New Per Deim Rates

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As of Oct 1, 2011 through September 30, 2012 the per diem rates are as follows:

$59.00 per Day in the US

$65.00 per day Canada

There are rules that you must follow for days that you leave your main home and the day you return off the road.

The rule of thumb is: you must use !/4 parts of the day for the time that you leave and the time you arrive back home.

If you are a driver that only drives 600 miles or less round trip, it is consided a local driver and the per diem cannot be used at all.

These rates have not changed since Oct,1 , 2010,

Remember the per diem for the transportation industry is all for food, and you truck contains a Sleeper.

You may also deduct the cost of motels separately

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask

Franklin Katz, ATP, PA, PB,
Frank’s Tax and Business Service
120 York Rd
Kings Mountain, NC 28086-3151
(704) 739-4039 Fax: (704) 739-3934
e-mail: [email protected]
Web Site: File Your Return Online

Providing Professional Accounting Services and Income Tax Preparation

Circular 230 Disclaimer – Any tax advice in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding related

penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or tax
related matters addressed herein.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
What section or line do you claim the perdiem on? I've been fiddling with two different software packages and with one, there is a line for DOT meals & expenses and the other doesn't. I want to make sure it shows up on the right line.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You must have the Subject to DOT REGS WITH AN EXPLANATION OF HOW YOU GOT THE FIGRE
SO IF THERE IS A OVERFLOW AVAILABLE ON THE RETURN IT MUST SAY THE FOLLOWING

XXXX Days subject to Dot Regs at $59 per day. and put the total on line 24b,
Do not include any entertainment on this line other wise you only going to recieve 50% of the total

If you have entertaiment expenses, Direct or Dish TV, going to the movies, renting audio books, software for games, you take the total and enter it as an overflow in Part V, the amount in the line and x by 50%, then enter it on the amount line.

There have been many audits on the over the counter software over the last year, I have had about 10 taxpayer who I use to do there taxes for and they decided to do theit own, using the over the counter software, and I reiceved a call from them last month stating that they recieved a letter from the IRS and that they were auditing them.
a few were due to Mileage, or other items that they felt they were entitiled to take as a deduction.

So If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask,
Frank’s Tax and Business Service
120 York Rd
Kings Mountain, NC 28086-3151
(704) 739-4039 Fax: (704) 739-3934
e-mail: [email protected]
Web Site: http://prep.1040.com/frankstax
Franklin Katz, ATP, PA, PB,

Providing Professional Accounting, Bookkeeping, Payroll and Income Tax Preparation Services

Circular 230 Disclaimer – Any tax advice in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding related

penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (2) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or tax
related matters addressed herein.

ErieBigDawg

Seasoned Expediter
Frank,

If you drive a van in your expediting business and are under 10,001 pounds and not subject to DOT regs...do you not get the per diem?

Dave

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Yes you can ...you can count 1 day pierdiem for every day out //away from home....I do and you seen what I drive...I also use frank for my taxes....

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It seems that there is a problem with Per diem in regard to Cargo Vans.

If you use Mileage, and want to prove both, there must be a daily record of both.
AND I MEAN DAILY, NOT TOTAL MILES FOR MONTH, OR YEAR,.

You must keep some type of log, even though you do not use log books.

I used a Steno Book for all my loads.

left side Right side,
Shipper and reciever I kept a mileage log everywhere that I stopped on
THIS SIDE.
from the start of the trip deadhead to delivery then
To the truck stop to wait for another load

This was you have your Per Diem and Mileage Proof if you are audited

Frank