Need some driver feedback

GRACIE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We currently have a team driving our truck leased w/fedex. Just wondering what it's been like for loads out there? Where is the freight moving? In the NE? SE? or ?? Are the loads paying good or just so so? What's the cost of fuel been like lately? We would ask our drivers, but can't get a word out of them-except loads are slow. Any help you guys can offer is really appreciated. Thanks and be safe out there!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Log on to WWW Urgent freight.Com and you will see why Fedex freight is slow.This is a loadboard website operated by Fedex CC for shippers.Shippers can post loads and and other carriers than Fedex CC can bid on this load ,get the load and pay Fedex CC a percentage of the revenue,while those of us who have trucks leased to Fedex CC sit. It is a total slap in the face to the contractor who has a truck leased to them.Where is the loyalty to the guy or gal who has been with them for years.Our leases say we are to be exclusiver carriers for them,but they are not obtaining EXCLUSIVE freight for us..

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
To add to my previous post,I have a brother in law who is in chage of a small company in Paterson Ga that makes caps and hats.He called me today and said they had received a very slick brochure from www.urgentfreight.com outlining all that they do for expedited freight.The brochure stated that they would receive a firm price and offer within 15 minutes and it could be from any CARRIER THAT IS QUALIFIED.He has never used expediting in his busines but has used normal Fdex Freight,so they are getting the customer base from Fedex.It sure doesn!t look good for us in the future.We will be sitting while CTX,Panther etc can get our loada.After 14 years I intend to leave them and go somewhere else, not sure where or when but am sure going to do it..Good luck,by the way I paid $1.70 per gallon for fuel at the Petro in Scranton Pa on Thursday,$1.38 at the Flying J in Dillon SC on Friday..

Kyle O

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have teams on with FedEx and others and I have seen the freight pick up SLIGHTLY in November. Mine are still siting about half the weekends and maybe at least 24 hours during the week. Fuel is very high and other owners are probably trying to steal your team (and mine) as I write this post. It is a tough time to be in any form of trucking! Good Luck!

Kyle O

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Rich M. Urgentfreight.com

I am disappointed to read you might be leaving FedExCC. I enjoy reading your posts (you are always very honest) and I can tell you (although my experience is not near your 14 yrs) that no where is going to be any better. I have trucks on with Panther, TriState, FedEx and I have looked in detail at all the others. They are all trying to do the same thing (I think you KNOW this). In short order, I should be able to give you some feed back on urgentfreight.com (volume, pricing, etc.) Until then I hope you stick it out. The industry needs people like yourself! When you see a company like FedEx buy American Freightways, or land a logistics deal with Ford, you should feel more confident that you are working with a strong company. If Custom Critical makes a decision that they can run an urgentfreight.com entity. They have done so with the understanding of its impact on the IC's. It would be a bad business decision for the to rob peter to pay paul. I wish you a good holiday season.

neo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In response to RichM's 2 previous posts: I can guarantee that nothing that has ever happened to you involving FedexCC has anything to do with the creation of UrgentFreight.com. If you are unhappy, then it is most likely because you are burned out on the "expedited industry"-not FedexCC. No matter who you were leased onto this year, you would probably have found a reason to quit and try to find the "greener grass". There is no "greener grass". It is just different not better. You are obviously having trouble adapting to a changing industry and the "webification" of every type of business, including expedited freight. Websites like UrgentFreight.com will probably be popping up everywhere when the little guys realize they have do what's necessary to keep up with the big dogs. How much competition did FedexCC (Roberts Express) have 10 years ago? Not much. All the little competitors started popping up like weeds and modeling themselves after Roberts. Now there are little Mom and Pops that have Qualcomm hook ups. Who would have thought? I would think that when the industry is taking a dip like it is, you would want to be signed on with the company that is least likely to go bankrupt. Say what you want but I am going to give readers a different perspective on your opinion. Isn't the internet great? Without it we wouldn't be having so much fun posting on EOL! I'm so glad Al Gore invented it. LOL

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If this new load board is so sucessful for Fed Ex CC, why haven"t I been offered any of the loads? My income has dropped over 60%

Bet yours hasn't. While you REMFs sit and take orders, the worker bees are starving!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Kyle and Neo.Thank you for your comments.I am not burned out on Expediting,Frankly I enjoy the lifestyle and the every day is different routine. I realize that all markets change and the change may not always benefit you as a individual. However I have never made decisions on a emotional basis,if anything I tend to procrastinate and try to weigh everything evenly.If and when the time comes for me to do something else or try another company I will have analyzed (hopefullY) all of the reasons to make this change.
Where I am coming from on this Urgent Freight Com is I feel somewhat betrayed and where mine and others loyalty basically means very little in the overall scheme of things. I remember telling someone Fedex CC is a good company but it would take very little effort to make it a GREAT company. I guess where I am coming from now is that I will no longer go the Extra Mile.The days of going out at 3AM in a snowstorm to rescue a stranded shipmentare gone. I have seen many changes over the years and in many instances they have benefeted us,but I cannot see the company that I am leased to solicting freight that competing expediting companys can bid and get that freight,benefit me.I also realize that if I left I would have zero impact on their operations and I understand that,but as I said earlier I just feel betrayed.. Random Thoughts on A Saturday night,stay safe everyone..

TRUCKNMAMA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RichM I know the feeling very well. I always give 110% but as you said I also feel betrayed. I have never worked where I was a number before this is the first time,and Iv'e worked for big company's. I always knew my dispatchers,and my boss. When I had a problem I spoke to someone face to face and got it settled. I sat 147 hrs last week. 72 hrs in Kenly,NC and 75 hrs in Jacksonville,FL. I hated to leave because they said we were 1st on list. After being there 24 hrs and dispatch telling me I'm next we're afraid to leave because we'll hit the bottom at the next express center. My husband takes it personal, I just get depressed. Its hard to keep a positive attitude. This Company is out for themselves and don't care about us. There's more where we came from (that's there attitude).
Iris