New GM diesel vans

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Light and Medium Truck Magazine had an article this month that I thought I'd share..

It was on the new 2006 Chevrolet Express, and GMC Savana, G2500 and G3500 vans.

They will have the new Duramax 6.6 liter diesel designed by Isuzu Motors and currently used in GM's full size pickups and commercial trucks.

It will be rated at 250 hip, and 460 pound feet of torque, and will use the electronically controlled 4 speeed Hydra-Matic automatic transmission.

The things that make it appealing to expediters, will be standard 145 amp alternator, and a fuel operated auxiliary heater.. along with projected 20.2 mpg.

Sounds like they could be trying to compete with the Sprinter for delivery work.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Did they redesign the chassis or are they the same ones?
Certainly improving the fuel milage
Davekc

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
I like the heater idea. But I remember not so fondly my 98 GMC 3500 cube van. Had a 6.5L Turbo diesel. Only held 8 quarts of oil, tiny little front spindles for a 12,000 lbs gross truck and man where they spendy. Also, the 4 speed hydromatic? I wonder if that is the same one they use behind the older 6.5's.. It left a lot to be disired and those engines only had about 180hp.

I hope it turns out to be a great van, by the time I'd want one there will be plunty of used ones out there :) But for now I'll hang on to my diesel Ford, now that I have dual 110 amp alts (hey, the van was setup for two) I don't have much need for 1 165 (what if it fails?) and I have been getting the 20 MPG or better.

The big question. How much will that GM cost?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Dave,

They never mentioned the frame, the article was mostly just praising the new motor.

Merkurfan,

I have to agree with you, I've always been partial to Fords, from clear back in the '80s vans. If you're pulling 20mpg from a full size van, you're doing great.

Dreamer

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
The powerstroke, avid use of the newly installed cruise control (hey did you know all a stroker needs to have cruise is a new steering wheel with buttons???) and a superchips software update got this 6600 pound, 9 foot tall box on wheels in to the 20's :)

Still wonder what that gm will cost. it is kind of tempting..

Then again. Replacing my espar that died is still cheaper.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Several magazines ( Truck Trend , Popular Mechanics , and others ) have run comparison tests with Ford , Dodge , and Chevy diesels . The Chevy has a little less power but isn't bad . Lower 0-60 times usually mean better mpg anyway .

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
The allison is the whole reason GM has not had a diesel van since they killed the 6.5. The allison is SO huge it would not fit with out a large tunnel in the floor or rasing the van floor. The GM transmission they are going to use has a smaller body and I think 1 fewer forward gears.

sixiron

Expert Expediter
Nice try GM ..but still day late and dollar short...no doubt a detuned version (250hp) had to be used because they have it mated to the 4L80 tranny....I just cannot see how this tranny will live behine the duramax motor....bd

Tony

Expert Expediter
The new GM diesel van will have a 4L85E trans. instead of the 4L80E. Gassers (I believe) will have, as in the past, a 4L60E. This is only my opinion but almost anything is better than a Ford auto Trans.(I prefer their manuals). As with the 4L80E, change the shift parameters to a hard shift to extend the life. Any REAL trans. shop will know what you need. Got a great one in Brunswick , Oh.. They provide 1 yr. unlimited mileage, at their shop(Brunswick Transmission on Pearl Rd. at). My hometown mech.(d--- good)subs out all trans. rebuilds to them. Ford, GM, Dodge, eventually they all take a dump on ya. On my hometown mech. (Dillard's auto and light truck repair in Medina , Oh.) he does not handle s/t's except for pm's.

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
Can't say I have had any troubles with the Ford E4OD or the older AOD. My diesel got a new trans at 260K. Not bad for a 6500 pound sled that spent most of it's life in the mountians.

Tony

Expert Expediter
I have always wondered what kind of miles everybody gets out of GM and Ford auto trans.. Time for a post on that.