My bad day!

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had the worst day in my expediting career last Friday. Let me tell you about it, I need to vent. lol

Started Friday morning, arrived at receiver early but they weren't open. Was a 6 am delivery but they don't open until 6:30 am. Not a real problem because shipper was aware I was on site at 3 am already.

After delivery I went to Walmart in Carol Stream IL. There was some construction going on so I parked far from the building. Soon they were forklifts and people working all around me. So I moved. Next place I parked, after a short time, there's dump trucks lining up in front of me. Again I was in the wrong spot. Finally just moved over to KMart.

About 4:30 pm I get a call for a p/u right in Carol Stream where I'm sitting. Only problem is its a 20:00 p/u. So, checked GPS and found a Camping World only 20 miles away, had plenty of time and needed to get my roof vent installation materials. Started going there, never considered traffic. Took over 1 1/2 hours to travel the 20 miles. Another 1 1/2 hours to get back to shipper.

Arrived at shipper 20 minutes early, at 19:40. Went in and found the truck bringing the load from a different warehouse was running late. Finally got loaded at almost 22:00 almost a 2 hour delay. Then being an automotive load the skid didn't fit. So take off the top layer and put it back on when I get to the receiver in Romulus MI.

Now I start heading to MI and I notice that my alternator output is low and getting lower. Ran as few accessories as possible to conserve batteries. No a/c, no radio and lights only after dusk. Looking at milage to Romulus, figured if I could get within 100 miles from there that AAA would tow me there. Then I figured I'd use my Progressive insurance roadside assistance to get towed from receiver to repair facility. Truck stopped running 99 miles from receiver! Called for flatbed wrecker, loaded van and gave address that I wanted to be towed to. Then about 8 miles from receiver, the flatbed wrecker blows both right side rear tires! Forgot to mention that the van with the freight weighed about 9,500#. OOP's

So we get tires replaced and continue to receiver. Finally get there, jump start my van and back off wrecker and up the receivers ramp. Left truck running, unload freight, add back the top layer that was removed. About that time van stops running again, give it a push and roll down ramp and as far out of the way as possible.

I noticed right across the street a bunch of expedite trucks from Express 1, Panther and others. Walked over there and it's Interstate Truck Source. They agree to fix my van, sitting across the street, at about noon. Managed to get my windows open so I could nap while waiting.

They arrive at 11:44 with new alternator to install. Get old one off and new one almost back on, now the sky's are getting dark. Not quite done and it starts pouring rain, not enough power in my batteries to even close my windows! Quick hooked up jumper cables, got windows closed and waited. Rain stopped shortly and finished repairs. Went across the street and paid for the repairs.

By this time I'd had enough! Didn't even call dispatch, just started going home. Lucky me, got to Chicago right at 16:30 just in time for rush hour. Finally got home and besides putting a battery charger on, I'm not touching the van again until I get a call on Monday.

Got it handled but what a lousy day! Got home, took a shower, grabbed the wife and went out for a late fish fry. Went to a wedding on Saturday and doing nothing today. Things have been normal since getting home on Friday.. Thank God! Thanks for listening. Bill

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Whoa, buddy - sorry to hear the day was such a mess! Sounds like it started Thurs and went all the way through Friday...maybe you've had your share, and more, of bad stuff happening and will now have nothing but blue skies for awhile.

Monty

Expert Expediter
At least you were willing to share the day .... (rollback tires, bet he wasn't happy!), and the repair folks, (the rain) ....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bill, if your battery is more than a year old you may want to replace it after all it has been through.

I've gone through more than my fair share of alternators. The furthest I ever drove was about 35 miles after noticing my voltage dropping. This was without lights or accessories. I'm curious as to how far today's automobiles, with all the electronics could travel without an alternator. Looks like you went about 200 miles or so. How many miles with the headlights on?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Bill, if your battery is more than a year old you may want to replace it after all it has been through.

I've gone through more than my fair share of alternators. The furthest I ever drove was about 35 miles after noticing my voltage dropping. This was without lights or accessories. I'm curious as to how far today's automobiles, with all the electronics could travel without an alternator. Looks like you went about 200 miles or so. How many miles with the headlights on?
My Sprinter made it about 150 miles with the lights and wipers on in heavy rain before dying. The battery light on the whole time.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It went farther then it should because I had two battery's connected through my battery isolator. It ran about from 22:15 until 2:30 before it stopped. I'd say about 200+ miles.

Thank God I don't get too many days like that. My first thoughts were to get the freight delivered. I was in Battle Creek MI and couldn't find a cross dock nearby or a local forklift at that time of night. If it had been daytime I would have tried finding a place that would change my alternator while I waited. That would have actually been the quickest solution. You all know "stuff happens"!

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Hate to hear of your bad luck, we all have it at sometime or another. Now the goods times and days are ahead of you. Im going to hate to see when my comes,lol

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Howdy

What was wrong, the load got delivered, you had that nice cooling rain to keep things comfortable while the work was done. You spent the weekend at home.

Sounds like things worked out pretty good. What would of happened if you hadn't been checking your gauges and knew about the problems you were about to have. You might have ended up parked on the side of a dark highway, and being under the stress may not of thought of your towing option in time.

And you didn't have to pay for the blown tow truck tires.

Still would have been better if the dang thing hadn't broken at all.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Strange thought..........
I figure the laws of physics would probably make this impossible, but would a power inverter running a battery charger on a low setting (like 2-5 amps) keep a van running? Or maybe keep it running a bit longer than with battery alone? It sounds unorthodox but strangely appealing as a stop gap to breaking down roadside.

I was super fortunate last week. I heard one of those "odd" noises under the hood. Tensioner bearing GONE. Serp belt riding on the bearing race, which was basically "sliding" metal to metal.
I had checked in at my pick and told the truck bringing my freight was about an hour out. Straight to Advance Auto Parts. Fortunate the tensioner is about the easiest bolt-on part on the 4.8L. Had a he'll of a time getting the new belt on. But made it back before my freight was in. Whew!!!!!!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Strange thought..........
I figure the laws of physics would probably make this impossible, but would a power inverter running a battery charger on a low setting (like 2-5 amps) keep a van running? Or maybe keep it running a bit longer than with battery alone?
The inverter and charger are being powered by the battery and consuming some of that power.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, I was truly fortunate. It was a good lesson for me to not ONLY rely on gauges and actually turn down the radio on occasion!!!