Need a good laugh ?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
If you are looking for a good laugh,try reading the EO classifieds under available teams. Some of the conditions that these people put out there,range from absurd to highly ridiculous.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I believe it is a straight truck with a GVW of 26,000# or less,and not requiring a CDL to operate it. But then again,don't most of the companies require a CDL if you are driving a straight truck for them ?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm always looking for a good laugh - but I've never found it in the misfortunes and/or shortcomings of others, and I hope I never do.
Somehow, it never occurred to me to look for humor in the "looking for work" ads.
The personals, though, can be a riot! :eek:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
You should try it, Cheri. By laughing at others, we can easily laugh at our own shortcomings. When ppl laugh at each other, we're all laughing WITH each other. The early SNL did a good job of that. Political correctness made this a much less funny country than it used to be.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Maybe I lack the right sense of humor, but I find a big difference between ATeam's hypothetical ad (which is funny), and trolling the ads of actual people looking for work, which isn't - IMO, of course.
Laughing at "people" in the abstract is one thing, whereas pointing to some in particular (who didn't, after all, ask for the input by posting on the Forums) with derision is just distasteful to me.
Maybe I'm just cranky, after sitting a couple days, but I'm not seeing the humor, is all I'm sayin.

Reactions: 1 person

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Though a good laugh is good, it's not when it's at someones misfortune. I haven't looked myself but I did post some stringent requirements when I was looking at going back. Why? Because I've been screwed before, know what I want and don't want to mess around. Just being straight forward, not funny.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
They are actually funny to read. However, it gets not so funny when you actually run into one of those types that didn't type the funny stuff up front, and only let you know the funny stuff after they get on the road. Your humor is OK DD, because there is nothing unfortunate about these type clowns.

Reactions: 1 person

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Oh but there is, Col: that some of them make the rest of us look bad. Just like the dishonest owners - a few bad apples, you know.
Whether they're "clowns" as you put it, or just folks who aren't terribly good at wording an ad, it's still not funny.
If you were looking to hire a team, what should their ad say?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Not funny IYO (in your oppinion). And thats it. I'd imagine there are more that find those type adds funny than not. Funny to the point of not getting any responses. Poor wording or not, they are still very unreasonable demands that are expected it seems. An that IS funny. Ya better git to runn'in there missie, ya got way too much time to feel sorry for folks that shoot themselves in the foot.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
'Preciate the concern, Col, but I've run enough the last couple weeks that I can afford to wait for a load that'll get me closer to home for Christmas - or DH, if need be.
I'm not taking time to feel sorry for folks, I do that while doing other things;)
I notice you didn't answer the question: what would attract you, in an ad?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You left out the word "second" there, Flying Fingers. lol.
But that's what I mean: instead of ridiculing, can't people who would hire teams offer advice on what to include in their ads?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
"Require 100"+ sleeper, huge walk-in fridge, queen-sized bed, and plenty of ice water for when we hafta deliver to he11. BTW... we want weekends off at home, which is in Idaho."

Now Cheri, if we told what would attract a potential owner, then ppl would say those magic words to hook us. Then, like the Col said, we'd get the demands after the fact. I say why help them with their resume? I'd rather read what they have to say. Putting words in their mouths doesn't help anyone.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I'll be the last person to think "funny" of someone whom is challenged. However, audacity and arrogance is open season with me.

Ya just can't put words in others mouths. You can completely write it for them, but as hawk mentions that is doing no good for anyone.

But it is typical, when reading that type of ad, that one figgures that the thought process is something like - "I've run enough the last couple weeks" - that I can take three off to make up for it.