter Threads)

b2boggs

Seasoned Expediter
2007 sprinter 2500 144 WB 116000 miles on unit, it will not start at times. I picked up load at 5 am ran two hours stopped for fuel and breakfast no problem. Stopped again a few hours later everything ok. Stopped at guard shack started fine. Backed in to unload waited maybe 30 min. ready to leave will not start, will crank but not start not a battery or power issue. I open hood for 30 mins. or so starts right up. Go to fuel up and eat lunch, shut down for 30-45 mins. starts right up. 4 hours later stop for 1 hour at rest stop, will not start. Open hood for 30 -45 mins. starts right up. I took it too shop, they replace shorted EGR valve(replaced at 91021 miles along with turbo) and crankshaft sensor. Pick up van at 5:45 pm, went about 30 miles shut it off for 30 - 45 mins. won't start. Open hood for about a hour starts right up. this has happened 3 - 4 times in the past 45 day's. Any thoughts:

blkvet2001

Active Expediter
Re: sprinter threads

Guess what you need to do is check for inj, puls while cranking. Any codes set ?? What about fuel shut off sol??

hoot

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
2007 sprinter 2500 144 WB 116000 miles on unit, it will not start at times. I picked up load at 5 am ran two hours stopped for fuel and breakfast no problem. Stopped again a few hours later everything ok. Stopped at guard shack started fine. Backed in to unload waited maybe 30 min. ready to leave will not start, will crank but not start not a battery or power issue. I open hood for 30 mins. or so starts right up. Go to fuel up and eat lunch, shut down for 30-45 mins. starts right up. 4 hours later stop for 1 hour at rest stop, will not start. Open hood for 30 -45 mins. starts right up. I took it too shop, they replace shorted EGR valve(replaced at 91021 miles along with turbo) and crankshaft sensor. Pick up van at 5:45 pm, went about 30 miles shut it off for 30 - 45 mins. won't start. Open hood for about a hour starts right up. this has happened 3 - 4 times in the past 45 day's. Any thoughts:

U have found the problem. Take the darn hood off and put it in the cargo area and have a good day. PS. Im just kidding, but ur write up leans in that direction, and I would take it back to the dealer ur just left from.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
If you have the buttons on the face of the steeringwheel set it so you can see the coolant temp because it soundsike it's overheating.

aileron

Expert Expediter
I would suggest to look at the camshaft position sensor. It is used only for starting, and it might be bad when hot. After the engine started, it is not used any more, so the engine will run, but if you turn it off, you won't be able to start it until the sensor cools of.

Are you anywhere near Pittsburgh, pa?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Last edited:

b2boggs

Seasoned Expediter
Yes it back at dealer. Has not happened since last post. It random.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Maybe one of you Sprinter owners can tell me if Sprinter has an Extended Warranty program like other trucks??

If so I haven't heard of anyone on here ever having one.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe one of you Sprinter owners can tell me if Sprinter has an Extended Warranty program like other trucks??

If so I haven't heard of anyone on here ever having one.

Don't/can't remember if I was even offered one....not that I would buy it....

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
also might want to check egr cooling system
might be full dirt, had same problem at 86,000 miles
on my 07
after cleaning out system ran good

b2boggs

Seasoned Expediter
Got it back in shop, replaced they same headlight three days in a row .

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Got it back in shop, replaced they same headlight three days in a row .

You know when those Sprinters come off the boat in S.C they are in a box on top of the frame. They then run down the assembly line where they used to build fire trucks. I would check to make sure they connected the ground wire cables to the frame. That one cable can reek havoc on an electrical system.

This post is from 08. Thought it might interest some Sprinter people.

Today I had time to kill prior to visiting a relative in Charleston, SC so my Sprinter returned to its birthplace at Ladson, SC, a few miles from Charleston. My reason was to ask for someone to explain how the heat/AC controls worked as the instruction manual is about as clear as mud. Many folks were in a meeting so they sent out a gentleman who said that he was in charge of emissions and safety compliance liaison with the government. He admitted that the heat/AC was over engineered and the instruction manual not clear. I was told the following, but cannot assure the accuracy:

The facility is Daimler Vans Manufacturing, LLC fully owned by Daimler. They also own FreightLiner which has a facility about two hours drive away. Sprinters were originally put together at the freightLiner facility there. The Ladson facility previously built American LaFrance (owned by Daimler) fire trucks and other speciality vehicles. As that business fell off Sprinter assembly assembly moved to Ladson and shared the facility. The American LaFrance business was then sold and moved out and the plant is now Sprinter assembly only.

Due to the import duty of 25 percent on completed trucks and only 4 percent on “incomplete vehicles and parts” Sprinters are first completely built in Germany and literally driven to the shipping port there. A sub-contractor then takes them apart and puts the labeled parts in separate shipping containers. One container might be all axles, another all transmissions, another all body parts, etc. To be legal the parts for any given vehicle must be on at least two separate ships. The reason it takes so long to assemble here is that all the parts thus do not arrive at the same time.

From the exterior the plant looks almost new and what I could see through glass walls the office area seemed very modern. They declined, as I expected, to give me a tour of the plant. The employee parking lot was almost empty -- maybe only a hundred (my rough guess) cars. About 100 (same) finished Sprinters (mostly white) were on the lot. It is a very large place so it must be mostly empty at the moment. The man admitted that production was way off due to the economy. 90 percent of the vans are sold to Chrysler Vans, LLC for Dodge dealers, the rest go as FreightLiners. At the moment there are not any large fleet orders.

The recent recall had to do with the Exhaust Gas Recirculating Valve to change its operation to keep it cleaner as its improper operation causes the engine to go into limp home mode which causes more pollution. This is his area of expertise.

As to the future his knowledge was zero as is ours; all we can do is watch the news media. He seemed to think that as the facility is fully owned by Daimler they may continue to find a way to use it by bringing in Sprinters to perhaps be sold by Mercedes or VW dealers if Dodge disappears. He believes that by Federal law service has to continue to be available, but to what extent and where?
Diamondsea is offline Reply With Quote

Last edited:

tbcabs

Seasoned Expediter
I had the same problem with mine the dealer couldnt find the prob till i had 150000 miles on it. Have them check the fuse panel that is under the steering wheel. That fixed my prob. Most dealers wont even check that unless you ask.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had the same problem with mine the dealer couldnt find the prob till i had 150000 miles on it. Have them check the fuse panel that is under the steering wheel. That fixed my prob. Most dealers wont even check that unless you ask.

the, use a stick, problem....lol....?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

There is a recall on the crank sensor...for the 07's...

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/30498-sprinter-crankshaft-sensor-recall.html