New 30 foot tow behind plow ( PA)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm glad you shared that here. I've not seen or heard of the tow plow before. Had I come up behind one of those at night on the PA Turnpike, I would have been a bit perplexed. At least now I'll know what one is when I see it for the first time.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I got into a backup on 435 north side of KC one night last winter while they were tending to an accident caused by the snow. A couple of plow trucks came up behind me as we waited and as we pulled away, one (or both, can't remember now) of them looked similiar to this one (I notice the pic is courtesy of MODOT). Although it may have been easier driving behind them, it was pretty awesome to see them in the mirrors taking snow from the center barrier all the way across the interstate and into the ditch leaving a clear road behind them in one pass.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Very interesting. If you think about it - this is the only "equipment improvement" seen in 35 years. I know they have better chemical applications now - but these trucks are almost unchanged in decades.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm curious as to how that plow trailer looks from behind as far as lights and markings. In the photo the snow appears to have a high moisture content and therefore isn't blowing around. It is also daylight. Could this trailer be seen at night from behind when pushing light powdery snow?

If the plow driver locked up the trailer brakes or seriously broke traction with the truck, what would the end result be called?

MCBuggyCo

Seasoned Expediter
I saw one of these in use last winter near the Joplin area. I didn't see them using it to clean 2 lanes at once. They were using the back plow to shape the snow drift that is at the edge of the road.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I'm curious as to how that plow trailer looks from behind as far as lights and markings. In the photo the snow appears to have a high moisture content and therefore isn't blowing around. It is also daylight. Could this trailer be seen at night from behind when pushing light powdery snow?

If the plow driver locked up the trailer brakes or seriously broke traction with the truck, what would the end result be called?

I agree with Moot. Looks like it needs a few flashing lights on it. The truck has them over the cab, but I don't see any on the trailer. It needs some.

It looks like a good, heavy load of snow in front of that plow would push the truck sideways.