More About FedEx Truckload Brokerage

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
>Recruiting continues to recruit and the fleet size stays
>about the same.

That's good news, is it not?

If you have x-number of trucks and are doing an average of 1150 shipments a day, and then you still have the same x-number of trucks when you're averaging 650 shipments a day, I'm gonna go with not.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>>Recruiting continues to recruit and the fleet size stays
>>about the same.
>
>That's good news, is it not?

>
>If you have x-number of trucks and are doing an average of
>1150 shipments a day, and then you still have the same
>x-number of trucks when you're averaging 650 shipments a
>day, I'm gonna go with not.

In that scenario, "Not" would be the right answer. But the fleet is not as large as it used to be. If the 650 daily run count is accurate, and somewhat-recently announced fleet size number of about 1,500 is too, that is not oversize. A percentage of people are out of service, at home, broke down, and unavialable to haul freight for a variety of reasons. The 1,500 number does not mean 1,500 are available all at once.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I thought it appropriate here using Talcal's provided numbers.
There is no quibbling as I didn't provide any of Fedex's rate numbers. Just observations based on his posts.
After all, he was a fleet owner looking at his investment with these rates over several trucks, and over a period of time.
I think it is a value to new drivers and fleet owners alike to really understand their investments. All too often many don't and we see the results. I think this thread illustrates those points.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Fuzzy numbers, straight numbers, eh? So... we looking for the salvation of the FLEET owner (who's numbers are plenty tight) or, an owner Operator?? I personnaly can't imagine even TRYING to split a trucks revenue three ways. (driver, driver, owner). Even splitting a trucks revenue two ways, and keeping all parties liquid, being a CONTRACTOR to a Carrier has to take lotsa voodoo. Or, lotsa brown on the nose. Ya gotta understand, I don't know nuthing bout this business, buttt.... I jus don't understand.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
After reading all this,I'm sure gald I drive an E unit.Competition is much less,and unless i agree to take a discounted D load,that has been turned down by all the D drivers,my cheapest load is 1.84,and thats a discount that unless it goes where I want,won't get picked up by me.
I probably shouldn't brag,but i just delivered a load from Hammond La. area to Jacksonville Fl area,$3000.00 for 617 loaded miles,and only dead headed 267 to pick it up,of course it was on a flat bed,but the idea is be specialized,then when things are slow,you are busy.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>...but the idea is be
>specialized,then when things are slow,you are busy.

Bingo!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
As in the IT industry, where there is a slow down, specialized services seem to be a luxury instead of the norm and companies tend to look at cutting cost in projects to bring it to a completion.

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
Not looking for salvation,I'm outahere.But for 4.5 years there was more then enough money for all involved,including the trucks(they get most of it anyway).Twas a time is all I can say.For the fleet owners making it,my hat's off.