Moving up the food chain (straight truck)

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You are right, you would hate to see me backing up, its a funny site. But I'd rather be safe than sorry.

The most challenging for me was actually pulling out of the t/s Friday night when it was full, but I was so proud to be pulling out of there with a load while they were all hunkering down for the night. Its too bad there is no room at our docks, otherwise that is a good idea.

I'll watch for a closed dock to get some practice in.

A good way to practice is in a truck stop parking lot where you have a few spots that are empty. I used to practice by backing up and pretending there were trucks in the 2 spots on the sides and I had to back in between them. I would then just treat the curb as the dock and try getting as close as I could without going over it. I found there are people that will see what you are doing and give some pointers or help as long as you are honest and tell them you are practicing, they know everyone is a rookie at some point.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When you are at the shop...have it measured...gee whiz...

It is hard to believe a professional driver does not know without a doubt the height of their truck...:eek:

I hate to bust your bubble, [perfect place for a 'snort'], but in the two years I've been driving this truck, there hasn't been a single time when knowing the exact number was either necessary or even helpful. It's less than the 13'6" that is the 'standard' height for trucks, so anywhere a truck can go, I can too.
But the biggest threat [by a large margin] is the everyday object that's so much a part of the background it's nearly invisible: tree branches, utility lines overhead, signs, canopies, balconies, various overhangs & projections from buildings - and not one of them is labeled as to height, so what good is knowing my own? What I need to know is whether one is higher than the other, and if so, which one? If it's the other one, or I can't tell, then it's time for Plan B: go around, instead of under it.
When the exact dimension matters [weight, width, depth], I know the numbers - but this one I don't need to know.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Not even sure what the height is on the Sterling, [13 3?] but a low overpass in Mitchell, Wisconsin, earlier this week sent me on a 5 mile detour - not worth taking the chance.

When the exact dimension matters [weight, width, depth], I know the numbers - but this one I don't need to know.

But you do need to know because it does matter! If you knew your clearance that 5 mile detour may have been unnecessary.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
But you do need to know because it does matter! If you knew your clearance that 5 mile detour may have been unnecessary.

When the first 2 numbers on the low overpass sign are 12, it's necessary.
I asked the owner when he bought the truck what the height is, [it's not in the owner's manual, I looked], he said he believes it's 13'3", so I'm going with that until I remember to get it measured.
It's on my list, ok? :D

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
When the first 2 numbers on the low overpass sign are 12, it's necessary.
I asked the owner when he bought the truck what the height is, [it's not in the owner's manual, I looked], he said he believes it's 13'3", so I'm going with that until I remember to get it measured.
It's on my list, ok? :D

Look at it this way...if you drive around this great country's freeway systems and you haven't heard "scraaaaaape scrrreeeeeeech thunk!" from overhead, then you're cool.

In Texas, can't help but notice some of the overpass height markers."22' 6" " or "24' "... is that required by law at that height or are they just bragging?

Stop by my house when you're in the area. With a tape measure, yard stick, ladder, string, a couple of my cats and a calculator, we'll get it. If that fails, we'll just make something up.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Look at it this way...if you drive around this great country's freeway systems and you haven't heard "scraaaaaape scrrreeeeeeech thunk!" from overhead, then you're cool.

In Texas, can't help but notice some of the overpass height markers."22' 6" " or "24' "... is that required by law at that height or are they just bragging?

It's Texas - it's definitely bragging.

No, I believe it's for the overheight freight.

Stop by my house when you're in the area. With a tape measure, yard stick, ladder, string, a couple of my cats and a calculator, we'll get it. If that fails, we'll just make something up.
Deal!
As usual, Moot has a knack for making me feel guilty about taking the lazy way out, even when it doesn't make any difference, sigh.
But that's what makes him a good friend to have - that and his warped sense of humor, lol.:)
PS I'm confused about what the cats & string are for, but trust you have something in mind.....

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

60MPH

Expert Expediter
What happens if you are offered a load dropping under the building in the parking garage, like the Union Station post office and a few others in the Wash. D.C. / NYC. area?? Door height is 12'6 maximum, some 12'4. If its on the load offer do ya just turn it down because you don't know your height?? That could be a costly mistake. I found out the hard way I was sent there in a 53 footer and dispatch said nothing about the docks being under the building and having a 12'6 door height. That was a fun day :rolleyes:

It will only take ya 5 mins to measure the height, and then you can be sure and not take 5 mile detours or know whether or not to take some load offers.

Just some food for thought!!

Last edited:

60MPH

Expert Expediter
One thing I could definately use some help with is backing into docks. I obviously am super careful and I take my time, I find myself scared to back right in to the dock, should I just go ahead and bump the dock and let the rubber do its job? Got any tips?

As others have said G.O.A.L. until YOU feel comfortable with backing. Also continue to do it so after you get good so you don't have a whoopsy.

Yes I use to just coast in to the dock (clutch in, foot on brake) at like 2-3 mph and let the rubbers do the work. Sometimes you gotta give it a little gas if they have a old rusty dock lock, ICC bar type. As long as the dock plate is not jumping and you don't hear a load bang, you are probably doing just fine. If you hit one to hard (as I have:eek:) they will usually make a comment when you go in to get loaded/unloaded. If you heard a load bang when backing and went inside to find the dock plate in the air at a 45 degree angle, you hit it HARD!!!!

And as Greg started pull forward about a inch after you bump, as some dock plates may not go up if your rubbers are touching

You have to be really careful if you have a Chicago style step bumper, as you can do some damage with these.

Last edited:

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Depends on how much your getting, if you are just picking up 2 skids and they are going to tail gate them then I would say no. For safety sake I would say yes to most of the time that it is more than 2 skids.

I have no experience in a 6 wheeler but I have loaded heavy rolls of paper in a 53 with the tandems all the way forward (not recommended) and nothing bad happened.

I would think the longer the over hang past the rear axle, the more often you would drop your legs for support. I have seen 6 wheeler's out here not drop there legs and they did not have any problems for the most part.

Although on time at band camp:D I did see a 22' box truck with a big sleeper get loaded with a outdoor lift:eek: and they had a heck of a time getting the lift and skid out because the rear was going really low. Ended up having broken floor boards and other damage.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What happens if you are offered a load dropping under the building in the parking garage, like the Union Station post office and a few others in the Wash. D.C. / NYC. area??

Delivered one to the Reagan Bldg in DC, [and collected it the next day for return to shipper], that was extremely tight, spacewise, but the height was designed for t/t - just had to inch around the 4 wheelers parked on the ramps.
:eek:

Door height is 12'6 maximum, some 12'4. If its on the load offer do ya just turn it down because you don't know your height??

No, I'd turn it down because I know the height is greater than 12 - anything.

That could be a costly mistake. I found out the hard way I was sent there in a 53 footer and dispatch said nothing about the docks being under the building and having a 12'6 door height. That was a fun day :rolleyes:

If dispatch didn't mention it, it's because the customer didn't, either. I got one [while driving t/t] that specified 'dock cannot be seen from the street', but it didn't mention that it was in a parking garage for 4 wheelers....Another fun day - not.

It will only take ya 5 mins to measure the height, and then you can be sure and not take 5 mile detours or know whether or not to take some load offers.

I'd have had to detour anyhow, it was 12- something. And the measuring only takes 5 minutes, but finding a ladder is the problem [and when I did, I forgot about the height, cause it was never an issue].
I can't see dispatch offering a load that the truck can't do, whether too heavy, large, or high - they have the dimensions on their screen, and oddly enough, height isn't one of them.
But I will measure the dam thing ASAP, ok? :rolleyes::D

Just some food for thought!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
One thing I could definately use some help with is backing into docks. I obviously am super careful and I take my time, I find myself scared to back right in to the dock, should I just go ahead and bump the dock and let the rubber do its job? Got any tips?

The American Trucking Associations sponsors each year the National Truck Driving Championships. Part of the competition is precision truck driving. Contestants maneuver trucks through a course that tests the driver's ability to position the truck EXACTLY where it should be for a given task.

When Diane and I practiced with fellow competitors for the event, they showed us a technique called "getting your marks." You can do this on your own and it will come in handy every time you bump a dock.

With your truck parked in the open, mark a line on the ground to show where your dock bumpers would be if the truck was then at a dock (that will be the line perpendicular to the truck, directly below the truck's dock bumpers).

You don't need to draw a line. Just place two markers (gloves, wood blocks, shoes, whatever) on the ground along that line. Place the markers just wide of the truck so you can see them in your mirrors when seated behind the wheel with the seat in your normal driving position.

When you look at one of the markers, you get your mark by imagining the straight sight line that goes from your mirror to the marker on the ground. If you follow that imaginary line along the side of your truck, the line will intersect with something that can be referenced when bumping a dock.

On our truck my left-side mark is one of the chicken lights. It is different for Diane because she sits shorter in the seat. When I am backing up to a dock, that chicken light will line up with the base of the building just when the dock is bumped. When backing to a dock, I watch that light relative to the base of the building. As the distance closes, I know I am getting close.

This becomes an exact science on a competitive course where you are positioning the truck relative to clearly defined and consistent objects, and where less than an inch can be the difference between victory and defeat. It is not an exact science when backing up to real-world loading docks. Docks vary in size, shape, approach geometry, how far they extend from the building, etc. In the contest, close is for losers. In the real world, close is good enough.

Marks work in shopping mall parking lots too, like when I park across a number of car parking spots and want to position the rear of the truck half-way into an open parking place behind us to keep a car from parking us in. I'll move the truck until my mark (that same chicken light) lines up with the center of the parking place. When the chicken light is there, I know that's where the back of the truck is too.

If you bowl, the same principle applies. Bowlers use the marks at the beginning of the lane to line up their shot. Don't look at the pins (loading dock bumpers), look at the lane marks (truck marks) to guide the shot.

Get your marks elsewhere on the truck to know where your front bumper is, the right side of the truck relative to the fog line on the road, etc. It is a stress-relieving technique, especially when you are driving on a narrow lane or uncomfortably close to jersey barriers in a construction zone. It may feel like you are too close but your marks will tell you exactly where your truck is relative to objects around it.

Placing actual sight marks on the truck is prohibited in the contest but if no marks on your truck suggest themselves, try putting small markers (white dots, bits of masking tape) on your mirrors or side windows, and on the windshield to indicate where the front, sides and rear of your truck is relative to objects around it.

Another way to get your rear-of-truck marks would be to place pieces of tape on your mirrors when you are at a loading dock. Mark the spots where the base of the building appears in each mirror. Again, docks vary so do not commit to a permenant mark (dots of White Out work great) until you have gotten your marks at a few docks. Getting your marks in an open area is more precise since the marks are calibrated to the truck itself and not a dock.

Last edited:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Do a YouTube search for truck rodeo to see competition backing.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Do a YouTube search for truck rodeo to see competition backing.

Oh, that'll make him feel better.....:rolleyes:
ATeam is right, if you can find an aid that works, it makes it much easier. I had a world of trouble backing the 53 ft trailer, just couldn't get the hang of steering in the opposite direction - until I changed my focus from the top of the steering wheel to the bottom, and turned it the way I wanted the trailer to go, like normal. That one little change made a huge difference.
There's an idea: practice with a t/t, and the s/t will be easy! ;)

MissKat

Expert Expediter
It does matter what your height is for example on AIA in deerfield beach in the northbound lane they only trim the limbs to 13'. Smashed the front corner of your straightbox all to heck.....if you are a team, make consistent hand signals and NEVER move unless you can see your spotter. It also helps to have four new Orange cones on board. Put your truck number on them. Set them out for practice and on the corners of your parking spot so the big trucks know you are in it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It does matter what your height is for example on AIA in deerfield beach in the northbound lane they only trim the limbs to 13'.

Is that publicized? A1A is a major route - where else would the t/t go?

I've been wondering about the tree trimming budgets, in these days of financial crises - if a city doesn't keep up with the trees, will truckers be blamed for damaging their roofs?
And how would one even know the tree branches weren't trimmed as they've always been?

Smashed the front corner of your straightbox all to heck.....if you are a team, make consistent hand signals and NEVER move unless you can see your spotter. It also helps to have four new Orange cones on board. Put your truck number on them. Set them out for practice and on the corners of your parking spot so the big trucks know you are in it.