Naughty Wipers

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My windshield wipers keep coming on all by themselvs. This is not a good thing, tends to spred bug gook all over things. I stopped at the Frieghtliner in N. Little Rock today and talked to them about it. They say it is a common complaint and that Frieghtliner has a new switch that takes care of it. There has not been a recall or service notice on it and it will not be covered under what little warrenty I have. I was going to get it fixed but they did not have the part. Is there another fix to this other than the new switch? Please impart a ton of wisdom on me. Thanks, Layoutshooter

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
All I can say is Freightiner in N.Little Rock isn't the best one around imo. It took the a week to replace an air bag on the suspension of a truck a driving once. Another time they didn't put my dad's oil plug in good and snug and it was leaking oil. Luckily he checked it because he saw the oil leaking out onto the ground. This was after Barloworld in Shrevport did the same thing and his motor blew up. It was the first oil change on that truck.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes it is a very common problem. Three of them were replaced under warenty. Now that I`m out of warrenty I just unplug it until it rains.

(The plug is inside the rubber boot)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I will look at the switch. Are they expensive? Are they hard to replace if I want to tackle it myself? Keep in mind that I am a mechcanical idiot. Layoutshooter

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Try pulling off the steering column cover by removing 2-3 torx screws.
Remove the 2 torx screws that attach the turn signal switch to the column. There are two electrical connections that must be unplugged. Clean the old grease out of the connections with contact cleaner and apply a good dielectric grease and reassemble. Auto parts stores have the little $5-6 tubes

Smokediver511

Seasoned Expediter
Along with the windshield wipers, the headlights seem to blink on and off too.

SmokeDiver & Company
Stacy & Sheryl Stiltner
Panther II #5837

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Well, wow!! I'm so glad you posted this! Our wipers tend to suddenly come on when we use the blinkers. I'm so glad to know it isn't just us! We have a 2007 Freightliner. Wouldn't you think they would have fixed the problem by now?????

India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
Every day should be an adventure, not a treadmill.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well India,

These things will never get fixed. There is no incentive for them to fix it. We, as consumers, have let these large companies get away with shoddy workmanship by not insiting that they fix the problems. Most people, myself included, accept what we are told by them. It is out of warrenty, the new switch has corrected the problem etc. And the beat goes on. Most of us feel that we are alone in our problems. Forums like this help alot. The next step is for all Freightliner owners who are having this problem join together and first demand a true repair and if that does not work file suit. It is up to the consumers to force companies to do right. Till then, try the dielectric grease, it has worked for over two weeks since I cleaned the contacts and put new grease in. It will work until the new grease get cooked like the old did. Layoutshooter

jwgmover

Expert Expediter
Funny, I logged on to see if anyone was having this wiper problem.

My '07 wipers turn on more when I use the right turn signal. It's random and can never be duplicated when the dealer has it.

I also have the headlight problem, dealer in Greenville, SC charged me $170 (2 Hours labor) to have their best tech look at it. Also random and he couldn't find the problem.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Try pulling back the rubber sleeve over the turn signal lever. There is a white plug near there. Pull it out, it's easy, clean out the old burned dielectric grease and put new in. It has held for about 3 weeks for me now. Thanks to Team Caffee for the tip. I understand that there the other end of that harness is under the lever. I cannot remember who told me that, sorry. I will look at it when I shut down for a few days. Layoutshooter