new GPS model on the market

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I just got this blurb on a new Magellan unit and thought some might be interested in it. Note the Costco price info at the end.

Given the changing pace of technology, the price of factory-fitted satellite navigation and the itinerant traveler's tendency to rent their chariot, a portable GPS (Global Positioning Satellite) navigation system is the ideal solution. When choosing an electronic pathfinder, map quality makes all the difference. Magellan (like Garmin) uses the premier map data supplier Navteq. The Magellan Maestro Series offers three models with a "just right" screen size (4.3"). The 4000 ($399) is the base model. The 4040 ($499) adds Canada (the maps, not the country) and Bluetooth, which lets you access addresses lurking inside your phone/palmtop. Although you can upgrade the 4040 to real-time traffic data for another hundred bucks, that same Franklin buys you the 4050 ($599) with a built-in traffic jam info receiver. On the road, the Magellan's 4040's geek fabulous 20-channel sirfsStarIII chipset instantly locked onto a GPS signal and updated quickly. The maps are pellucid, the voice prompts clear and the touch screen ergonomically sound. On the downside, the map disappears during recalculation and full-on sunlight is still a bugbear (a built-in visor would help). While RV-ing seniors might appreciate the AAA's TourBook info and roadside assistance (trip A members only), it would be nice to be able to choose a more (ahem) upmarket guide. Overall, the 4040 is a decent but not outstanding GPS device-- at $499. But Costco's got 'em for $349 (in store price, call ahead). For that money, you're good to go.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Hmm, interesting article. We are loving our new Garmin 660. It updates by connecting it to the computer and going to their website. It does the traffic alerts also but the main feature I like is being able to update it often. It still doesn't have truck routes but it does everything else we need and it is compact - on the dash. When we get tired of the Garmin voice we change over to an Aussie voice for fun. I think it is funny that the Garmin voice pronounces the state of Missouri as "Misery".

India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
Every day should be an adventure, not a treadmill.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Do not buy this unit!!!! Unless you get it at Cotsco.

I RETURNED my Megellan 4 times in two years, Terry also had the same problems. The Garmin has been trouble free, Megallan has had problems and one needs a Retail Store that ASKS no Questions and gives you a replacement with no HASSLE.

I ended up getting all of my $ back cause Cotsco told Megellan (I would guess) that they were sending all of them back and refunding the customers $ as this is what happened.

I purchased my first unit for $1,100.00 and the replacement was about $400 so I got to pocket that $700.00. Not bad, but it was a pain when the thing locks up.

Remember COTSCO, otherwise your gona have to deal with the Factory and Warranty dept yourself.

sixwheeler

Expert Expediter
I ve had 2 magellans and they both had a tendency to freeze at the worst possible moment, finally giving up the ghost all together.
Having bought a garmin 340, and using it for a while ...no problems.
Cold day in ##### when I buy another magellan.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
had my m 4040 since the end of july. it let me down only once when it found the same address in 2 towns miles apart and did not find the one i needed to go to. dispatch talked me there.

there are more features than i have been able to use but the "find caribou coffee" feature is indeed a blessing.

i got mine on e-bay for 350 plus next day deliv going to 400 bucks. no costco near here to buy from.

Jack Berry

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
T/As has one by COBRA, with a fee you can get up to date traffic and routing around it as well. Cost with rebate was around $350.00 not bad at all.

csands007

Seasoned Expediter
bought several Garmin and found the best price was Ebay, got one the has US/Canada maps preloaded, plus has trip, road advisory, detours, talks to me for total 162.00 includes shipping and maps are 2008

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Friend of mine was interested in getting a GPS and awhile back had me bring over my StreetPilot 7200 and stick it in his Toyota Highlander while we and our spouses went out to dinner. He decides he wants the big screen (his eyes ain't so good) and is all set to order for around $800 off Amazon.

Talks to a friend of his up in New England and happens to mention that he's in the market for a GPS. Friend says to hang on ... some old geezer he's in a car club with won one in raffle and really doesn't want it cause he doesn't drive much ....

So his friend in New England proceeds to do some horse trading and swaps some olds car parts (retail value $500) that he has for the GPS. So he tells my friend that he can have the GPS for what he has in the car parts ...... $125 ......

Brand new in the box StreetPilot 7200 .... for $125. To top it off his friend then says he wants to buy some LED sign he has at his store (which he is closing) for a couple hundred.

Some people have all the luck .....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm not quite sure what a Black Friday ad means but Sears is going to have the Magellan 4000 on sale for $249.99 presumably this coming Friday if anyone is interested.

http://www.blackfriday.info/ads/sears-black-friday-ad.html

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.