new expediting company? (con-way)

rayray

Seasoned Expediter
i have been hearing some rumors about con-way starting up a new expediting company. i just wondered if anyone out there has heard anything about it and if there is any truth to it.:)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
From the original press release...
http://www.con-way.com/PressClub/2006_RELEASES/06July24.html

SAN MATEO, CA - July 24, 2006 -- Con-way Inc. (NYSE: CNW) announced today it had executed an agreement with Panther Expedited Services, Inc. for Panther to purchase the expedited freight transportation business of Con-way Expedite & Brokerage.

As part of the transaction Con-way has executed a non-compete agreement with Panther and has agreed to exit the expedite market immediately.

It might be three years, but I seem to recall someone at Con-Way telling me that the non-compete agreement was for five years.

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Last week, Thursday, I think, I saw a "D" unit going North, on I-77, through Charlotte, that had the "old" Con-Way NOW logos all over it!!

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
>Last week, Thursday, I think, I saw a "D" unit going North,
>on I-77, through Charlotte, that had the "old" Con-Way NOW
>logos all over it!!
============================================

Probably some guy just bought it and was taking it home to strip it.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is a rumor and just like all the other rumors it isn't going to happen. There will be at least 3 years in the non-compete clause and maybe more. A very safe rule to go by is whatever you hear, if it isn't direct from the lips of a vice-president or higher of one of the affected companies to your ears, forget about it.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.