Mercedes engines

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There were some initial problems with them when they entered the market through Freightliner, but the question came up with; How are they doing now? Does it seem like they got the bugs out of them ect?
I had received a couple of emails and my information was somewhat dated. Maybe some of you folks with these engines can offer current firsthand information.
Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have about 18k miles on mine in about 60 days. It's been great so far. It's the 7.2 rated 300/860 and is getting about 9.4 mpg overall through an automatic.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Leo...We have a MBE900 260hp 6.4.It has 184,000 mi and is avg 11.5 mpg.This figure is for OTR only.After idleing is taken out the avg. is 10.5 We recieved one of the early engines with a bad computer design.This flaw only affected the trucks that were spec`d with manual transmissions.In cold weather the engine would "Burp" or hesitate when idling. After 28 days in the shop,the exchange of 3 computers still did not solve the problem.Finaly the engineers came up with a fix that for some strange reason the FL dealership was instructed to make no record of.I was assured it did not violate any laws or compromise safety.The fix was about 98% efective.Other than this and the lack of parts availibility we have been satisfied.We hope the engine proves to be as bullet proof as the MBE engines seem to be world wide.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Okay well mine is in the shop once again. After a software update for the computer they left one of the parameters set wrong, Fan stayed on 100% of the time. Took it back to the shop and they spent two days trying to get back into the computer, so the third day they finally get in and turn the fan completly off. So down in TX. they spent four hours trying to get into the thing... no go. Back in Dayton they spent four more hours trying to get back in, no go.... Now they took one off of a new one on the lot and are trying to get me up for a pick up in western IN. Sunday morning.

We have 143,000 miles on it. 19,000 of it from Oct. 20th till now. I think we must be the only Team that PII has ;>) At this rate we will need a new truck every year and a half.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You are right....you may be the only PII team out there. Let us know if they got your engine fixed
Davekc

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Left there at the end of September. The two times I have been home I have had the truck in for work.

I seem to get great load offers when home on Vacation, we leave a day early to go on a 1000 mile run today with a temp. fix on the truck, when we get back thru here they will put in a new computer.

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
We have these engines in the Freightliner business class at my bae here in NJ. We use them as deicer trucks. We don't really care about MPG since they idle alot but we do use the crap out of them. Lots of idle time and slow driving which is not the best thing for a motor. They seem to run good and seem pretty reliable at least for what we use them for.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
One of the emails was relating to the Mercedes in a class 8. I think he said a 410HP. I know it is simular to the Detroit but other than that, I am not that educated on how their performance has been.
Davekc

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Well we were only gone until Tuesday the beast burped and farted all the way. We could not stand it any longer so they put our new computer in and set the idle at 625 and now it purrs like a kitten.

Jim & Karin

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
Is that an MBE-900 or a -4000?
What make is your truck?
Good luck to you on the fix.
I hope it continues to do well.
Doc.

pendiehouse

Expert Expediter
I currently drive for a large carrier. The account I work at has several Fr8liner daycabs with the 410hp Merc engine. We haven't had any major engine problems. They are running steady with around 250,000 miles on them so far. They tell us not to run out of fuel with this motor because you can't just put some fuel in the tank and filter and get it restarted. It has to be towed to the shop if you run out of go juice.

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
J+K:
Roger on the engine.
Apart from the occasional burping, has the engine otherwise done well?
Would you buy another MBE-900?
Thanks.
Again, best wishes,
Doc.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
that is interesting. Does that apply if they freeze up?
Davekc

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
i HAVE A FL-112 WITH mbe4000-435hp. 10-speed auto. love it 175,000 and not one engine problem yet..drives and pulls like a dream. frank

also one of my drivers ran it out of fuel...put some in each tank and a squirt of ether in breather and on our way. i know your not supposed to ether them, but this was no choice.

happy truckin!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was told the same on mine. If you run out of fuel it has to be towed in. The tanks have to be filled to a decent level. The head has to be removed and fuel put into each cylinder. The filters have to be filled. I forget what else. All told, around $1000 plus towing charges. I start thinking about fuel around the 3/8 mark.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.