NEW AT THE GAME

ZAPSTER

Expert Expediter
THINKING ABOUT GOING INTO EXPEDITING WITH A B UNIT. JUST WONDERING WHAT EVERYBODY DOES WHEN THEY ARE WAITING FOR A LOAD. AS I UNDERSTAND IT, A GAS ENGINE IS NOT TO BE IDLED FOR EXTENDED LENTHS OF TIME. HOW DO YOU STAY COOL? WHAT DO YOU DO TO KEEP YOURSELF ENTERTAINED DURING SLOW TIMES? IT WOULD SEEM MOTELS WOULD BE A BIT COSTLY. A DIESEL IS OUT OF MY BUDGET AT THIS TIME. ANYWAY IF ANYBODY COULD GIVE ME A FEW SUGGESTIONS OTHER THAN "FINDING ANOTHER CAREER" I WOULD APPRECIATE THE ADVICE.

ZAPSTER :9 :9

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A diesel van probably isn't out of your budget. While shopping for my D unit I ran into a lot of low mileage used diesel vans both GMC's and Fords. Call a local dealership and have them get on their computer to loacte stuff around where you live that you can check out.
They should also be able to look up vans that will be going through auto auctions near you.
-Weave-

Jack

Expert Expediter
I don't believe newer gas engines are bothered by idling a lot. However, why bother to idle, gas or diesel, when it is such a waste of fuel? Instead, let somebody else pay to keep you cool in summer and warm in winter. Advantage to a van is that you don't have to sit at a truck stop and idle. I go to public libraries and take advantage of free magazines, newspapers, and internet access on computers. You can get a free Hotmail account and send and receive e-mail all over the country. Also, go to a Dollar Tree, Dollar General, similar stores, and buy a cheap novel and sit in McDonalds and read all day for the price of a cup of coffee. Walk in the malls, watch the people go by. Stop at any large grocery supermart and sit in their grill/restaurant section and have a soda. Sit at the truckstop and watch a movie, talk to other drivers, do your laundry, but don't idle your engine. If you have a refrigerator, ask yourself if you really need to spend money on idling to keep something cold, when you can just buy it cold as you need it. And if you have a pet in the van even when you are out of it, well, just accept that you have chosen to spend money on idling to keep your pet comfortable, and I trust that you are getting enough in return from the pet to make it worthwhile.

ZAPSTER

Expert Expediter
Walking around in the malls etc. would certainly help pass time but what do you do when you need rest and it is too hot or too cold to sleep in your "B" unit without air or heat? Has anyone thought of staying in a campground where there is electricity? Are there any discount motels close to interstates? Just wondering what the experienced drivers do that own "B" units..:7

captain

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You can always find motel rooms at discount rates, just stop at a rest area and you'll find discount books with all kinds of coupons.Rates are dirt cheap during the off season, usually from mid fall to early spring. I have a folding cot and a good sleeping bag in my van, and most of the time that works OK to about 10 deg. I also wear a heavy sweat suit. I plan on installing a remote starter so I can start the van up in the morning and let it warm up before I get out of the sack. In the summer I use a household fan which I run off a small inverter and spare battery which I installed in my electrical system. Once the sun goes down, the fan will do a really good job keeping you cool, and it will run all night on the extra battery. The only time I have trouble is after a night run in the summer, it really is hard to sleep in the heat of the day without A/C. I spend maybe 5 or 6 nights a year in a motel. Driving a van, you can count on your sleep/wake pattern to get screwed up every now and then, just part of the game.

Good luck,
Captain:D

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Join the AAA (auto club). You will be able to go to a local branch and get all types of discounts on fun things to do while your waiting for Mr. Dispatcher to call you.

G

When we started out 11 years ago, we had a cube van (GM 5.7 L. gas engine). We'd often leave it idle all day and/or all night. It was still cheaper than a hotel room. The original motor lasted over 300,000 miles (thanks to Rotella-T) and was still running when we replaced it. Since catyletic converters came along, there's little monoxide any more. Just our 2¢ worth, YMMV!!

Road Dog

Expert Expediter
Rotella is an expensive oil hybrid made by Shell. A LOT of truckers swear by the stuff and some companies REQUIRE it exclusively in their engines.
:D

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In the summer we use 2 fans in the sleeper.One plugs into one of the 12 volt outlets in the sleeper,use very little current,the other one is completely portable.We bought it at Meyers for about $15.00 last year,runs for over 100hours on 4 D Batteries,added plus is that the slight noise put out by the fans helps to drown out JAKE BRAKES.
In the wimter we use a catalaytic heater that uses no flame,works off propane and is safe for indoor use,They can be found at Walmart,K Mart for about $45.00. A small bottle of propane lasts about 10 hours and does a good job. We do frequent motels,but mainly in June,July ,August when in Arizona, Texas etc.But as that other poster said pick up the green discount books,found at res areasa and Denny!s restaurants. You can save some money that way,also most of the motel chains these days have reward programs in where you stay 10 nights,then you get one free.Adequate rest is very important in this field,so even if it costs you a few dollars for a room,when your next trip comes up you will be rested and be able to drive safely..