Mileage on cutaway

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Which cutaway would get the best mileage?

2009 4.8L GAS 4.10 rear axle GMC

2009 6.0L GAS 4.10 rear axle GMC

2008 Duramax 6.6L Diesel 3.73 GMC

Longevity, is the diesel the best?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't know, it all depends on what is put in the back of the thing, a hightop box or a aerodynamic box.

Also the Duramax adds a lot of weight, which is not really good in this business.

Longevity is relativity to how well it is taken care of and how the engine was put together. All in all it is like anything else, you may get a great engine that will last years but then again you may get a lemon.

And I would just stay away from GM altogether.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
I don't know, it all depends on what is put in the back of the thing, a hightop box or a aerodynamic box.

Also the Duramax adds a lot of weight, which is not really good in this business.

Longevity is relativity to how well it is taken care of and how the engine was put together. All in all it is like anything else, you may get a great engine that will last years but then again you may get a lemon.

And I would just stay away from GM altogether.

It will be a aerodynamic box. I will not buy a Found on The Road Dead, had too much trouble with them in the past and Ford doesn't back there work without a fight.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I understand about Ford, the problem with GM is they are in Cheap Mode right now and the dealers may have problems with some warranty issues if they crop up. It has happen in the past back in the 80s and mid-90's when GM had one crisis or another they would fight some of the warranty issues and refuse to pay the dealer.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
I understand about Ford, the problem with GM is they are in Cheap Mode right now and the dealers may have problems with some warranty issues if they crop up. It has happen in the past back in the 80s and mid-90's when GM had one crisis or another they would fight some of the warranty issues and refuse to pay the dealer.

Thanks for the insight.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
If going with gas definately go with the bigger engine 4.8 in a cube in my opinion is way to small, it's gonna have to work harder to keep the truck going.
I had a 6.5 litre diesel van and it was junk. The 6.6 might be better, but as long as GM is manufacturing the engines, I'm staying away. Just my opinion

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I was talking with an interesting guy today, he has a GMC 3500 with a 15 foot box on a cutaway chassis, 6.0 and he claims he is getting 16 overall. Now he claims he can haul 2600lbs but I can't figure that out with a 15 foot box.

Overdrive, what size box are you looking at and who makes it?

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i talked to a landstar team the other nite. his 14'aerocell weighs in at 8k with him, the wife and the blk lab. don't know what else he is carrying. he carved a 4'sleeper out of the box.

i have the furd 4.6. gutless and not much tq. sound and fury but not a drag strip goer. wouldn't suggest the smaller engine for the hwy.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
If going with gas definately go with the bigger engine 4.8 in a cube in my opinion is way to small, it's gonna have to work harder to keep the truck going.
I had a 6.5 litre diesel van and it was junk. The 6.6 might be better, but as long as GM is manufacturing the engines, I'm staying away. Just my opinion

Diesel chassis – 5,095lbs

12’ body with full barn doors – 1,687lbs

Total combined weight – 6,782lbs

Gas chassis – 6.0L – 4,836lbs

12’ body with roll up rear door – 1,274lbs

Total combined weight – 6,110lbs

With a 9600 max load, you could easily load 2700-3000lbs. Depending how much stuff you add to the unit. The diesel will not work, and is grossly over priced. Wasn't the "REV" unit, 13' Aerocell, getting 17 mpg?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Speaking of just body weight, how much more is a 14 and a 16 foot box?

And are you going for a walk through?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Any mileage ideas?

Ford 16' unicell with a 5.4 litre...I got around 12 city/hwy combination straight hwy my guess would be around 14 to 15
Ford 16' regular box with 5.4 litre... I got 10 city/hwy combination since yor pushing a wall down the road i wouldn't say much better then 11 or 12
Both these trucks were dually rear ends
Both boxes had 6 foot inside height, think the aluminum was actually 6'3" because I didn't have to duck under rollup door
Hope this helps

oh and the unicell would probably be lighter since it is fiberglass the other truck I was driving was aluminum box
Do yourself a favor and get some helper springs in the the rear so the trucks front end stays on the ground

Last edited:

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Chevy has improved considerably . Ratings | J.D. Power . What I found interesting here is that Hino rated better than Freightliner . Hino is a good truck for what it was designed for but it wasn't engineered for OTR . It's a shame GM discontinued medium duty production . That line was poorly marketed . Many buyers will now choose between poor quality Fords or Mexican made Dodges or Freightliners . Yes , the M2 has shifted production to Mexico . http://www.gastongazette.com/news/letter-30307-plant-holly.html . Maybe buying Peterbilts or KWs will help keep expediters working . All of you who complained about Cash For Clunkers giving money to foreign auto makers should think about this . Don't buy a $75,000 truck made in Mexico by a German company and complain about someone buying a $20,000 car made in the U.S. by a Japanese company . I'm slightly off topic on that so maybe there should be another thread for responses .

Last edited:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Jack,
So what was it, ford or chevy? and any news on the mileage?

not a box truck. just an ext. can't imagine usine this engine for 90% hwy driving loaded with a box even with an aero walkthru. mileage runs 16-18 depending on everything.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Lack of sleep may have me dreaming, but was that out of the Landstar 14 aerocell or your ford?

MSinger

Expert Expediter
Which cutaway would get the best mileage?

2009 4.8L GAS 4.10 rear axle GMC

2009 6.0L GAS 4.10 rear axle GMC

2008 Duramax 6.6L Diesel 3.73 GMC

Longevity, is the diesel the best?

I may be wrong but I was thinking the only engines that came in the GM cutaway were the 6.0 gas and the 6.6 Duramax.

My 2002 GMC 5.7 gas 15' cube with DRW averages 11.5 mpg for whatever that's worth.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
I was talking with an interesting guy today, he has a GMC 3500 with a 15 foot box on a cutaway chassis, 6.0 and he claims he is getting 16 overall. Now he claims he can haul 2600lbs but I can't figure that out with a 15 foot box.

Overdrive, what size box are you looking at and who makes it?

That's easy, I have one with a 12300GVW that can take about 4200 empty - sounds like that one is lic'd light.