Mistakes you have made?

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Believing people who told me I could make two grand in a Cargo Van.

Oh, you can make two grand in a week in a cargo van. You're probably not going to do that EVERY week though. I've done it a few times recently in a Sprinter, so it is possible. I don't know about leased on to one company though. It might be harder to get 2k only getting your loads from one source.

zman3k

Seasoned Expediter
All the advice these people have offered is very true, and Holly and I would probably be on the road had we done some/most/all those things, especially the undercapitalization.

All that aside, if you have barn doors, remember to open them before you back into the dock. On our very first load we backed into the dock with the doors closed, I went into the shipper's dock looked at the truck, the dock person looked at me and said something to the effect of that I should have opened those before I backed all the way in...the more you know :D

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Z, how are you guys doing? You two sure seemed to have a lot of enthusiasm for this industry. Sorry it didn't work out for you. Thank you for pointing out the under capitalization factor. I think too many people enter this business short of funds or in debt.

Do you plan on building up some savings and giving it another shot?

Good luck to both of you!

zman3k

Seasoned Expediter
We're doing alright, and we're still enthusiastic about it, we just have to get our house in order so to speak. We're giving some thought to going over the road in a 70+ ft 10-18 wheeler for a while, with a TL company, and get some headway in that respect. One way or another I will be involved in transportation for the better part of my professional life, whether it be driving or operations, it's just too interesting and sometimes, dare I say it, it's even fun. :p

Hope the world is well with you all, and again, let me stress under-capitalization will sink you in very short order, especially given the cost of diesel, up about $1.75 since Holly and I left.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Have to give credit where credit is do: By the way GREAT QUESTION:

Those who have participated here helped me avoid a Big Mistake, but many small ones I was guilty of as Fastman put and probably the best answer on this Posted question.

Expecting to much? I guess that would be the biggest one, and by that I mean what the Carrier promissed me. As Terry said Capitolization will bridge you and a bridge I built in a hurry made a change and it turned out to be ten times better than I had ever thought of. So going from BUMBED out to Cheering in one month.

Thanks to many on this site I still Thank Leo even though we are having a dissagreement at this minute, Terry Dave Rich the list goes on and on.

Everyone on this site willing to help others it is just great to be part of the group. And we do not have to agree either.