Need advice on charging to hand unload my truck

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
at ceva we get so much per pound, we have a sheet that tells us how much we will make
also the first 31 mins is free than we go on the clock at .27 a min until were done

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I charge like that sometimes if I really don't want the job if I get it I'll hire some spot labor and still make money while saving my back and knes

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
One load my nephew and I got was store paneling, which filled our truck, and was very heavy. It went to Houston during the summer. We were told there would be someone there to unload us... there wasn't. It took us all day, and every bit of strength we had. I believe we got 450 bucks for the hand unload.

The OP isn't very far off from what I would offer, being that what he would have to unload would be a complete unknown until he gets to the shipper. Xiggi has the right idea; but if we're talking a 24'er here, I'd go with 150 for the first hour - min, plus 75/hr afterwards, or 450-500 flat. Of course, this would be different if it ended up unload-able w a pallet jack, or only took up 10', for instance. But sight unseen, along with the broker not having a clue what the deal is, you definitely charge for the undisclosed.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now, in truth I probably wouldn't charge like that. But, a standard-length Chevy van just isn't that bad a prospect to hand-unload if the boxes are liftable. If you can't lift them then hand-unload becomes laughable anyway. However, for the sake of this discussion I've assumed we're talking something on the order of a 20' box or greater on a straight rig, requiring a lift-gate. Doggone tootin' I think I'd charge that and then some, sight unseen. Maybe adjust the price once I know the facts, but going in cold like this--- I'd rather not get the job than not get paid for working like a coolie, hefting boxes of unknown weight possibly upstairs and God only knows what else.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Coolie? That's a new one I've only ever heard of that but it started with an m, being all PC here ya know

wesaypop

Rookie Expediter
Well the load was cancelled. I ended up getting a load with fewer miles that paid well. I'm kinda happy they cancelled, though. I was starting to get bad vibes. But if I ever get something like that again, at least I'll know how to go about charging for my labor.

Thanks everyone!