Need recomendations for required cargo control equ

tellico40

Seasoned Expediter
I am just getting started in Expediting and need some feedback on equipment and quantity of each piece cargo control equipment. My truck has 3 rows of e-trac (dimensions 23ft long x 102 inch wide box). I already have two load bars and a list of items I think I need. I just don't want to buy items I will not need.
I can also use some recommendations on HazMat placards.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
RE: Need recomendations for required cargo control

Depends. What types of freight does your carrier typically haul? Do you habdle a lot of pieces where you'd need a two wheel dolly? Will you need a specialty dolly. Rachet straps and cinch straps are always required. A couple of D rings for E-track. Furniture pads for delicate stuff and a furniture dolly might be handy. A couple of sheets of 1/2" plywood, 4'x8' for carpet protection or rolling dolly over uneven surfaces.

Shippers of Hazmat are required to provide placards so all you should need are placard holders fastened left, right, forward and aft.

tellico40

Seasoned Expediter

I will be leased to Panther the first of the year! Great news on the placards! I did not understand that.

aquawarrior7

Expert Expediter

And clear duct tape to hold the placards in just to be certain. I think some people thinks its cute to take them and sometimes they just seem to fly out so an extra little peice of tape is good to go.
A few bars to make sure that you have enough stopping power in the front of the load as I saw a picture of what happens if there isn't enough keeping all that weight where it is supposed to be.
So use more than one bar in the front of the freight.and use the straps too. Nothing wrong with oversecuring the freight in my mind.
I love the ratchet straps. Sometimes Pilots and some other truckstops have them on sale. That is when I buy extras.

tellico40

Seasoned Expediter

Clear tape, that's a great idea. Thank you.

Has anyone used the e-tac slide brackets that it on te load bars, allowing front to rear placement of the load bars? I will try to attach a pic of these "slide brackets.
I found these on www.easternmarine.com

bigjoep89

Expert Expediter

Concrete truck driver 15 years
Concrete sales mgr, 13 years.
Expediter 2 years.
FECC

Tellico; Here is a list of what we kept in our D-Unit. Important always over secure your freight. Strap the freight to where you think it is secure and than add more securing devices. Do not be afraid of what people will think it is your safety and reputation at stake.

6 load lock bars
12 moving pads
12 bands
6 e-bar-straps
6 regular tie down straps
2 6 foot long 2 x 4 and nails, a double head nail makes them easier to remove and hammer. A good hammer as the flooring is hard wood.
6 e-bar connecting rings so you can hook your regular tie down straps.
2 rolls Clear duct tape
And other things that I may have forgot and others will mention.
Good luck and be safe.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

and a partridge in a pair tree

but hers a trick if you have the haz mat holders for the placards the shipper gives you
take a metal coat hanger,bend it into a diamond shape,and slide it in the holder over the plackard,you will never loose another placard

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter

Big Joe stole my thunder. Except for one thing. I do not carry any 2x4 instead I went to Home Depot and got Steaks, the ones they use for marking property lines off with.

If I need it higher I stack two and than pound the nail thru both pieces. 260 loads later I have not found anything I needed 2x4 that this did not work with the rest of the securement Joe has. You really need more load bars two aint gona do it.

tellico40

Seasoned Expediter

Thanks to all for the feedback. I have a list and I'm cecking it twice....

Merry Christmas and a Happy& Safe New Year.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Most medium-size and large cities host stores where freight handling and van body equipment can be purchased. You don't need to run out and buy everything at once. But, especially if you are hauling HAZMAT, you should be open to buying everything you need. Don't skimp on the devices that will secure your freight.

With every load, we always over-secure our freight. If two ratchet straps will do, we use three. Where some drivers might not use any load bars, we would likely use four. That somtimes leads to questions or even ridicule at loading docks. Those generally pass when we say we have never once had a freight damage claim.

Others can laugh all they want. It makes no difference to us. We're the ones who will live with that freight while it is in our care. We could die with it if it is not well-secured.

Your customers see the back of your truck more than any other part of it. Having and using more freight handling equipment than your competition is a great way to signal your customer that he or she is getting his or her money's worth from you.

Again, you don't have to buy a whole bunch of equipment before you start. But do be willing to buy all the high-quality gear you need to safely handle and secure your freight.