New kid on the block

timmycurl

Active Expediter
Hey every one, My name is Timmy Curl, I'm just starting a change of life, maybe a mid life crisis LOL. I'm 60 yrs old and I have purchased an 06 Chevy Express 1500. I'm looking for a carrier to work for. I live near the KY Speedway, about 40 mi south of Cin. I have run dump trucks in the past, and even ran over the road briefly in the early 80s. Does anyone know of a carrier near by? Or does that matter? I have my MC and insurance and 48 state authority. I can use all the advice and input you have to share.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Welcome you do not need the authority or mc if signing with a carrier. Try calling some of the ones that advertise on eo. Maybe tristate or bolt. Your location doesn't matter but your in a good spot to get by home

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Hey every one, My name is Timmy Curl, I'm just starting a change of life, maybe a mid life crisis LOL. I'm 60 yrs old and I have purchased an 06 Chevy Express 1500. I'm looking for a carrier to work for. I live near the KY Speedway, about 40 mi south of Cin. I have run dump trucks in the past, and even ran over the road briefly in the early 80s. Does anyone know of a carrier near by? Or does that matter? I have my MC and insurance and 48 state authority. I can use all the advice and input you have to share.
Some of the other guys might comment different, but 1500 seems pretty light duty?

I dont think uou need the authority or mc # on a van even if you went out on your own. Xiggi gave good advice except for the prostate part. :) I think he meant Tristate or Bolt. Not a lot of carriers looking for regular cargo vans.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don t waste your time calling Bolt , as of last monday , Freese on CV s , and nothing new for immediate future ....good thing ,, the shelves were overstocked .....:rolleyes:

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums

timmycurl

Active Expediter
Rocketman, my chevy has been modified w/ extra spring leaves, load range E tires, door tag by upfitter says 9600 gvw. That is definitely a Heavy Half. original factory payload was 2219 lbs.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Rocketman, my chevy has been modified w/ extra spring leaves, load range E tires, door tag by upfitter says 9600 gvw. That is definitely a Heavy Half. original factory payload was 2219 lbs.
cool...i'm kinda new at the van stuff...just sounded a little light....may be fine with the upgrades.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did i miss something is it an extended van?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm surprised you could get that 9600# rating with the smaller 5 lug wheels, weaker front end parts and smaller brakes. Even with the upgrades I'd be a little afraid on the 1500 chassis. Just my opinion, I would not buy anything less then a 3500 GM. By the time you did all the expensive upgrades, you could have just bought a heavier van and been safer and probably had less issues in the future.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Its a curse i tell ya.

Make an appointment with a doctor and get a digital examination tomorrow. A biannual prostrate exam is an important medical procedure for men over 40 years old. At the very least, going in every two years to get your SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 removed is worth it. The condition of your prostrate is secondary.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm surprised you could get that 9600# rating with the smaller 5 lug wheels, weaker front end parts and smaller brakes.
I am also surprised! I don't believe one could get a 9600# rating on a 1500, at least not from a reputable upfitter. Timmy/Tammy, this whole change of life thing, coupled with a MC number, 48 state authority and a 9600# GVWR 1500 sounds like B.S. Sorry to be cruel Curl, but that's how I see it.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I am also surprised! I don't believe one could get a 9600# rating on a 1500, at least not from a reputable upfitter. Timmy/Tammy, this whole change of life thing, coupled with a MC number, 48 state authority and a 9600# GVWR 1500 sounds like B.S. Sorry to be cruel Curl, but that's how I see it.

Ford has a 9600 GVWR "E150" 1/2 ton van that comes with the 3/4 ton suspension and brakes. You can only get 'em spec'd that way with a "Fleet" order. Big name "Service" type of companies that carry tools and parts bins (Hyster Forklift - SEARS Service - Etc) order them directly through Ford 2-3-400 at a time, and it saves them hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years when it comes to registering and insuring them.

I sold 5-6 of these types of Ford Vans, 2006 & 2007 models, through my Dealership last year. They were all EX-ThyssenKrupp Elevator Service Company Vans.

As far the rest of what this new guy said......NO....GM does NOT have a 9600 GVWR 1500 "Cargo Van". He's full of crap on that.....Hell, GM hasn't even put a V8 in their Express or Savannah 1/2 ton Cargo Vans since 2004. (I think it's been since 2004) And.....there is NOT a single "Upfitter" out there is going to go Above & Beyond a Manufacturers GVWR limits. They will NOT certify any Vehicle above Manufacturers limits....period. Too much Liability on their Part.

I believe we have a "Shipping Wars" viewer here thinking there's $$$ to be made off UShip.........:p

timmycurl

Active Expediter
Hey guys, I'm just clarifying. My van is an 06, 6 lugs, 16" wheels, 135" WB., 9' 4" cargo space, factory cargo weight capacity of 2219 lbs. factory gross vehicle weight 7600 lbs. factory equipped with uniroyal 235 x 75 16 load range c (2094 lbs) ea. The upfitter was Utility Truck Equipment in Ohio. With additional springs and load range E tires it gave it 2000 lbs increased payload, so it says. this gives it a total payload of 4219 lbs. I don't think I will ever want to load this van with 2 tons on any occasion though. It does seem a bit high for a 1500 series van, but I would feel comfortable hauling 2500 lbs though. this is only 291 lbs over factory specs. I was wanting a heavier van but this one was a steal, under $2,000.00, plus it only had 83,000 mi. on it. Hard to pass up. Minimal investment give me the option of selling it for a profit if I don't like expediting. I owned and operated dumptrucks in the 70s, so I have had lots of experience running heavy, I can tell some scary stories,LOL. You would not believe what kind of weight some guys would put on a dump truck back then. Being paid by the ton it is tempting to make a days wages in one load,LOL. Thanks for the opinions and advice, they are greatly appreciated.