My mom wants to get into expediting

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Along w/ my dad sometimes. I'm going to be put to shame when someone asks us "Mrs W, how many miles did you get last month?" & she repsonds w/ something like "10,890"

& then they ask "Danny, how many miles did you get last month?" & I respond w/ "about 400" :eek:

Seriously though, she likes to travel. She'd have a different mind set than most of us. When she gets a trip somewhere she'd like to stay for a bit & see the area.

She doesn't need the $$, she's just worked all her life until this last Oct. & is getting restless. She would start when I get a newer vehicle & give her mine.

I'm not even sure what Q's to ask here, but are there any retired couples doing this who can share their experiences?

Thanx,
Danny

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Danny this thread has 57 views...I think some are speechless..*L* Never seen a thread title like this one....;)

Good Luck to your Mom and Dad.....be prepared some don't like the idea of "recreational RV'ers/expeditors" just ask ChefDennis....he is one...*LOL*

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
My advice to you parents,would be to think about doing the trailor delvery thing. I have a retired Uncle and aunt that do that. They have done expedite also. With the trailors they can pick the area they want to go to, and the company only requires they to haul 2 loads every 3 months. No QC and no occ Ins.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
My advice to you parents,would be to think about doing the trailor delvery thing. I have a retired Uncle and aunt that do that. They have done expedite also. With the trailors they can pick the area they want to go to, and the company only requires they to haul 2 loads every 3 months. No QC and no occ Ins.

I appreciate the thought. The appealing thing to them about expediting is that they wouldn't have to buy a van. I'd give em mine when I got a newer one.

That's actually how this all came about. I was telling my mom I was thinking of a newer vehicle. She asked what I was going to do w/ my old one. I said more than likely trade it in, but I might sell it. That's when she brought up she'd like to do my job because she travels a fair amount anyway, might as well get paid for it.

For the other gig they'd have to buy a truck w/ a 5th wheel. Neat idea though. I remember a thread on here about that very thing. I believe in that thread was a link to a site for people who hauled trailers. In that thread was a guy who had his truck set up in a way that he could haul 2 trailers at a time. A really crafty idea. He did extremely well for himself.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Along w/ my dad sometimes. I'm going to be put to shame when someone asks us "Mrs W, how many miles did you get last month?" & she repsonds w/ something like "10,890"

& then they ask "Danny, how many miles did you get last month?" & I respond w/ "about 400" :eek:

Seriously though, she likes to travel. She'd have a different mind set than most of us. When she gets a trip somewhere she'd like to stay for a bit & see the area.

She doesn't need the $$, she's just worked all her life until this last Oct. & is getting restless. She would start when I get a newer vehicle & give her mine.

I'm not even sure what Q's to ask here, but are there any retired couples doing this who can share their experiences?

Thanx,
Danny

I think it's great Danny. I bumped into a retired couple about a year ago that were in their late 60's. They were in a cargo van. Can't remember who they were leased to.

He told me they didn't like sitting around their house and wanted to see the country. His wife popped out of the van and said that she was tired of seeing his old butt sitting in a chair. They were hilarious. He did say that they only run 6 months out of the year, not in winter.

I think that some carriers have age limits, so that may be something you need to check on. Good luck to your Mom and Dad.

Danny this thread has 57 views...I think some are speechless..*L* Never seen a thread title like this one....;)

Good Luck to your Mom and Dad.....be prepared some don't like the idea of "recreational RV'ers/expeditors" just ask ChefDennis....he is one...*LOL*

I don't see any cheesecake in your immediate future.:D

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
I think it's great Danny. I bumped into a retired couple about a year ago that were in their late 60's. They were in a cargo van. Can't remember who they were leased to.

He told me they didn't like sitting around their house and wanted to see the country. His wife popped out of the van and said that she was tired of seeing his old butt sitting in a chair. They were hilarious. He did say that they only run 6 months out of the year, not in winter.

I think that some carriers have age limits, so that may be something you need to check on. Good luck to your Mom and Dad.

I don't see any cheesecake in your immediate future.:D

When I retire Im buying one of those cool trucks from the Expo last year that had the sleeper larger than the freight box. And then I'm gonna dispatch myself. Maybe even follow OVM around and give him a hardtime.lol.:D