Mercedes Benz MB-900 EGR Valve/Cooler

DustyRoads

Active Expediter
I was just reading an update about EGR valve's and failure's. Before you R&R your EGR take some spray cleaner (do not use brake parts cleaner, to hard on the plastics) and clean your MAP sensor. If your MAP senser gets plugged up with soot and dirt it will sometimes interfere with EGR functions. I can try and cut and paste the article on here but it might be to much. They say to clean the MAP sensor on a regular basis. All newer model trucks have them. They also say that keeping it clean helps fuel mileage by as much as 1/2 mpg.
Again use a regular MAP sensor spray cleaner, remove the MAP sensor, clean the entire valve and electronic connectors, let it dry thoroughly before reconnecting the plug.

Hope that helped some.
This is good on all diesels, not just Sprinters.
Do you have a pic of one on the engine?
Thanks [email protected]

Harley

Expert Expediter
PLUS SERVICES, in response to your post:I have a copy of the technical service buletin if anyone needs a copy. This is a quick after market fix and we have had good luck with it. The Detroit Diesel /Mercedes rep has been very understanding about this problem and I have got some financial help from him even on trucks that are beyond the waranty period. I even took a cooler out and had it cleaned at a radiator shop and it's still working.

could you please send a copy of this to me as well at [email protected]. i just bought a truck that has had this repaired by seller, but i want to read about it too. thank you very much. Harley

mikelea

Active Expediter
PLUS SERVICES, in response to your post:I have a copy of the technical service buletin if anyone needs a copy. This is a quick after market fix and we have had good luck with it. The Detroit Diesel /Mercedes rep has been very understanding about this problem and I have got some financial help from him even on trucks that are beyond the waranty period. I even took a cooler out and had it cleaned at a radiator shop and it's still working.

could you please send a copy of this to me as well at [email protected].

Is there a way to delete this garbage part? Block it off etc

please let me know about any details and a copy would be nice too.
this is the 3rd time for my friend and im helping him try to stay out of bankruptcy.
thanks mike

[email protected]

sb40tow

Active Expediter
I have a copy of the technical service buletin if anyone needs a copy. This is a quick after market fix and we have had good luck with it. The Detroit Diesel /Mercedes rep has been very understanding about this problem and I have got some financial help from him even on trucks that are beyond the waranty period. I even took a cooler out and had it cleaned at a radiator shop and it's still working.

HELP asap!
I am in need of the service bulletin copy and or the number. Have been getting the run around from freightliner, detroit, and daimler about not being able to give me that info or even helping be with it. Getting really frustrated over it all. Seems like no one wants to admit to anything and they're hiding something from me. Have a 2007 M-2 with 210,000 miles. Have gone through 3 coolers and 2 valves and also a turbo. Haven't gotten much help on it. My local detroit dealer said they don't work on the mercedes anymore because of the problems. My freightliner dealer quoted me $900 for a new valve. I'm looking for help on the fix and or assistance resolving this through the tsb. Please e-mail me or reply back.
All help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Scott

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Call Midway Ford in Kansas City, Mo., and ask for heavy truck service. There is a bulletin board just outside the customer entry door to the service department. The only thing you'll find there is the TSB that regards the installation of a check valve between the radiator and the coolant bottle, which is supposed to alleviate the problem. Unknown if it totally cures it, but mine has 220k on it since we replaced the cooler and valve.

If yours only has 210k miles on it, I'd assume that the last valve is less than a year old (a guess). That part should be warranteed. Find a different Detroit shop. It's their product.

sb40tow

Active Expediter
As far as the check valve goes. I am just wondering, does this cure the egr valve issue. I know of someone that has replaced 6 valves on theres. Not good at $900 a pop! This is very frustrating.
Thanks,
Scott

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I have about 200k miles on mine since replacement and check valve install. No idea if that was the cure or not, but the $35 part was well worth it, IMHO.

spongebox

Active Expediter
I have a copy of the technical service buletin if anyone needs a copy. This is a quick after market fix and we have had good luck with it. The Detroit Diesel /Mercedes rep has been very understanding about this problem and I have got some financial help from him even on trucks that are beyond the waranty period. I even took a cooler out and had it cleaned at a radiator shop and it's still working.

Can I get a copy please!?!? [email protected]

Thanks!

tenloe

Active Expediter

Please send me a copy of this service bulletin too! Your post is a major help. Thanks. [email protected]

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am driving an '07 M2 with an '06 MBE900. I have been having to add coolant after a long trip, and cannot figure out where it is going. I do not own this truck, but when I got in it in May, the coolant was almost pure water. I figured previous drivers just replaced coolant with water. I found the APU water pump leaking, replaced it. The problem seemed to stop. Now, I'm losing more coolant than before. I don't see any signs of water in engine oil. Is coolant loss a sign of EGR Valve/ Cooler failure?

Posiably a head gasket, warped / cracked head, cooler all of the above

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
There's a check valve that is supposed to be added when a new one is weinstalled. Ask your dealer to research the TSB's (technical service bulletins...but I believe Daimler calls them something else) for that info.

Mine's been replaced twice. We'll go over 500k on the clock in
probably 1.5 weeks.

BTW, warranty is one year on parts, and I believe 120 days on the labor.

Hope that helps.
we had our done and it has the new check valve. So far so good mileage has jumped up good. A shop in anniston al did ours. Garretts truck service and they were cheaper than dealer and do excellent work. Allen is over the shop he is the one to talk to.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A real mechanic will find the problem correct the problem yes, replace needed parts even expensive non servicable ones and the problem will be gone.
Problem with most shops they hire ASE certified parts sellers (service writers) and parts installers. For example I've seen it done replace head gaskets and not check and deck the head or inspect the block and bores. Or replace the blown turbo and not change air filters, clean the plumbing, and do a proper oil change.

That why I to do my own work as much as posiable and what I cant or dont want to do I use a good mechanic not a derailership.

Bob Wolf.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Regardless whether or not your a mechanic it's a good thing to buy a service manual that covers the type engine you have. You don't want to be completely ignorant when talking to a mechanic who is about to take several thousand dollars out of your pocket and may not know anymore than you. You can just Google up your engine type and put manuals next to it and you can send off for them. Any good owner operator with thousands of dollars invested in a machine should know something about it. The hundred buck's you invest in a book could save you thousands later down the road.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Motor publications puts out the shop manuals not cheap about 500 to 600 for the whole set so if you have the ability, tools, and the guts it will guide you through it all. If anyone is intrested I can give you my contact just PM me.

Ads

New Recruit
Owner/Operator

Can you send me a copy of the TSB to admir08@gmail(dot)com? I know that post is old but I just replaced my EGR valve for the 2nd time. It hasn't been 200k since I replaced the first one. Trying to avoid wasting $900+ every time for new EGR valve.

Have you noticed any issues once you installed a relief valve between the radiator and the reservoir antifreeze tank? Have you noticed any benefits or issues with the EGR valve? How long did the EGR valve last you since you added the check valve?