Miles?

miko

Expert Expediter
I utilize a 2003 Chevy Cargo van, 256.000 miles on it.
Had to replace drive shaft and front hubs.
Should I turn it in or put some more miles on, whats your opinion?
Vehicle is in excellent shape otherwise.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
My 2000 chev 3500 now has 468K miles. So far, I've replaced fuel pump twice, alternator once and brakes once. I do tune-up at each 100K miles and change oil every 5000. Still runs great. So, Miko, now that you have new hubs and d shaft, I think you can look forward to many more miles.

Terry

miko

Expert Expediter
Terry, thanks for writing. Brakes and such I don't worry too much, fuel pump, alternator I am not sure how much to expect if I have to replace those. Any idea cost wise? Also, someone suggested looking at another engine if that one goes. $3000-$4000 maybe?
I am not sure at this point if I should buy this vehicle from my friend and businesspartner and drive it another 1-2 years, or if I should look closer to a '05 model for $21.000.
Any input greatly appreciated!:)

Miko

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Miko:

I forget what I paid for the alternator, maybe 300 installed. the $400 fuel pump takes two hrs labor for a mechanic. 1/2 hour if you have precut a hole in the floor and you replace it yourself.

If you've got the 1 ton and use it OTR, you should easily get a half million miles from it if you treat it right. Try a simple cost analysis to compare a new with your old van.

Assume each van will be serviceable for 500,000 miles and also assume your van operating expenses (fuel, oil, lube, repairs, tires, supplies, washing, insurance) will be the same for each. Also assume the scrap value of each dead van is equal.

You've got 244,000 miles remaining on a ($10,000?). That'll cost you
41 cents per mile to own the used van.

You'll get 500,000 mile on a $21,000 (that's cheap, I think) van. That'll cost you 42 cents per mile for this van.

These examples are pretty much a wash so if your used one is considerably cheaper, you'll save more than the penny a mile ($2,440). Then again, a new van with the accessories you want and a warranty, may give you a peace of mind worth more than that penny.

Terry

Loose_Cannon47

Expert Expediter
I'm looking at the van option and was on the Chevy site (www.chevrolet.com) yesterday, pricing 2005's...3500 express cargo stretch runs over $28,000 base, with the 4800 gas engine...they didn't even list a diesel option..that will make a significant difference in your CPM...but the 'new' peace of mind, and warranty, is worth quite a bit...I'm not sure how much leeway there is in the MSRP, since I doubt that these are a terribly high volume vehicle..

Loose

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
28K is high for new. I have seen new ones on the lots for 18-21, 3500 extendeds with some options (cruise, a/c power locks) Your right, they are not a really high demand item. However, if there is one on the lot, no one wants it (back to demand again) so they are always willing to deal.

Chevy will have a diesel with a diesel fired heater so you don't have to idle the engine in 06.

miko

Expert Expediter
In the state of WI, those vans run quite high. I checked them out a few weeks ago, and not only was I extremly pissed about the poor customer service, the price almost knocked me out of my shoes. :-(
I was told price will come down as soon the '06 models hit the floor, but not in my area. Dealers have a ton of them sitting in the lot, all same price, all same options, and for the fact that I don't want windows in mine, no dealer was willing to cut me a deal, duw... The hell with them.
I checked one van out in Cincinnati the other day, that one ran $21.000.
I might look into that option a little closer.

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
They ones I saw where in Inver Grove heights, a suburb of Saint Paul Minnesota. Had a red tag in the window "List 28,000 asking 19,500"

Loose_Cannon47

Expert Expediter
Yea, the price I came up with was right off the Chevy site...seemed high to me too, but was the only reference I had...I found some "new" 2004's on www.truckpaper.com that might be worth a look...I think they were about $20k but were listed as E4500's...I guess that would be a 1-ton...no mention of equipment or engine/tranny...if I end up going with a van, you can bet I will do a lot of investigation before purchasing...

Loose

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Based on what you are saying as to the condition of your vehicle I would hang on to it. I had a 98 chevy 1 ton extended, put 447,000 on it and had a good deal so I traded it in. I am at 200,000 on my 2002 van. You can look forwared to changing out the fuel pump eventually, surprised you have not had to do it yet. As long as the rear end, engine and tranny are in good shape the other stuff that will go eventually is well worth it, ie, water pump, fuel pump, tires, tune up, shocks, wheel bearings etc. Good luck.