My decision was made for me

raceman

Veteran Expediter
As you regulars know, I have been trying to decide what to do as far as trucks go. Try to keep building or get back to just one truck and just enjoy it as an owner operator.

I am going to stay in my truck and just be an owner operator and enjoy the business. My driver in my other truck informed me today he is quitting. He got a deal with another owner to lease a truck and although I think he is making a big mistake, I respect his decision and he has help me make mine.

I was holding on to the truck he is in simply because he is in it and he deserved a job. Well without him I am getting out. I hooked up with a little company here in town and do some very enjoyable wotk with them. Most of it is contract loads so I know what I have and I also get some dedicated runs and here and there I do some OTR runs. It is fantastic. That being the case as of this moment I am now just going to be an owner operator.

I think you will see that my posts really change from here on out. I feel like a ton of stress has been lifted.

Raceman
Owner Two Straight Truck.
Part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT.
2 years OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
OTR Straight Truck Plt to Plt off and on 5 years.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1
Father of 4 children
Grandfather of 1 boy
3 years without full use of my mind

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
From what you told me about your driver, that was a big mistake for him. I can imagine he'll be coming back to you for his old job within a month or two because he squandered his lease payment. Wish you luck with your new gig!

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Oh Thawk I am right on the edge of simply wigging out. You may be right about the driver but there will not be a truck I can assure you that.

Raceman
2 years OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1
Father of 4 children
Grandfather of 1 boy

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Good luck on your new venture.
Based on some of your posts over the past month, I think you might be a little more stress free.
Good luck on the new position
Davekc

Tony

Expert Expediter
Good luck Raceman. Maybe someday I can buy you coffee and relate my horror stories (s/t burned to the ground,rearended at 70 HARD in van, another van needed trans. then backed into by t/t, van driver---uh, well he screwed up). I am at 1 s/t and 1 van now. If fuel comes down a bit I'll spring for dinner too. Started off great then went to sh--.I really hope that it goes good for you from here on out.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Good for you. I'd kill (figuratively speaking) for a deal like that. Good luck selling the truck and we'll see you down the road.

Tony

Expert Expediter
Truckerbuddy, is that response to me? I did not go into detail like raceman (why not look for his post on that and ask him if he would like some wine?), don't have the time. That,like Raceman, was only meant to point out the potential problems that come up when you get into this, or any business. If you brought up cr-- that has happened to you nobody here would call you a whiner. If in response to Raceman, well considering his misfortunes, he can whine (I did not think of it as whining) all he wants and I for one will not bash him. Thanks and I hope you don't come close to rolling over at 70 (did you know that can kill you?) when some jerkoff hits you at well over a 1oo. By the way, why is the point in the rating system from yourself?

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Tony! I am far from whining. I love what I have done and what I do. I simply was enjoying some stories with others. I have never creid about any decision I make. I am a big boy and I sleep in the bed I make. I have done my best to take what has been less than a great 3 or 4 months and share it so new folks see what can happen as opposed to the bright lights and smoke that many attempt to blow up their skirts.

I think this is a fantastic business to be in and I am still in it. I have just decided to be an owner operator and drop the fleet thing.

I hope you all enjoy your weekend. By the way, many folks have said it is nice to know that crap happens to everyone and they have thanked me for being honest in what otherwise is an not so great situation.

Raceman
2 years OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1
Father of 4 children
Grandfather of 1 boy

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
So typical Got Some Wine With That Cheese. Got anything more intelligent to say than say it. So sick and tired of big rig drivers with that comment. Just shows there IQ maybee 2. Not saying all big rig drivers are #^%^$# just those with the wine comment so shove it. Wish not to get into a cat fight with a jerk so I will sign off.

miko

Expert Expediter
Raceman, I am glad the decision was made for you and you have found suitable work with the local company.
It is nice sometimes when things work out finaly, when you think you won't see the light on the end of the tunnel anymore.
Good luck!